WAG Question and small rant about vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My kid is currently L6, and they are drilling tsuks, and flipping them at least into the pit and or landing them on the mats, at this point. I don't think our gym would hold them back from L8 if all other events their skills were solid but they were not flipping a vault. And they wouldn't want them to scratch either.

I'm am not mad at all that she is not doing 8. She is still working on getting bars (pirouetting). She has everything else. I am not really even mad that the 8 aren't doing flipping vaults all the time. It is more the fact that she has waited what seems like forever to do something new in her best event. Level 4,5,6,7. All the same. She does alot of up training in off season (which is why she has her tsuk), but they do virtually none during meet season. In fact, vault takes a back burner to the other events because they all do it well at this point. They have told her she might be able to twist (which she can), but it never happens. She just wants to do her stuff., and one element on one event has stopped her for another year. Yet, it appears to be ok for people to be missing things and still doing 8, so it's confusing. This is her first year of 7, she did 6 last yeat. She just keeps working bars to catch up to her other events.

Only about half of our level 8 girls (we have 20-25 level 8 gymnasts) are doing flipping vaults, most of the older girls are still doing the front handspring. For what it's worth all of the girls that are only doing the front handspring already know that they will be repeating level 8 next year.

As soon as I read this post, I thought, wow, this will probably drum up some conversation on the board. I am interested to hear everyone's weigh in. In our situation, DD has all of her level 8 skills ready for next year, EXCEPT a flipping vault. She has a whole year to get it, so we will see what happens, but she is tiny and stinks at the FHS, so I am kinda holding my breath on the situation.

I've also sat at meets timing vault for level 8-10, and it is scary to see gymnasts chucking the flipping vault when they just aren't ready. I can see both sides to your argument, for sure.
Yeah, that will be my DD's hold back as well. Also really small and short <50 pounds. Kind of a dumb question, but if they have sufficient power, is it still pretty doable if they are tiny?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back