WAG Qualifying to Nationals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I saw there was a really tough Jr. B group in region 8 and the region 1 Jr. As were HUGE!!! How many did region 1 Jr A take to JO nationals?

We

Well yes, I'd rather have my daughter hitting 37's and up, but I'm paying for those 25 hours of stellar coaching and drive her to gym, sometimes in the car for 3 hours RT. She's in the car an extra 15 hours a week to get that training. The point is, that a gymnast scoring 37's at regionals should go, irrespective of what's happening at other meets. I'm fine with gymnasts scoring 35s at regionals and going if that's the top in their region, as long as those scoring higher at other more populated regionals can go too.

You’ll might be surprised to know “Weaker” regions also pay a premium for less competent coaches and still have to drive iver an hour.

Addendum and correction to above —-

We

Well yes, I'd rather have my daughter hitting 37's and up, but I'm paying for those 25 hours of stellar coaching and drive her to gym, sometimes in the car for 3 hours RT. She's in the car an extra 15 hours a week to get that training. The point is, that a gymnast scoring 37's at regionals should go, irrespective of what's happening at other meets. I'm fine with gymnasts scoring 35s at regionals and going if that's the top in their region, as long as those scoring higher at other more populated regionals can go too.

You might be surprised to know “Weaker” regions also pay a premium for less competent coaches and still require commutes of over an hour. Often times it is gym location (high rent areas) that dictate coaching fees and not coaches themselves.

R8 SRC 7th place was a 37.875... That is just nuts!! I was there. Generally, these were not inflated scores

Anyone know how the filler spots are going to go? I saw some 8th place region 8 athletes already stating they made nationals..just wondering which age groups are filling from each region.

I was wondering that as well. I saw a chart this morning, but I do not remember where I saw it!

Based on the Region 4 scores, there will be a few extra spots from their gymnasts not reaching the minimum score. Hopefully some of those will go to Region 8ers scoring 37 plus.

Based on the Region 4 scores, there will be a few extra spots from their gymnasts not reaching the minimum score. Hopefully some of those will go to Region 8ers scoring 37 plus.
6 of them do according to the chart above but they all go to junior spots.

Other sports with regionals feeding into nationals don’t have the same number accepted from each region - they instead look at athlete population sizes in each region and come up with a formula that makes sense.

It’s important to have representation from all regions, but nuts to use the same number of qualifiers for each region. And the current system of giving a region an extra spot here and there based on a minimum score not being met doesn’t go nearly far enough to solve the issue.

The regions need to be redrawn and there needs to be a solution to the huge inequality between age groups, which is even more significant now that there are 12 age groups instead of 8. Region 8 JR E&D session is a great example of this- there are only a few months difference between these girls ages, but there were 18 JR Ds and 33 JR E's. The 7th place for JR D was 36.5, meanwhile there were 17 girls in JR E above a 37!! I completely understand there will never be a completely fair way to do this- but there has got to be a better way than this. Even if age groups were divided based on each region's numbers rather than nationally I think it would be better- I just don't think it would be that big of a difference to go to Nationals and have some girls several months older or younger in various groups. And if this was done in combination of redistributing the regions, the ages would not be that vastly different between regions.

I’ve watched this debate for a few years and the one thing I’ve never understood (and obviously I have no dog in this fight) is why are there so many age groups anyway? They manage competition at the Olympics with 16 year olds against 30+ year olds (thank you Chuso!). Wouldn’t it make sense to have two age groups- junior and senior- and then take a top percentage from each region? Every region would still be represented based on the number of competitors they have.

Other sports with regionals feeding into nationals don’t have the same number accepted from each region - they instead look at athlete population sizes in each region and come up with a formula that makes sense.

It’s important to have representation from all regions, but nuts to use the same number of qualifiers for each region. And the current system of giving a region an extra spot here and there based on a minimum score not being met doesn’t go nearly far enough to solve the issue.

It seems like it's more extreme this year. The
I’ve watched this debate for a few years and the one thing I’ve never understood (and obviously I have no dog in this fight) is why are there so many age groups anyway? They manage competition at the Olympics with 16 year olds against 30+ year olds (thank you Chuso!). Wouldn’t it make sense to have two age groups- junior and senior- and then take a top percentage from each region? Every region would still be represented based on the number of competitors they have.

Yes. The age groups make absolutely no sense.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back