Parents Question for seasoned parents and coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

Fliptwisttumble

A couple of times this year, DD has been at larger national type meets. Both times, her coaches (a different one at each meet) mentioned to me that it was good for her to been "seen" and that she was noticed/people were asking about her.

Now this would make sense to me if she was 14 and there were scouts around and we were contemplating NCAA scholarships. But these coaches were referring to other coaches and judges....... And she is 9.

I intend to ask them what this is about/for, but don't want to look dumb. Am I missing something?

I'm sure she'd enjoy competing with familiar faces coached by coaches who greet her with a smile whenever she walks into a competition hall. The same is true with respect to the judges, not to mention they miss very few mistakes, but with the added twist that some hard nosed judges offer down time feedback about what it takes to score well at such a high level. When at the next competition the same judges see their advice has been taken to heart, and respond with slightly higher scores. In most cases the added score is in the range of .05-.10, and is genuinely deserved on technical merit, and every once in a while there'll be a judge who's ego was stroked enough to lean to the lower of two possible deductions..... you know, the .1-.2 deduction isn't always cut and dried.

The bottom line is if she competed locally until she was ready for the "big time" she'd be a bundle of nerves, have few familiar faces for comfort, and be mentally exhausted from taking in so many new sights, sounds, and what a big arena this is...... and there must be over 500 spectators, yikes!, like 3000!

Thank you. That makes complete sense. And in fact they did say the judges did have a couple of comments.

This weekend was her first ever podium competition. It was a beautiful venue (Gymnix in Montreal). But yes, they told me on day one when she looked at it, it was completely overwhelming and she had a moment. Thank goodness she didn't compete until day 3, and had a chance to get used to it. As you note above, they did say getting used to different places is a huge part of why they go to these meets.

Thanks again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back