WAG Question regarding nationals and recording...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

FlippinLilysMom

Proud Parent
We got a message from our coaches stating that there is no photography or video recording allowed at nationals, that you have to purchase the photos and/or videos from the meet photographer. My question is, how strict are they about this? Are they going to be confiscating people's cell phones when they enter the arena? I just can't imagine not being able to video tape DDs routines, I record absolutely everything (and it really helps me feel somewhat "removed" and less stressed when i'm hiding behind my ipad recording her). Anyone purchase the videos from the meet photographer? Just curious as to how much that costs.

Im guessing this is a safe sport measure. You might not maliciously be filming your kid. But someone with a camera could have illintentions. So they just say no cameras period.

We got a message from our coaches stating that there is no photography or video recording allowed at nationals, that you have to purchase the photos and/or videos from the meet photographer. My question is, how strict are they about this? Are they going to be confiscating people's cell phones when they enter the arena? I just can't imagine not being able to video tape DDs routines, I record absolutely everything (and it really helps me feel somewhat "removed" and less stressed when i'm hiding behind my ipad recording her). Anyone purchase the videos from the meet photographer? Just curious as to how much that costs.
People do record on their phones. Last year I purchased the photos and videos for $200. Well worth the money.

I bought the pictures/videos taken by the pros every year (2005-2015) , except 2010 when USAG hired a horrible company for the JO meet in California....if the contact person is Renee, run like the wind away from her crappy shoot....she didn’t have ONE usable photo that year.. ...Team Photo and John Cheng and his team did all the other national meets and they are fabulous!!! I always had too many photos to pick from with them...and they are worth every penny.

Im guessing this is a safe sport measure. You might not maliciously be filming your kid. But someone with a camera could have illintentions. So they just say no cameras period.
I would think that it is revenue driven and not a thing to do with safe sport.

Me I’m a sucker for the professional photos and my kid is just a L7. Given what gymnastics costs me a few more bucks for on the floor photos and I’m there.

And I bwould still shoot/film. Yep a total distraction and forces me to watch my sailor mouth when stressed.

Very interesting, my DD is going to T&T Nationals and checking the website it says the same thing. She also went last year and everyone was taking video. It does say that personal photos are allowed. I am not sure if it said no video last year.

From what I read on the link at the USAG website, it says video recording is prohibited, but any photos taken are for personal use only. It goes into a little more detail, so I think you can take pictures but not video. I think the coaches are interpreting the instructions incorrectly (according to what it says on the site).

"Audio-Visual Recording. No video cameras of any kind are allowed, and using cell phones to record video is also prohibited. No portion of the event may be recorded in any form, including audio, without prior written approval from USA Gymnastics.

Live streaming apps. The use of live streaming apps (such as Periscope, Meerkat, etc.) is not allowed in the venue during USA Gymnastics events.

Photography. All images taken during the event are for personal use only, and any commercial use, distribution or sale is prohibited. The use of professional equipment is strictly prohibited, including cameras with detachable lenses or lenses greater than 35MM, tripods and monopods. No flash photography or strobes of any kind."

The prof pics and videos from easterns last year were well worth the money. Videos were from much better angle and pics were of every event.

Thank you all for your replies! We will probably purchase the videos but not the pictures as we just purchased professional pics from regionals.

Not every parent can attend, and not every family can afford the jacked up prices at the meets. These rules are punishing the wrong people. Parents should be allowed to video their daughter's routines at the biggest meet of their career (thus far). We pay enough money to get them there, we shouldn't have to fork over $$$$ to record their routines.

I would think that it is revenue driven and not a thing to do with safe sport.

I've attended JO nationals in the past and was able to photograph and record even with a professional on site. Bookworm or anyone else have any idea when this rule went in to place? I also have a feeling it's being fueled by SafeSport...

Is this the same rule for Easterns as well? I hate to think so as I always video and text DD's routines to my spouse during the meet so that they can be a part of it.

Reactions: sce
From what I read on the link at the USAG website, it says video recording is prohibited, but any photos taken are for personal use only. It goes into a little more detail, so I think you can take pictures but not video. I think the coaches are interpreting the instructions incorrectly (according to what it says on the site).

"Audio-Visual Recording. No video cameras of any kind are allowed, and using cell phones to record video is also prohibited. No portion of the event may be recorded in any form, including audio, without prior written approval from USA Gymnastics.

Live streaming apps. The use of live streaming apps (such as Periscope, Meerkat, etc.) is not allowed in the venue during USA Gymnastics events.

Photography. All images taken during the event are for personal use only, and any commercial use, distribution or sale is prohibited. The use of professional equipment is strictly prohibited, including cameras with detachable lenses or lenses greater than 35MM, tripods and monopods. No flash photography or strobes of any kind."

From my research, this is on the page with the elite championships, the premier events. These are meets where someone has the rights to the videos for that meet. This does not refer to general club meets.

Not sure about why at WAG nationals it is not allowed. MAG nationals it is (but we also do not get professionals videoing).

I seem to recall this rule (or similar) being in place for the last 5 years that I've attended Easterns/JO's but they don't stop people in the stands from recording their own kids.

That said, the photos and videos from John Cheng and his Team Photo staff are worth every penny! (My avatar pic is from Easterns).

Not every parent can attend, and not every family can afford the jacked up prices at the meets. These rules are punishing the wrong people. Parents should be allowed to video their daughter's routines at the biggest meet of their career (thus far). We pay enough money to get them there, we shouldn't have to fork over $$$$ to record their routines.
You can record. I believe this was up on the jo website last year. They are not going to stop you from videoing you own child.

From my research, this is on the page with the elite championships, the premier events. These are meets where someone has the rights to the videos for that meet. This does not refer to general club meets.

Not sure about why at WAG nationals it is not allowed. MAG nationals it is (but we also do not get professionals videoing).
This was with the Level 9 Eastern information about the meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back