Parents Question about how different leo fabrics fit?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

suebee

Proud Parent
DD has been wearing CS in GK since she started gym 3 years ago. Some of the Leo's were big then and I took them in at the crotch, but in the past 6 months, I've let them all out to the fullest.

But while some of them fit great, she's saying that some of them feel tight. None of them look particularly tight, but she says they're a little tighter than she'd like. I measured all of them and while there is some variation, they're pretty similar in length from shoulder to crotch. But I guess the fabrics must have different stretchability, because one of the leos she said is tight (which she loves and actually said is her favorite) is longer than her second favorite Leo that she says isn't tight.

So my question is what fabrics are more stretchy and which are less? Are the ones that are more stretchy able to last longer because they're still comfortable while stretching? Or are they more baggy when not being stretched out?

I would prefer to not have to alter the new Leos and I'm wondering if I buy GK CM if I can expect them to fit or to be too big right now?

Thanks.

My oldest daughter in particular went through a phase of being in between those two sizes with neither fitting well. What worked well for us during that phase was Motionwear brand size child intermediate. The cut is a bit different, but it fit well even for a while after she grew into GK child medium.

It is true that some fabrics will stretch more. For my kids, the velour ones seem to last longer than the metallic ones, but that may not hold true for everyone. Also, if your gym allows it, there is also the option of having her wear bar shorts over her leo which helps solve the problem of a slightly too big leo.

I agree with the above as a general rule of thumb about fabrics, except I found velour to be a little less stretchy than lycra... At least from Snowflake. The lycra ones stretch as DD grows and she seems to wear them forever.

But honestly? Beyond that, I am clueless. I haven't really figured anything out. Different brands fit differently. DD has three mystique/metallic Under Armor leotards. They all fit differently, though they look similar. One CL is too small, one fits just about right, and the third I had to buy in an AXS.

Most CL GK mystique leotards are bordering on too small, but her CL GK competition leo has room to grow.

So I pretty much now only buy from the proshop or at meets where DD can try them on. If I order online these days it's usually limited to the next size up.

My daughter has some that are longer than others, but according to her are too tight. She has a broader chest and is more the Shawn Johnson body type and what I've determined is the arm area has become too tight as more muscles have developed. The mystique fabric seems to be the biggest problem as it has little give. The Rebecca's Mom leotards that are worn by the UCLA gymnasts seem to be the most comfortable and have the most give, even the mystique feels better.

DD also recently starting complaining that her mystique CS GK leos were tight, BUT the lycra ones are still fine. The GK rep also told me that this is typical since the lycra ones are stretchier.

Yep - all the above

Most CL GK mystique leotards are bordering on too small, but her CL GK competition leo has room to grow.

I recently got a GK leo at a comp stand. Got the CL like all DDs others, same fabric and.... Way too big!! More like a AXS. Oh well hope she grows into it!

I have found much variation within and between brands unfortunately, even with similar fabrics :confused: It's a bit of an expensive (at least here in Aust) lottery :mad:

Good luck :)

Thanks, everyone. So I clarified when talking to dd more about her leos that feel "too tight" that they are not too tight in length, which is what I thought she meant when she said they were too tight, but she feels that they feel tight across the chest. And sure enough, it is the mystique leos, which she loves the most because they're shiny and she loves shiny, that she feels are the tightest.

Do the mystique Leos stretch less well across vs. lengthwise, or just don't stretch as well in general?

So now I don't know what to do about getting her new ones. I'm still afraid the CM might be too big although I can alter them (but prefer not to!), but I don't know how much wear she would get out of CS leos in lycra and would hate to spend money buying new leos that she'd outgrow soon.

Maybe I will have to look into other brands like the motion wear. She tried some other brands when she started but a lot of the fits were just off, often around the arms and chest, which are harder for me to alter. For her the GKs seem to fit the best and even if they are too big, taking it in at the crotch seems to make it fine and those kind of alterations aren't noticeable either.

@suebee my DD is fairly narrow, but the main place she complains about her mystique GK leos being tight is her chest/underarms. :)

Fit-wise, DD loves Jamwear best - they're most comfortable, and you can find Lycra with mystique and/or bling accents.

When they start to get get tight, I usually start to buy the next size up, starting with any must-have mystique.

For my DD right now GK Leos are all over the place size wise - the only way for me to know if it will fit her is to look at it (she doesn't need to try it on, I can just tell by looking). Right now she has a mix of GK Leos that range in size from CL to AM that she actively wears ;). She also has a lot of AXS and AS Leos that don't fit her at all anymore - also GK. Only thing I can be sure of is the CM and smaller is too small and AL is way too big - haha!

GK leo sizing is really inconsistent. DD has two leos from their Cirque line. I ordered one online and had to exchange the AS for an AM because it was too small. The next one she bought when we were somewhere that she could try it on and the AM was huge and we bought the AS! When I have them both hanging on the line next to each other you can see that the AS is bigger than the AM, and these are both from the same line! GK clearly feels that our daughters need to learn, from an early age, of the crazy inconsistencies in womens' clothing sizing.

GK leo sizing is really inconsistent. DD has two leos from their Cirque line. I ordered one online and had to exchange the AS for an AM because it was too small. The next one she bought when we were somewhere that she could try it on and the AM was huge and we bought the AS!.

My T&T DD competes in a Cirque line tank leo, and even though every GK practice leo she owns needs to be an AXL, her AM comp leo fits beautifuly. Go figure!

Reactions: sce
One thing I have learned over the years is that (generally) the more seams a leo has, the less stretchy it is. The beautiful ones that are all pieced with different fabrics? Not very stretchy. The ones that are all one fabric are usually very stretchy and the most comfy.

One thing I have learned over the years is that (generally) the more seams a leo has, the less stretchy it is. The beautiful ones that are all pieced with different fabrics? Not very stretchy. The ones that are all one fabric are usually very stretchy and the most comfy.
very good point!

I am getting lucky I guess...my kid still wears cxs and doesn't seem to care how they fit her. ..which is good, seeing as they all fit her different, lol!

DD just moved from CXS to CS, though she can still wear her lycra CXS GKs. The one thing I wanted to mention was we had a lycra GK that had velour piping around the arm and neckholes, and we will never buy one like that again. The lycra had tons of give and was very comfortable, but the velvet piping did not stretch at ALL and not only was it extremely hard to get on and off, it cut in at the armholes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back