Parents Question about scores.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
As far as I am aware, there is not centralized usag repository of scores, correct?

So my DD is competing alone without her team at a meet in a different state. She’ll be all duly registered and be a guest gymnast of another team (which she trains with while at boarding school), with their coach officially supervising her on the floor. That said, she’s attemptint to score out of L7 so that she can jump into L8 when she gets home. I know that out of state scores can be used for mobility just not to earn a spot at states.

So, my question is this: if this meet does not use MSO (or similar), does her coach, and by proxy usag, just take her word/the word of the other coach that she made the score? Will her home coach just be able to go in and click a button and boom, she’s able to register at meets as a L8? That seems.. weird. Shouldn’t there just be a central/official score tab on each athlete’s usag account? Or something more official than how it’s done, since we have definitely been to meets that didn’t use any online scoring pages and didn’t give out cards either- memories, pictures, and medals was the best you could get to look back as scores.

Official score reports should be sent to the state USAG office if I remember correctly (but I could be wrong). Hopefully the meet will use MSO or something similar. If not, maybe the coach can photocopy / email the official results (or go into her usag account after the meet and change her to an 8 for the other coach).

As far as I am aware, there is not centralized usag repository of scores, correct?

So my DD is competing alone without her team at a meet in a different state. She’ll be all duly registered and be a guest gymnast of another team (which she trains with while at boarding school), with their coach officially supervising her on the floor. That said, she’s attemptint to score out of L7 so that she can jump into L8 when she gets home. I know that out of state scores can be used for mobility just not to earn a spot at states.

So, my question is this: if this meet does not use MSO (or similar), does her coach, and by proxy usag, just take her word/the word of the other coach that she made the score? Will her home coach just be able to go in and click a button and boom, she’s able to register at meets as a L8? That seems.. weird. Shouldn’t there just be a central/official score tab on each athlete’s usag account? Or something more official than how it’s done, since we have definitely been to meets that didn’t use any online scoring pages and didn’t give out cards either- memories, pictures, and medals was the best you could get to look back as scores.
Never heard this before. We have used out of state scores before to qualify to states. As long as its sanctioned. And yes, you have to submit her score. And I think there is a place now where scores can be checked. I can't remember what they're calling it, but its for when the gymnasts are registered at meets, they can just run the USAG number through the computer to make sure everyone is registered properly.

Never heard this before. We have used out of state scores before to qualify to states. As long as its sanctioned. And yes, you have to submit her score. And I think there is a place now where scores can be checked. I can't remember what they're calling it, but its for when the gymnasts are registered at meets, they can just run the USAG number through the computer to make sure everyone is registered properly.
And it includes every sanctioned score? Even the ones that I’ve never seen, even at the meet? That is fantastic! When I asked her HC she wasn’t sure how it would work and assumed she could just take her word/mso and change her level in the system. As for states, maybe it’s just a thing in our state?

They can be used for both and the meet results have to be sent to the state after the completion of the meet. When you register for states there's a space to say which meet they qualified at. For level mobility, you probably won't ever have to tell anyone but I would just know the name of the meet and the host. The coach she is with can also ask for a copy of the scores to be printed at the meet, which I would highly suggest.

A little off topic but does it vary by state as to whether you can use score from out of state meets to qualify for states? We were told it had to be in our own state. My daughter lost 4-6 months from an injury/disease flare and we are not 100% sure she will have all 4 events by the last meet before state. She hit the qualifying score right she had to sit out but it was out of state. Hopefully, it will be a non issue and she will be able to compete all 4. The qualifying score is pretty low- but impossible to hit with a "0" in an event!

A little off topic but does it vary by state as to whether you can use score from out of state meets to qualify for states? We were told it had to be in our own state. My daughter lost 4-6 months from an injury/disease flare and we are not 100% sure she will have all 4 events by the last meet before state. She hit the qualifying score right she had to sit out but it was out of state. Hopefully, it will be a non issue and she will be able to compete all 4. The qualifying score is pretty low- but impossible to hit with a "0" in an event!
It does vary by state ... but in the case of an injury, the state may allow a gymnast to petition in (especially if they had a score from an out of state meet and were starting to add more events in after the injury) ... but it is up to the individual state.

It varies. Our state is pretty strict about this.

Thanks! I am guessing we are in a state that requires it to be in state. I am hoping she will have everything- and her coach did mention the possibility of petitioning her in to do bars and beam. Honestly, with where she has been, we're thankful she is doing gymnastics right now and missing state this year wouldn't be the end of the world.

I would ask the covering coach to request a copy of the her scores from the meet to take with her...there should be some sort of print out that she can get a copy of, even if it has everyone in her age group, it will have her scores there.

I know last year Maryland had it in the policy handbook that qualifying to states had to take place at a meet within the state. DD scored out of two levels last year and that meet did not post anything online. We were told to hold onto the score sheets. I think @MILgymFAM has a great point, there should be a repository of scores kept by USAG.

Yes. It depends on the state. I'm talking specifically about the state in question.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News