Question about recital

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello everyone,
I just had a question about my daughter's upcoming recital. She's 3 1/2 and has been in gymnastics for a year. The dance and gymnastics studio that she goes to is having their recital this June. My question is, since she's been in gymnastics and not dance, her coach is making them do a dance recital, not gymnastics. Their costumes are these clown looking dresses that look nothing like a leo. The coach wants the girls to have their hair up in piggy tails with bows. There is no gymnastics in their act what so ever. I don't understand this.They have never practiced any dance up until they started working on this routine. Is this normal? I just feel like since she's in gymnastics and not dance, gymnastics is what they should be doing. The recital dresses were expensive and can never be worn again. I wouldn't mind paying for a leo that she could have worn for class, but that's not the case. Their act is about 2 minutes long. Then I find out that we are not allowed to take photos during the show, not allow to video tape the show and all of these things has to be purchased from the studio if we want them. A DVD of the performance is $30.00, a small picture package starts at $25.00, (for 4 photos) group photos are seperate, tickets were $10.00 per person. Flower are $12.00 and t-shirts are $12.00. I asked if the girls got a trophey or ribbon for a keepsake and they said no. I just feel like were getting ripped off. I feel like after paying for a year of gymnastics then not being allowed to even video tape her performance is not right. Of course I want photos of her and her team, but I wanted them to be in team leo's, not dresses. I've talked to the other mothers and they all seem fine with it. I don't want to be the only one to complain. I'm just really disappointed. I'm just wondering if anyone else is going through this and what everyone elses thoughts are on it?:confused:

Hi! Had to post...I can relate very well. Went through the same thing with my dd when she was in ballet and tap at 4. VERY pricey, dances were ridiculous, and they spent three months doing nothing but learning the routines...no technique whatsoever...just a money maker for them. Same thing with the dvd's and pics, and no pics allowed...I even got suckered into helping backstage and they told me I could watch from the wings...well, my dd was on the opposite end of the stage from where I had to be, and I didn't even get to see her!!

Anyway, lesson learned! There are studios and gyms out there that will do this kind of thing, but there are also studios and gyms that really do give you quality instruction for the money. My advice to you is, if gymnastics is what she wants to do, find a gym, not one of those gym/dance places. Ask around, you will find someone with a happy experience with someplace.

We have moved my dd to a dance studio where they only do one recital a year, much more reasonable- and they also offer technique classes that don't do a recital dance at all. She is also at a gym that is strictly gym-they do in house meets for the kids that aren't on team, but they wear their own leos and do the USAG routines that are appropriate for their level-parents can take as many pics as they want and video, too, and the kids all get a medal and a goody bag at the end.

Good luck! And I agree...she should have done at least a tumbling routine!! That IS what you paid for!

MOst dance studios do this, they have end of year and Christmas shows where parents get charged to watch their own kids, to buy costumes, to buy pictures and video etc etc. It is a HUGE money maker.

If you really want your little one to do gymnastics move her to a gymnastics club with a good preschool programme.

Also the "gymnastics" taught in dance studios may not be by a real coach or by someone who even knows much about gymnastics. Gymnastics is always best learned in a gym with a real coach.

Dance studios do not have "team", that is all about a gym. At her age though, even in a real gym should wouldn't be on team yet as she is too young, but she can be in programmes that lead to team and she can have a lot of fun!

I am hoping you have some other choices in your area, as the dance studio is doing what works for them financially and they will not be changing. However a word to the wise, gymnastics is also very expensive as they go through the levels.

I've had d in dance and in gymnastics (separate places). It's normal for dance facility to have a recital with pricy outfits, but seems crazy to have a class in gymnastics suddently do a dance routine. My d's dance studio sold dvds, but parents were allowed to tape-just no flash photos. If I were you, I'd go ahead and bring my video and tape it. Chances are no one is going to stop you or even notice. The video's of the younger kids often span the group so you're missing most of your kid's routine while getting a close up of all the other kids-a waste your money when they're so young. The pictures I took myself of my dancer were always better than the ones taken by the professional. I agree with post about finding a gym that's more of a real gym. Good luck.

Thanks Ladies,
I know that gymnastics is an expensive sport and I don't mind paying the price if she's getting taught gymnastics and not dance. I have been looking at other gyms for the future. She's just still so small and this dance/gymnastics place is close,cheap,and she loves her coach. There is no doubt in my mind that she will need to switch to a different gym geared for gymnastics only. I was trying to hold off until she was around 5 years old though. This is the age that her gym that she goes to now lets the girls go into the big gym room. She loves gymnastics and after talking to the lady that runs the dress shop in the gym, I know that these coaches will never get her to a high level. The lady I spoke with basicly told me that no one in that gym, with the exception of the owners daughter, has went past level 6. So the question now is, do I just let her stay in this gymnastics program another year, or should I find a different gym now? :confused: She's only 3 1/2 so I don't know that another gym would teach her much more than the gym she's at would being so young.

Thanks Ladies,
I know that gymnastics is an expensive sport and I don't mind paying the price if she's getting taught gymnastics and not dance. I have been looking at other gyms for the future. She's just still so small and this dance/gymnastics place is close,cheap,and she loves her coach. There is no doubt in my mind that she will need to switch to a different gym geared for gymnastics only. I was trying to hold off until she was around 5 years old though. This is the age that her gym that she goes to now lets the girls go into the big gym room. She loves gymnastics and after talking to the lady that runs the dress shop in the gym, I know that these coaches will never get her to a high level. The lady I spoke with basicly told me that no one in that gym, with the exception of the owners daughter, has went past level 6. So the question now is, do I just let her stay in this gymnastics program another year, or should I find a different gym now? :confused: She's only 3 1/2 so I don't know that another gym would teach her much more than the gym she's at would being so young.

If this current gym is close, cheap and she loves her coach then I see no reason to switch gyms just yet. She is only 3 1/2 after all, so having fun is the most important thing right now. And with the economy the way it is right now, I wouldn't be looking to spend more money if I didn't have to. You are right in that a gym switch down the road is most probable, but for now--I would stay put. Play it year by year for now.

If you decide to stay at the current gym, let them know you aren't interested in dd doing a dance recital next year. Its your money and your child and you can say "no thanks."

Sounds like at some point you will need to move her to a facility that just teaches gymnastics. Might want to start checking on places by stopping in to get some info on their pre-k classes and watching a few. You may find that it doesn't cost much more to have her in a structured gym program than it does at the current place.

I see where you're coming from. Peanut's class is called Tiny Tumbling, and is a combination of dance and gymnastics. He's learned the basics of tumbling, such as rolls, cartwheels, handstands, etc, but he also learns something called creative movement, like skipping, animal walks, and he even understand improv. The studio does a recital in June and his "dance" incorporates both genres, much like a floor routine. If I were you, and I wanted my child to continue both until they decide what they want to do, I'd find a studio that teaches both. Peanut also takes tap, but informed me Monday that he will not be doing tap next year because he thinks it's boring. What can I say, he was born to be a gymnast. We're going to start looking at gyms in the area where he can have more than a half hour of lesson a week because he's made up his mind that that's what he wants, and he's darn good at it!

And as a girl who grew up in both a dance studio and a gym, I understand the whole money-making thing, but the money that is coming from the recital, such as tickets and things, isn't going into the studio owner's pocket. It's often to pay for the rental of the venue which can be as much as $500 or more, as well as to offset other operating costs. And usually when charging for video or photos, that's the price set by the videographer and photographer. They're the ones making the real money.

Different gyms/studios serve different audiences. There are parents who really, really want a fancy recital and think that this is a good opportunity for their children to learn about performance and confidence. They like to invite the grandparents and have the professional video for posterity. And there are parents who just want their kids to get to play and run around. And there are parents who want their kids to go to the Olympics.

Even if your daughter really likes her gym, I don’t think it’s too early to think about a different type of program that you feel would be better for you in the short term and your daughter the long term. When Pickle was 4, she loved watching the “big girlsâ€￾ and seeing what was possible.

Also, I wouldn’t bring a video camera. The studio explained the rules. You may not like them, but they get to set them. Enjoy the performance and buy the DVD if you feel you need a record. And use the costume for Halloween next year.

Actually it sounds very affordable for a recital. It does not really make sense that they are dancing instead of doing gym if that is what they are learning but there are some clear benefits. Once she reaches a higher level of gymnastics, having some dance training will be of extreme value. From level 7 and up they must do their own floor routines and those kids who have done some dance usually score far better. Even at lower levels dance training will really give them the edge for their floor and beam routines. So perhaps this is why the gym gets them to do a bit of dance each year. It also could be a selling point for their dance program, allowing the girls to give some dance a go to see if they like it.

Costumes are always expensive, and rarely can be used again. The average paid for costumes around here is between $80-$120, but it can be as much as $250. And most dance studio's require that the girls purchase several of these expensive costumes each year. Perhaps it can become a dress up outfit, or be worn as fancy dress. You could even try selling it on Ebay when you are done.

No performances ever allow you to take photo's or video's at a performance. This would be like going to the movies and videoing it with your movie camera or going to a professional theatre show and taking photo's of the show. There would be no way they could know if you were actually photographing your own child or other peoples child. Also with video, they don't know if you are planning on making and selling copies or putting it on Ebay or selling the choreography to your dance teacher friend. I know you of course would never do this, but you would be surprised how it can happen more often than you'd think. It used to be almost common practice to turn up at dance competitions and see your routines almost exactly copied.

Again %30 isn't bad for a DVD of the show, here in Australia you will pay around $70 for that. You don't need to but the photo's because there is nothing stopping you from taking your own photo's in costume at home. Most places will also allow you to take group photo's in the dressing room, just not on stage.

$10 is very affordable for the tickets too. The gym/dance studio will have to pay a lot to run the show such as music rights, hiring the venue, lighting, backstage help, sound equipment, props and so on. So the money must come from somewhere. Again around here tickets to kids dance recitals can be up to $50 each.

Don't bother with flowers, why not buy something else as a small recital gift for your gymnast. If you just find you don't want to be involved in this at all, few places will make it compulsory.

I would go on and move if the place isn't really jiving with your values.

I have one DD age 6 on a gymnastics team and they don't have a recital so that's all good. I have made it through meet season, hip hip hooray!

I have a DS in a gymnastics center on pre-team and they are welcome to perform "routines" in the annual recital for $60 incl. t-shirt and probably some little medal, for rec and pre-team kids but it was not compulsory so we passed. :)

DD has 2 dance recitals coming up. One costs $55 for the cost of the costume and no other costs since it's the rec center, we are talking folding chairs with a stage at one end and a boom box. The costume is so ugly it's difficult to look at it. The girls love them. Whatever. Rock on.

Her other recital they are working on very very hard 5-6 hours a week this month, it is a no-tuition church program, and she already had the white leo / tights so I just had to spring for $17 tutu.

When you're deciding what you want to do over the summer / next year get all the info ahead of time so you're prepared. I really can't imagine you would be subjected to a dance recital for a gym class again! I think that's a freak incident.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back