NCAA Quarter season done, kinda, what do you think?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym_dad32608

Proud Parent
With so many delays/cancellations due to covid, not everyone is at the same point but most teams have completed 3-4 meets. I feel like I have watched a pretty wide swath of teams with multiple meets recorded, streamed and attended every weekend in our household. My observations so far:
  1. Michigan is locked in and is impressive. I really have been impressed with how they have started day one. I went into the season thinking that they did not add anyone to their roster while all the major teams had major upgrades which would spell doom for them. But it is obvious that they are so solid in their execution that they will demand any team to bring their A-game and then some to beat them. They will definitely be in the mix if not favorite for the title. But they gotta stay healthy.
  2. The fabulous freshman class has been mixed in regards to their impacts on their teams. UCLA, Florida and Utah had the biggest names and numbers coming in. Florida and Utah have been good, but not great (and not to the level of Michigan) and UCLA even worse. Suni has started slow but seems to have had risen the performance of the whole team. Jade is absolutely amazing and in my opinion the best performer so far of the whole class.
  3. Idk why but my perception is that the level of gymnastics has significantly improved across the board. Scores seem to be up for everyone, maybe judging has gotten looser, but I don't think so. It has been fun watching some of the teams you don't normally hear about, do some amazing gymnastics.
  4. Oklahoma is not quite Oklahoma of old, yet. But they are still a force to be reckoned with. They always remind me of some East German team, intense, focused, disciplined and determined. I cant wait to see them come to Florida at the end of the season. Last time it was an epic ending and their only regular season loss during their run till recently.
  5. I still see a final 4 of Oklahoma, Utah, Florida and Michigan but I would not be surprised if another team sneaks in there like LSU, especially if Florida has an injury to Trinity like last year and does the fade that it has done the last 3 postseasons.
What do other people think?

I’m a big fan of Jade Carey. I didn’t expect her to be this good in NCAA and hope she will get a 10 soon.
I don’t follow the meets super closely (I live in Germany and for me the meets are always very late at night) and usually just look for routines that I like. But I’m pretty impressed with Michigan so far. Not so much with UCLA. In 2017/2018 I really enjoyed watching their gymnastics but now I’m not really a big fan anymore.

I'm rooting for Minnesota. Great coaching staff and a great program that doesn't get the credit they deserve.
Loper and Ramler are amazing, so effortless and perfect. Hooten is not far behind, love that floor routine. Not sure they have enough around them to compete for title. But I agree, they should get more credit.

Reactions: JBS
I am loving the fact that I have been able to watch multiple college meets every weekend! (okay I did purchase Big Ten plus so I have even more access!).

It kills me to say this but Georgia needs a new coach. There is a good chance they will finish the season without a win. I continue to be surprised that Georgia isn't attracting the top elites but then I look at their web site and it says they have no Recruiting Coordinator. With kupets long history in the sport she should be a recruiting machine.

UCLA needs a huge coaching change too! Sucks for all the amazing athletes. They have so much untapped talent!

Ucla is really underperforming, but are we surprised by that given what we know? I am glad/sad that Norah Flatley is having such a great year, finally healthy on her senior year.

Georgia is definitely in need of a change, when Kupets came into the league Georgia and Alabama were at about the same level. 5 years later, the trajectory at Alabama is up while Georgia seems the same or worse. But she is a legend there and they care wayyyyy more about the football team than any secondary sport, so she may fly under radar.

Ucla is really underperforming, but are we surprised by that given what we know? I am glad/sad that Norah Flatley is having such a great year, finally healthy on her senior year.

Georgia is definitely in need of a change, when Kupets came into the league Georgia and Alabama were at about the same level. 5 years later, the trajectory at Alabama is up while Georgia seems the same or worse. But she is a legend there and they care wayyyyy more about the football team than any secondary sport, so she may fly under radar.
I'm just thinking they didn't give Jay Clark this much time when he took over after Youclan retired.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back