Anon Qualities of Compulsory Gymnasts that Predict Successful Level 10/Collegiate Careers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Coaches are often correct in their evaluations of a gymnasts potential because it’s a self fulfilling prophecy. As a coach if you believe a gymnast will reach a certain level, you will coach them to that goal. If you don’t then you won’t.

Are there things you look for in a L2/L3 gymnast that indicate she might be successful in making it to L10 or college?

To answer again... general athleticism... strength... and flex are huge. The ability to get basic skills very quickly... like BHS and kip. Excellent listening skills. The ability to bounce high very high on trampoline and pick up dance quickly. A solid family structure.

If a gymnast is picked to have "potential" by a coach that has much experience in the upper levels... then I agree with this also...

Coaches are often correct in their evaluations of a gymnasts potential because it’s a self fulfilling prophecy. As a coach if you believe a gymnast will reach a certain level, you will coach them to that goal. If you don’t then you won’t.

Last edited:
You can definetly tell who isn’t going to make it, the girls, the coaches, the parents all know which kids don’t want to be there and aren’t going to stick it out any longer than they have to.

But predicting anything around puberty is like picking lottery numbers. The tiny little stick figure gymnasts who suddenly get a woman’s body? That’s a harsh adjustment.

My daughter was told on the very first day of level 1 that she’d make a better optional gymnast than compulsary - but mental blocks and injuries have gotten in the way of what her true ability really is, and it’s draining honestly, sucks the fun right out of the sport

I think it is really hard to tell. Of the 20 girls that my daughter started with in old level 3, one is competing in college and my daughter (rising senior and committed to top ten D1 program) are still in it. Ironically my daughter was never chosen to be a super star. In fact we were repeatedly told (as she was!) that she would never get a kip, would never be able to do high level bars and didn't have a gymnast body. She made it to level 10 by age 12 and has hung in there as all her friends quit. I think that her coaches sorely underestimated her will and desire. She was willing to do more than others and was willing to do whatever it took to get the skills and keep moving forward in the sport. I would have quit years ago. Seriously. I will say that even as a very little kid, coaches always commented on her work ethic and love for the sport. They always said that they had never seen a kid who loved it more and worked as hard as she did. And it really did come from her- I honestly wanted her to quit and would ask her often if she wanted to move on. It got to the point she asked me to stop asking her and assured me she would absolutely let me know if/ when she was done. (FYI- she expressed appreciation that she knew we fully supported her in doing the sport but that she knew we literally would be JUST as happy - or more so- if she was done. She (and I) have seen far too many parents who are way too invested in the success of their kid.

Are there things you look for in a L2/L3 gymnast that indicate she might be successful in making it to L10 or college? We had a coach tell us that she thought my daughter had what it took to make it to L10 and onto a collegiate career. Our gym does send several girls to college for gymnastics each year, but I don't really know how accurate her estimate is, or what determines that. Obviously a lot could change between now and then, I was just curious to learn more.
I honestly don't think there are any.

I've seen amazing compulsory kids turn into mediocre optionals and vice-versa. I've seen kids who are driven and competitive at compulsories burn out at the mid levels, and I've seen kids who are just in it for fun at compulsories go on to become fiercely competitive optionals. I've seen kids who can barely stay focused at the low levels become the hardest workers at optionals, and vice-versa.

I don't think it's worth the trouble of trying to predict where an athlete will go in the sport; best to just enjoy the present, enjoy the ride, and if they happen to stick with it and become great gymnasts, so much the better!

(The one thing I will say is a predictor of success/failure is this: overbearing parents are an excellent predictor of a kid not making it to the high levels)

For girls, if you are a "bar star" at a young age usually that translates to being a better optional gymnast. Uneven Bars and upper body strength is what stops most gymnasts from advancing in the upper levels. Also if you have high tops testing strength scores at a young age, that usually translates to going further in optionals. But there's so many more variables outside talent and strength. Those are decent indicators.

For girls, if you are a "bar star" at a young age usually that translates to being a better optional gymnast. Uneven Bars and upper body strength is what stops most gymnasts from advancing in the upper levels. Also if you have high tops testing strength scores at a young age, that usually translates to going further in optionals. But there's so many more variables outside talent and strength. Those are decent indicators.
I’m going to disagree that a compulsory ‘bar star’ is a decent indicator. My dd is not, never has been, and likely won’t ever be a star on bars, but she has had a very successful journey and is a D1 commit, not top 10, but still D1. The girls that topped the podium in the compulsory level years on bars have long since left the sport. Most of her TOPS friends have as well with the exception a few.

I’m going to disagree that a compulsory ‘bar star’ is a decent indicator. My dd is not, never has been, and likely won’t ever be a star on bars, but she has had a very successful journey and is a D1 commit, not top 10, but still D1. The girls that topped the podium in the compulsory level years on bars have long since left the sport. Most of her TOPS friends have as well with the exception a few.
like I said, there are so many more variables outside talent and strength. Grit, determination, ability to handle your emotions, family support, coach support and just plain desire to win. Being on top of the podium on bars is gonna make you stand out and win more early. It’s just a huge advantage that gives you an edge in AA scoring and makes moving up levels eaiser. I’ve heard bars described as a gatekeeper skill. I’ve just seen girls hit the wall in this sport when their bars
It’s been the opposite at our gym so far. Every girl is being held back because of uneven bars, while the “bar stars” are 1-2 levels further along entering levels 6-8. Compulsory gymnasts that aren’t strong on bar skills… aren’t getting their giants or clear hip to handstands as easily. Maybe they will catch up by level 10. But strong uneven bars seems to give compulsory gymnasts an edge becoming optional gymnasts at the very least.

like I said, there are so many more variables outside talent and strength. Grit, determination, ability to handle your emotions, family support, coach support and just plain desire to win. Being on top of the podium on bars is gonna make you stand out and win more early. It’s just a huge advantage that gives you an edge in AA scoring and makes moving up levels eaiser. I’ve heard bars described as a gatekeeper skill. I’ve just seen girls hit the wall in this sport when their bars

It’s been the opposite at our gym so far. Every girl is being held back because of uneven bars, while the “bar stars” are 1-2 levels further along entering levels 6-8. Compulsory gymnasts that aren’t strong on bar skills… aren’t getting their giants or clear hip to handstands as easily. Maybe they will catch up by level 10. But strong uneven bars seems to give compulsory gymnasts an edge becoming optional gymnasts at the very least.
My daughter skipped from level 3 to level 6 based on her bars - she competed a level 7 bar routine. She’ll be going into 8 now and it’s literally because of bars - beam… she just scrapes by and hopes for the best, bars however, the gym wants her score for the team score

Compulsory gymnasts that aren’t strong on bar skills… aren’t getting their giants or clear hip to handstands as easily. Maybe they will catch up by level 10. But strong uneven bars seems to give compulsory gymnasts an edge becoming optional gymnasts at the very least.
I can definitely follow and support that logic. My dd moved through the levels really quick so her bars struggles weren’t a problem until they were. And I’m not entirely sure ‘struggle’ would be the best term to use to describe her bars through the levels. She always had 10.0 start values and usually ended up with a score in the 8-ish range. Additionally, she wasn’t trying to be ‘competitive’ most of the time. Typically, it was just to score out to move on to the next or ‘just in case’ type scenarios sooooo you’re more than likely right…..

If you had seen my daughter at level 4 I doubt anyone would have picked her out to have potential in upper levels let alone college. She was sloppy, low scoring, unfocused and crazy in the gym. She repeated level 4, and then something clicked around age 10 and she started rapidly gaining skills out of the blue and jumped right to 7 after that. Scored way better in 7/8 than she ever did as a 4. And now she’s ready for 9 next season and training level 10 skills as a 12 year old. Still TBD of course if she sticks with it, stays injury free and actually makes it to college, but she’s got a shot. Funnily enough most of her superstar level 4 teammates have quit by now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back