Coaches Question for all of you coaches...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So it's an issue because of what you're paying and not necessarily with how it's being coached? She's a pre teamer so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless of course, for $400 a month , this gym has made other promises to you..but she still can't compete until she's old enough.

I would definitely investigate other gyms , if just for comparative shopping, and also investigate the one you're in...what are the fees as she moves up the levels (tuition, assessments and coaches fees) , what is their track record for producing successful gymnasts (do they have a great compulsory program , great optional program, lots of elites , are girls getting college scholarships?) . We have a gym in our region that charges exorbitant fees but only concentrates on their elites, to the detriment of the rest of their JO program, but if you asked about their "success" , they would cite their elites' achievements ...so you need to look at everything that goes on in a gym...

YES. I don't expect My daughter to start training for the Olympics tomorrow, so if the class weren't expensive and this new coach spent more time playing but the kids were having fun, I would not have had as much of a problem. I never said the kids were receiving poor coaching, or that I felt my daughter was unsafe. I asked if the new coach's explanation for the drastic changes in the class was typical, because her style was different from our previous coach and every other coach at our gym.

For the price I am paying, yes, I expect my kid to be learning a lot, and when she went from working on a bunch of skills every class to barely any at all, yes, I wondered "well what am I paying for?". Seems perfectly logical, no?

Anyway, lesson learned... Won't ever post any numbers again in regards to money.... People seem to be fixated on it and missing the point of my post all together... :/

Sorry... I guess I was feeling a little attacked because my question seemed to be lost after disclosing tuition. Didn't mean to get snipey. I can (usually) take a joke :)

Sorry... I guess I was feeling a little attacked because my question seemed to be lost after disclosing tuition. Didn't mean to get snipey. I can (usually) take a joke :)
==
no worries, what area of LA are you in? BW AO area? those are the only two gyms that I can think of that would be worth that type of money.

YES. I don't expect My daughter to start training for the Olympics tomorrow, so if the class weren't expensive and this new coach spent more time playing but the kids were having fun, I would not have had as much of a problem. I never said the kids were receiving poor coaching, or that I felt my daughter was unsafe. I asked if the new coach's explanation for the drastic changes in the class was typical, because her style was different from our previous coach and every other coach at our gym.

For the price I am paying, yes, I expect my kid to be learning a lot, and when she went from working on a bunch of skills every class to barely any at all, yes, I wondered "well what am I paying for?". Seems perfectly logical, no?

Anyway, lesson learned... Won't ever post any numbers again in regards to money.... People seem to be fixated on it and missing the point of my post all together... :/

I didn't mean to offend you because even though I'm not paying what you are for rec/preteam for my Level 10, I still expect to get my money's worth ...as i've told my daughter when we've moved gyms, we're not staying at this gym because it would be like burning money in the backyard. But I guess what i was trying to get at was what did the gym say they were going to do for this particular class/group, regardless of the fee? Or were you just figuring that a lot would happen, and it hasn't?

The reason we're fixated on it is because we really can't offer much commentary on how good this coach is from knowing she just worked on handstands. The first thing many great coaches would have done in that scenario is work on handstands as well, but honestly there's no way to know for sure whether her intentions were in line with them, or if her planning was so poor that she only got to handstands and couldn't think of anything else. As I said in my first post, there were no real red flags in your scenario as described.

And, $400 per 3 hours is outrageous. Even for LA this seems like way too much. Presumably you've already paid through May so there's that, but at some point you might want to look into other options because if she moves up to team you may be paying $500 to 600 just for tuition (this I know is possible in some parts of CA, we've had other members pay that) but that is on top of thousands of dollars for assessments, meet fees, and costs related to the meets like airfare and hotels. There may be another gym that is comparable but more reasonably priced. It would be better to switch now than to move to team and realize you have to switch.

And, $400 per 3 hours is outrageous. Even for LA this seems like way too much. Presumably you've already paid through May so there's that, but at some point you might want to look into other options because if she moves up to team you may be paying $500 to 600 just for tuition (this I know is possible in some parts of CA, we've had other members pay that) but that is on top of thousands of dollars for assessments, meet fees, and costs related to the meets like airfare and hotels. There may be another gym that is comparable but more reasonably priced. It would be better to switch now than to move to team and realize you have to switch.

Thank you Gymdog for putting it so eloquently...like you said, I can't even imagine what it will be down the road if this is the going rate for 3 hrs!

I didn't mean to offend you because even though I'm not paying what you are for rec/preteam for my Level 10, I still expect to get my money's worth ...as i've told my daughter when we've moved gyms, we're not staying at this gym because it would be like burning money in the backyard. But I guess what i was trying to get at was what did the gym say they were going to do for this particular class/group, regardless of the fee? Or were you just figuring that a lot would happen, and it hasn't?

No worries.. I guess after the 7th post about tuition, and not really my question, I got a little biffed... sorry if I came off snappy..

Well the way this class was described to us when we were invited to move into it was that it was more focused on form than the rec classes, and it was a chance for the coaches and the families to figure out if competitive gymnastics was a good fit for the child. From day one original coach had the girls doing drills and working on all the apparatus, every class. She had them all do the same thing and would watch and correct, or they would work a circuit of stations and when each girl got to the part of the circuit where she was, she would work with them individually- usually on a skill that required some sort of spot. She also coached the team, so would be absent from time to time when they had meets, and every sub we've ever had did some version of her class with the girls. That's why it was so shocking to have this new person we've never seen, and she isn't doing any of those things with the girls.. in fact isn't using any of the apparatus, or giving corrections because she was busy filling out those forms. I had heard she came from a good gym, so that's why I turned to this forum to get some feedback. I am totally ignorant when it comes to gymnastics because I never did it as a kid, and probably wouldn't have put my kid in it had she not asked (ok, begged). My question was really about this total change in the way the class was structured, because all I had to go on was what I've seen from previous coaches. And I only brought up the tuition because if what new coach is doing will not move dd forward in gymnastics, I don't want to be spending all of that money for nothing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back