WAG Question about BWO in Level 5 beam routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amanda

Proud Parent
My dd is preparing to score out of Level 5 (our gym doesn't compete 5) She is currently having a bit of a mental block on her BWO on beam. It's a skill that she has done in the past but has sporadically caused some fear. She used to have a very flexible back so it has always looked good. But then she was very limited on activity for health reasons and didn't do anything that put stress on her back at all for months. As her skills have come back and she has continued to progress on everything- the BWO has not come back. I think she has done it a couple times on middle beam over the last couple months- but sometimes struggles to go backward even on low beam with mats. We limit how many BWOs she can do in a practice because of how hard they can be on the lower back. I know that has made it a little difficult to really do a lot at the place she feels comfortable (ie taking it to the floor line, low beam with mats. etc). Anyway both her age (12) and the fact that she has grown several inches recently make think this block could be here awhile. I have read enough here to mostly keep my mouth shut- and her coaches have been pretty patient. I am just wondering what would happen to her score on beam if she either had to leave it out completely or take a spot. We really are just looking for the mobility score for Level 5- then I think she could work around not wanting to go backwards on beam for Level 6. I am not sure how much more time she has in gymnastics and I know how much she really want to compete a season as an optional- I would hate for one skill to get the way of making that goal. Thanks!

Has she tried the alternate skills? Back extension roll or back handspring?
She just started training BHS a little. She thinks it will be the same thing- not wanting to go backwards. But she won't be as limited in how many she can do, so I think it's worth trying. We've talked about back extension roll- but she thinks it would be really hard on beam. Any thoughts on how it might be different in terms of the backwards mental block?

I agree with @sce - back extension roll is a good alternative especially for gymnasts with back issues. One of my DDs teammates was supposed to compete it (as did my DD), but she was so scared of going backwards that she scratched beam all season, then the coaches let her do it once in the last meet before States so she could score out. She tried her BER, but she fell off without even hitting the beam with her leg first (so she lost the value of the element I think), then fell off again on her full turn. Scored in low 7 on beam, but her other events were strong (9+) so she easily scored out.
I believe leaving out a major element is double the value deduction (2x0.6 so 1.2 point??). Not sure about the spot deduction. But I think if a coach is just standing by the beam, without touching the gymnast, there is not a deduction. And I also don't know how much was the deduction in the example I described above. Probably 0.6 for the skill value + 0.5 for the fall so 1.1 total?? Maybe someone more experienced chimes in and corrects me.

Reactions: sce
I had a gymnast compete a beam routine without a back walkover this year due to a combination of back problems and fear (same age as your daughter too). We were already almost to the first meet when the issue reared it's ugly head so we didn't have time to play with back extensions and back handsprings were also off the table for a bit. She's beautiful on beam and the rest of her routine is stunning, she has scored in the high 7s with the 1.2 deduction for the missing element as well as a few wobbles here and there. So if your daughter's other events are solid and capable of scoring mid-8s, she should be able to get her 32 without it.
However, not all coaches will allow an athlete to compete a routine with a missing skill. The HC at my gym discouraged it and I probably would not have allowed it under a lot of other circumstances, but this kid had a rough season with illness/injury/fears/growth issues and competing a beam routine with a missing skill at least let her have a little bit of a season.

It’s L5 compulsory. There is no sub. I’m not a judge or familiar with the COP. But it’s required, leave it out its a deduction. And if she is scoring out and everything else is ok, she should score out

So for kids that are struggle with a mental block on the BWO, do you think the back handspring or back extension roll would get around that? She says she often just "can't make herself go backward." It seems like it might be the same- although maybe the back extension roll would be different? (But that does look hard!) She has a good back extension roll on floor. I guess the one advantage to either of these options is that she wouldn't be as limited in terms of her repetitions and maybe could spend more time getting comfortable at each stage. I know she would say that both seem harder to her right now.

I had a gymnast compete a beam routine without a back walkover this year due to a combination of back problems and fear (same age as your daughter too). We were already almost to the first meet when the issue reared it's ugly head so we didn't have time to play with back extensions and back handsprings were also off the table for a bit. She's beautiful on beam and the rest of her routine is stunning, she has scored in the high 7s with the 1.2 deduction for the missing element as well as a few wobbles here and there. So if your daughter's other events are solid and capable of scoring mid-8s, she should be able to get her 32 without it.
However, not all coaches will allow an athlete to compete a routine with a missing skill. The HC at my gym discouraged it and I probably would not have allowed it under a lot of other circumstances, but this kid had a rough season with illness/injury/fears/growth issues and competing a beam routine with a missing skill at least let her have a little bit of a season.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I think our gym would let her compete with a missing skill given some of the circumstances- sounds a little similar to your gymnast's situation. The rest of her beam is solid. Time will tell about the rest of her events. Her restrictions and time off definitely had an impact on other events but she seems to be making steady progress.

My daughter had to limit the BWO in the past, but still did the BHS. I think she may have relearned it to put less stress on her back. And the BHS will be used for many years on the beam.

Reactions: sce
No real advice but I feel you. My dd is is the same position (trying to score out of 5) but is struggling with a block going backwards on floor. Her backwalkover on beam is beautiful but put her on the floor and suddenly she can't make herself go. I totally understand where you're at!

Every block is different, but I'd say there's a very real chance that the back extension roll wouldn't feel nearly as scary to her as bwo or bhs simply because you sit down and roll to start rather than hoping your hands will find the beam. And it will absolutely be easier on her back than bwo. You should also consider that there's less of a deduction for attempting the skill and falling on it than for omitting it entirely, so even if she doesn't get it down perfectly, a reasonably decent attempt would get her a few extra tenths while trying to score out.

Just remember the back extension roll is to handstand and then step down; not just a backward roll or to push-up position. But it may be better for her as she will have more control than going backwards blindly.

If your DD has the rest of the lvl5 routine down with minimal wobbles/deductions then she could compete the routine with a lower start value. If she is strong on all other events she will still get the mobility score to move up

No real advice but I feel you. My dd is is the same position (trying to score out of 5) but is struggling with a block going backwards on floor. Her backwalkover on beam is beautiful but put her on the floor and suddenly she can't make herself go. I totally understand where you're at!
It is so hard to watch! I am sorry to hear your daughter is struggling too! Here's hoping they can work through it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back