Question...any advice is appreciated!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello!

I'm looking for some advice. My daughter is in a developmental program at our local gym. She is almost 6 and she has been in gymnastics since she was 2 1/2. The program is a pre preteam where 4+5 year olds learn skills to be ready for preteam. They meet twice a week for an hour. This program is only for kids that are selected by the coaches. She has been in this program for 2 full years including the summers. Hopefully in September she will be moving to pre team.

This summer the coaches have moved some younger girls into their class. We now have 3 age groups of girls at 3 completly different skill levels. The newer girls are just learning cart wheels, hand stands, and pull overs where the older girls can do these things really well.

Several of the classes so far this month have been very chaotic. The younger girls have no idea what to do and need attention to keep on task. (I know that this is normal, my daughter was once the little one in the group) There is a lot of standing around, or getting drinks etc. I feel that my daughters class is now working on things that she was working on 2 years ago. I know that she is not perfect on everything but, the things that they have been working on she pretty much mastered some time ago.

The coach mentioned that they would be splitting the group of girls (younger/older with different coaches) but it seems like they are together more then apart. Today during class they were teaching the little ones cart wheels and back walk overs but, had the other girls waiting in line for their turn. So, it was one girl being assisted with a back walk over while the others stood there. This went on for a complete circuit. (usually they work in stations and switch) They older girls had to wait their turn while the younger girls were assisted on just about everything.

I want to talk to her coach but, I don't want it to come across the wrong way. I love the gym and I really like the coaches. I feel like with the three different age groups that my daughter will not learn anything new this summer and that essentially I am wasting my money. I don't want to be labeled that "gym mom whose always complaining"

Do I suck it up and wait for the fall? Should I talk to the coach? If so, what should I say?

Last edited:
any time you have questions you should feel ok to ask question and not feel like you are being labled. Just have a casual conversation with coach to clarify the plan but remember your DD is only 6yo and just at the begining of things

Did I interpret your post correctly that they are teaching back walkovers to 4 and 5 year olds?? Don't most gyms wait until older than that due to potential damage to their developing spines?? I don't think that is allowed at our gym...???

I wouldn't worry about the composition of the class. It's possible that things are the same as they were when your dd started in the pre-prep class, and as your dd changes you notice more the different skill levels.

The pre-prep class sounds like a "collection area" where the most "gymnastic friendly" bodies are sent to learn a few key skills, and wait for the next pre-team cycle to begin. This happens in a lot of gyms, where the kids are pulled out of a class taught by a less experienced instructor. They end up with a more experienced instructor who the h/c trusts to adhere to proper basics. This keeps the enthusiastic, well meaning, wanna-be's from "cutting their teeth" with these kids, who in the process pick up bad habits and develop skill sets with glaring gaps.

I noticed that too monkeysmom...Mom23kids, if you do a search at the top there is a ton of info about bridges and young kids. I've seen different ages, but the general consensus is kids under 5 shouldn't be doing them due to back problems that can rise up years down the road.

About your DD, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If she's been in that developmental class for 2 years, is now the "older" group, she'll probably be moving up soon. I'd talk to the coach, and just ask what they have planned for your DD. You've been there long enough the coaches should know by now if you're crazy or not. ;-)

Having a great gym that you love, and coaches you trust is important. I've read so many horror stories on here, it's not something I'll ever take for granted. If your little one is leaving the gym happy and wanting more, that's what you want to see. It's not a waste of money if your daughter is learning new skills (or perfecting the ones she has), because everything she learns now will be the base of her future. The better she is with the basics, the better she'll be at the "big tricks".

Don't be nervous to talk to her coach though...if you're worried about not coming off as a crazy/complaining gym mom, don't be. The crazy ones never worry about being considered crazy. ;-) If you need a way to bring it up, just tell the coach you're trying to figure out your schedule for fall, and was wondering if your DD's classes would be changing at all.

When does your gym start competing? Your daughter is old enough for Level 4 and has been doing gym for more than half her life. It seems like she would be prepping for fall meets. How does the invite to team work at your gym?

Did I interpret your post correctly that they are teaching back walkovers to 4 and 5 year olds?? Don't most gyms wait until older than that due to potential damage to their developing spines?? I don't think that is allowed at our gym...???

it never ends...*Dunno screams and pulls his own hair*

;)
it never ends...*Dunno screams and pulls his own hair*

Be careful dunno.....You just about gave it away, I mean "outed" yourself. Afterall, how many coaches sporting dinosaur scales are there. Narrow that down by isolating the group with the rapier (snarky) wit, then look for the one guy who's hair is trained to stand perpendicular to his scalp from constant "pulling"....and bingo, you've got dunno!!!:eek: ;) :D

I missed the age bit, makes the situation scary. The idea of children doing walkovers (spotted or not) when they are still learning how to cartwheels is concerning to me. If they can't support themselves upside down during a cartwheel, I hate to think what they look like doing a walkover. Add in the fact that they are not yet five makes it much worse.

I have had girls in gymnastics for over 9 years now, and it always seems rather chaotic in the summer. The competition season in Va goes from Nov to April/May depending on the level. They move girls up in June and if they don't have their skills, can be moved back down in August. Our gym also make the girls repeat alot, like all the level 4s have to automatically repeat. You have a lot of second years practicing with first years. Also summer at the gym is just that, summer. You have coaches and gymnasts leaving for vacations, etc... consistency is down, groups are rearranged to make the numbers even. Trust me, if a mom thinks another child is getting a benefit from less girls in their group, the gym will hear about it. But come September, everything snaps into place again. Girls are where they need to be, second years working with second years, first with firsts.

If you are worried ask the coach to explain how things work. But honestly, I wouldn't worry, things should settle down in another month.

Our gym has had a couple of preteam groups that they've decided not to train for USAG and they've moved them to prep opt/Excel instead of Level 3/4. I don't think it's too much to inquire about what the plan is for your child. Maybe they haven't thought about and by asking they will give it consideration. Let them know what your interest is. Not all families want to commit the time and money required for competitive gymnastics.

Is it possible the coaches don't know how old your daughter is? Or is it possible she is still working on some key skills needed to move to the next training group? Or is it possible your daughter is not quite ready mentally or emotionally for more training or stricter training.

It's a balancing act with the young gymmies. It's tempting to push them when there is natural ability, but coaches have to be careful not to push too hard and scare them or cause burn out.

When does your gym start competing? Your daughter is old enough for Level 4 and has been doing gym for more than half her life. It seems like she would be prepping for fall meets. How does the invite to team work at your gym?

Not all 6yos are ready for L4 even if they have been doing gym for a long time; gym is not just for the swift. My L3 is 8yo. She's been in preteam or team 3+ hours a week since she was a young 5. Sure, it's possible some program that was a better fit for her abilities and interest could have moved her along further.

I though excel programs were for older gymnasts, for example if a L5 or L6 wanted to keep doing gymnastics, but didn't want to compete or put in a ton of hours. Is it common for little gymmies to go to excel that early?

I though excel programs were for older gymnasts, for example if a L5 or L6 wanted to keep doing gymnastics, but didn't want to compete or put in a ton of hours. Is it common for little gymmies to go to excel that early?

Virginia doesn't have an excel program (adopting it in Aug 13), we have a similar program called "All Stars." It has a novice, intermediate and advance levels. The state of VA also doesn't have competition for level 2 and 3s. For our gym, level 3 compete in the All Star Novice division, it is equivalent to the excel bronze. You have to be 6 yrs old to compete in novice. After novice, then they are moved to level 4. The 3 practice 4 hours a week, and we also have a novice team, who does skills a little closer to level 4, who have a higher start value for their routines. They practice 6 hours a week (3 hours 2x week) It is a nice transition because level 4 jumps up to 10.5 hours a week.

Not uncommon to see younger girls(say 7 to 8 yrs) competing the lowest level of xcel(bronze) around here. The skill level is equivilent to level 2 or 3. It is a way to let the younger ones compete who don't want to commit to a pre-team USAG track. A way for them to get to compete while only training 2 to 3 hours per week. I think it is a great way to compete with other recreational sports (soccer,softball etc). Girls in these sports go to practice maybe 1 hour twice per week and then get to go to their games on the weekend. Xcel is becoming a way for gymnastics to compete with these sports.

I only ask because I'm confused. OP's daughter is on the pre-pre-team but is hoping to be on the pre-team in fall. Is the more advanced pre-team essentially level 3 that doesn't compete? Is it a competitive level 3 team? Neither? Understanding the nature of the progression helps to frame a response.

To the OP- if it's a big deal to you, always talk to the coaches. I would personally be more concerned if there were upcoming meets Level 3 or 4 (or whatever applies) that my daughter was losing training time for. Especially if she wasnt ready. If not, as another poster mentioned, it's summer and things seem a little relaxed during summer.

Not uncommon to see younger girls(say 7 to 8 yrs) competing the lowest level of xcel(bronze) around here. The skill level is equivilent to level 2 or 3. It is a way to let the younger ones compete who don't want to commit to a pre-team USAG track. A way for them to get to compete while only training 2 to 3 hours per week. I think it is a great way to compete with other recreational sports (soccer,softball etc). Girls in these sports go to practice maybe 1 hour twice per week and then get to go to their games on the weekend. Xcel is becoming a way for gymnastics to compete with these sports.

That's really interesting. I don't know if any gyms around here do that or not. Is there a difference in prep-op and excel? I do think it's a great idea for letting more gymnasts compete without all the hours the team girls put in. Is it run through USAG too? Or is it totally separate? Sorry for all the questions...I always associated excel with pre-teen/teenager, not littler ones.

Is the more advanced pre-team essentially level 3 that doesn't compete? Is it a competitive level 3 team?

She didn't say anything about competing, I think she just wants her DD moved into the pre-team class, which sounds like it will happen soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back