Parents Quarantine Over ... Back at Practice ... Wearing Ankle Brace like her doctor told her ... Ran into a problem

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, we have been back in actual practice for 3 weeks (3 days x 1.5 hours). YG has been wearing her ankle brace religiously. On Tuesday, she told me her ankle is bothering her. Her brace isn't working. Can I buy her new plastic inserts for it? ??????
Why new inserts?
Well, during quarantine, her Stepmom washed the brace. She took the plastic stays out before washing the brace. Somebody else took the clothes out of the dryer. They put her brace back in her gymbag so it wouldn't get lost. Not sure who, but somebody found ONE of the plastic inserts about a month ago and SM said to put it in YG's gymbag. Wednesday night, they found the other one ... in the back of the dog cage ... all chewed up! SO i am on the hunt for new inserts.
I even called the company that MADE the brace to see if there was ANY way to get a plastic piece. They don't sell to the general public and they don't sell the individual pieces. They suggested going to Amazon and buying a new brace ... for like $85. I can't afford that in my budget. I am considering taking her back to the ortho to see if he will give her a new brace ... but I know they will require her to do PT (When she first got hurt, she did 1 PT appointment, then SM "talked to some nurse friends" that she knows who said that YG didn't need PT for a sprained ankle.) They were going to work on strengthening her ankles to help with her balance - something that is kinda important on that one gymnastics event .... um ... the BALANCE Beam!

Other ideas I have briefly considered:
Call the ortho and see if there is any way to get new inserts (or a brace) without an appointment. But they keep funny hours, so it might be difficult to even reach them.
2. The small plastic inserts for Tiger Paws / Golden Hands ... see if they would fit, and if they are too wide, grind them down with my multitool. If they are too short, I would try 2 for the one side and the original insert on the other side.
3. Find a less expensive brace with removable inserts and buy it for the inserts.
4. Make my brother clean his room and see if he can find his ankle braces that he doesn't use anymore. I THINK they had removable inserts in them.

That's all I got.

So, we have been back in actual practice for 3 weeks (3 days x 1.5 hours). YG has been wearing her ankle brace religiously. On Tuesday, she told me her ankle is bothering her. Her brace isn't working. Can I buy her new plastic inserts for it? ??????
Why new inserts?
Well, during quarantine, her Stepmom washed the brace. She took the plastic stays out before washing the brace. Somebody else took the clothes out of the dryer. They put her brace back in her gymbag so it wouldn't get lost. Not sure who, but somebody found ONE of the plastic inserts about a month ago and SM said to put it in YG's gymbag. Wednesday night, they found the other one ... in the back of the dog cage ... all chewed up! SO i am on the hunt for new inserts.
I even called the company that MADE the brace to see if there was ANY way to get a plastic piece. They don't sell to the general public and they don't sell the individual pieces. They suggested going to Amazon and buying a new brace ... for like $85. I can't afford that in my budget. I am considering taking her back to the ortho to see if he will give her a new brace ... but I know they will require her to do PT (When she first got hurt, she did 1 PT appointment, then SM "talked to some nurse friends" that she knows who said that YG didn't need PT for a sprained ankle.) They were going to work on strengthening her ankles to help with her balance - something that is kinda important on that one gymnastics event .... um ... the BALANCE Beam!

Other ideas I have briefly considered:
Call the ortho and see if there is any way to get new inserts (or a brace) without an appointment. But they keep funny hours, so it might be difficult to even reach them.
2. The small plastic inserts for Tiger Paws / Golden Hands ... see if they would fit, and if they are too wide, grind them down with my multitool. If they are too short, I would try 2 for the one side and the original insert on the other side.
3. Find a less expensive brace with removable inserts and buy it for the inserts.
4. Make my brother clean his room and see if he can find his ankle braces that he doesn't use anymore. I THINK they had removable inserts in them.

That's all I got.

Does she need the inserts? Or would a lace up brace work?

Does she need the inserts? Or would a lace up brace work?
She needs the inserts. Her brace is lace up with figure 8 straps, then a strap to wrap around the other straps, and the inserts. She has been using it without the inserts and it isn't helping. :'(

Attachments

• 20200818_180231.jpg
    20200818_180231.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
I would call the ortho and see if you could get a replacement brace or inserts. They should be able to do that without another appointment, but most likely you would pay out of pocket. Get a quote and compare pricing.

I would call the ortho and see if you could get a replacement brace or inserts. They should be able to do that without another appointment, but most likely you would pay out of pocket. Get a quote and compare pricing.
Can't afford to pay out of pocket. TRYING to get permission to take her back to the ortho AND get her back into PT.
In the meantime, my brother did find his brace. It didnt have INSERTS, but it did have the hard plastic I needed. I have cut it down to fit. It will work for now.
I just need to get permission to get her in to the doctor so we can get a new brace. She asked her SM ... but SM said her ankle hurts because she uses her brace, and she told her to go without it. GRRRRR. Um, no, her ankle hurts because she was out with her brother and they had to run, but she didn't have her brace on. She tweaked it a little. That plus the pounding of vault and floor (with her brace on, but no inserts) have caused pain.
I am close to contacting her father about it and get his permission to take her (I already have permission to sign the paperwork, but I don't want to take her without a parent's ok).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back