- Aug 7, 2018
With so many delays/cancellations due to covid, not everyone is at the same point but most teams have completed 3-4 meets. I feel like I have watched a pretty wide swath of teams with multiple meets recorded, streamed and attended every weekend in our household. My observations so far:
- Michigan is locked in and is impressive. I really have been impressed with how they have started day one. I went into the season thinking that they did not add anyone to their roster while all the major teams had major upgrades which would spell doom for them. But it is obvious that they are so solid in their execution that they will demand any team to bring their A-game and then some to beat them. They will definitely be in the mix if not favorite for the title. But they gotta stay healthy.
- The fabulous freshman class has been mixed in regards to their impacts on their teams. UCLA, Florida and Utah had the biggest names and numbers coming in. Florida and Utah have been good, but not great (and not to the level of Michigan) and UCLA even worse. Suni has started slow but seems to have had risen the performance of the whole team. Jade is absolutely amazing and in my opinion the best performer so far of the whole class.
- Idk why but my perception is that the level of gymnastics has significantly improved across the board. Scores seem to be up for everyone, maybe judging has gotten looser, but I don't think so. It has been fun watching some of the teams you don't normally hear about, do some amazing gymnastics.
- Oklahoma is not quite Oklahoma of old, yet. But they are still a force to be reckoned with. They always remind me of some East German team, intense, focused, disciplined and determined. I cant wait to see them come to Florida at the end of the season. Last time it was an epic ending and their only regular season loss during their run till recently.
- I still see a final 4 of Oklahoma, Utah, Florida and Michigan but I would not be surprised if another team sneaks in there like LSU, especially if Florida has an injury to Trinity like last year and does the fade that it has done the last 3 postseasons.