WAG Question about BWO in Level 5 beam routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So we're still in a similar spot with her meet 2 weeks away. She's had some periods of "having it" but right now, not so much. She either freezes or misses her feet completely. It sounds like her coach is going to spot her. Just curious- I know they take .5 for the spot but does she also lose the value of the skill (.6) AND form deductions? Wondering if leaving it out all together would get her less deductions (.6 x 2= 1.2) I'm mostly just curious. I am fine with the coach making the call. I'm thankful she is willing to spot and she isn't going to make her just try it- in which case I think she would likely just stand up there or stand and then completely fall. I just want to be done with the BWO for good because of the stress it puts on the lower back. All of her other events are in a pretty good place so I think she will be ok to hit the mobility score. Her BHS is coming along pretty well and she should have it in time for Level 6 (if she can keep from developing too much fear). Thanks!

As for the spot, I believe it’s 0.5 plus UP TO the value of the skill depending on how heavy the spot is.
Oh- that sounds better! So it's not necessarily losing the whole value of the skill? I'm not sure how heavy the spot is right now. I have specifically avoided watching beam! I really cannot wait for this meet to be over! Of course, I should probably know better. There's always something else to worry about!

Oh- that sounds better! So it's not necessarily losing the whole value of the skill? I'm not sure how heavy the spot is right now. I have specifically avoided watching beam! I really cannot wait for this meet to be over! Of course, I should probably know better. There's always something else to worry about!

Correct. I will tell you my kiddo scored out two weeks ago. She had never done her bhs back tuck on floor OR her flyway without a spot until that night, and she successfully completed both. The back tuck was rough but she did it! I will also say one girl fell 3 times on beam and lost credit for HS scoring a 6.8. She still scored a 32.

Correct. I will tell you my kiddo scored out two weeks ago. She had never done her bhs back tuck on floor OR her flyway without a spot until that night, and she successfully completed both. The back tuck was rough but she did it! I will also say one girl fell 3 times on beam and lost credit for HS scoring a 6.8. She still scored a 32.
Thank you! That is reassuring! We are going to a meet that has notoriously tough judging but it looks like last year the only girls who didn't meet the mobility score were the ones who scratched events. My dd is still stressed though!

I coached level 5 last year and this sounds like my team's entire season! I think level 5 has a lot of benefits, but it sure is an amazingly stressful level for all involved! But somehow all my kids who competed AA in at least 1 meet managed to get their mobility score and tremendous relief ensued. And most of those scores were achieved with at least 1 event that went horribly wrong or involved me, child, and parent holding our breath through the entire thing.

Update- meet was last night: coach spotted her (a fair amount!) and she still got an 8.25- and that was her lowest score of the meet! WooHoo! Bye-bye BWO!!! Thanks for all of the replies. On to optionals! (Where I am sure I will have all sorts of new things to worry about, but making it to optionals was a major goal of hers, so I'm thankful.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back