Coaches Question for the coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just a question: My daughter has a strong backhandspring but I know the next step is two backhandsprings.:eek: I'm just curious how that progression happens. :confused:

The coach will probably just spot her on two when he/she feels she is ready. The back handspring is not the important part...it is the connection between the two. Snap downs are the basic drill.

A few questions...

1. Can your daughter do a roundoff back handspring (RO-BHS)?
2. Can she do a standing BHS to a nice rebound.
3. Does she rebound backwards?

Below is a link to a fairly nice BHS. This girl does have some small problems with her BHS, but she is ready to work 2.

Link Removed

4. How is your daughters BHS compared to that girls?

Interesting.She does a running roundoff/backhandspring and standing backhandspring. She also can do a RO/BHS that is (I'm not sure what it's called) one with only 1 step into it. Her running BHS she rebounds straight up but her standing I don't think she rebounds that much. My dds BHS is a little different than the girl in the link I think my dds does'nt arch in the air as much(?) I hope that makes sense:eek: Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Maintaining power is the main problem...as long as she has a powerful rebound, she should be about ready to work two. I personally don't really teach 2 BHS...I trick them into doing it. I hold them back for a while and work on lots of drills. Once they have a great RO-BHS and standing BHS...I just tell them to go for it. I spot them the first few times. They are always very surprised to find out they can already do the skill.;)

I never teach them from a run. If they must run to do two, then they are not ready. One step RO-BHS-BHS or power hurdle RO-2BHS is the way I normally do it.

Thanks!

That's what it was! Power hurdle ROBHS! Hopefully she can make her standing BHS a little longer like the one she does when she's running. Right now it's somewhat more crunched up than it should be. I don't know why she rebounds and stretches her PH ROBHS and the running one in her floor routine but her standing one isn't the same. Oh well, work in progress :p. Thanks again!!!

Gymnasts tend to find a ROBHS easier than a standing BHS, coaches teach the standing BHS first to correct proper technique. Flexibility is probably the reason her standing one is crunched up, she uses power from the RO to make up for it in her running passes. You can help your daughter by having her stretch her shoulders at home.

Gymnasts spend so more time fixing a back handsprings and can get frustrated if they feel the coach is not letting them move on with connections. Round offs and back handsprings are the beginning of all back tumbling passes and need to be corrected early as to not form bad habits that are harder to fix later on. Stay positive with your daughter and check with her coaches to see if there is anything they want her doing at home.

I think audra is right, it is very important to learn your back tumbling correctly. I used to sit way to low in my ro-bhs. I was so interested in getting the ro-bhs that it cost me a lot of time fixing it later on.:mad:

I have always had weak back tumbling. When people se me front tumble, they think I am this amzing tumbler, but not so much!

Update

She did it the other day. She was apprehensive about trying it but the coach said if she did it she would LET her climb the rope:D haha it worked! Coach said she can't believe she can be bribed with conditioning;) Thanks everybody!:)

That's good. My coaches are the same way. If I go for something new, the coaches let me lead conditioning or include press handstands. Other girls are told if they don't do something, they have to condition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back