Question/strategy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

C's MOM

Callie doing bwo ff - YouTube
This is DD trying to get the bwo ff on beam. She seems to be on at times, but she also is not at other times. She would like to move it to the high beam, but is unsure if she can stick it. She usually isn't fearful, and I'm not sure her inability now stems from fear. What I have noticed at times is that when she goes into her bwo her hips are not square. This causes her to not get the skill all the way through. I told her to keep her hips straight, follow her hands all the way through, and to begin the bwo by picking a spot on the wall across from her to look at from beginning to end. I'm sure her coaches have told her similar strategies.
I am asking here because DD expressed concern today after practice and wanted me to help her. I will talk with her coaches, but I don't want to sound pesty. I know these coaches have to field so much from other parents, and I don't want to be a burden. Perhaps if you watch her video, you may be able to offer some much needed advice. Thank you in advance!:)

BTW she is training level 7 now. So this is a skill she needs for her level. At least, this is the connection they are working on with her.

I'd encourage her to talk to the coaches herself. That way there's no translation needed between your daughter and the experts. :) (And while your gym may have its own standards, she has options besides a BWO-BHS for L7 beam, at least as far as USAG is concerned.)

Your daughter should ask her coaches or perhaps her older teammates who may have struggled with the same skill. I don't know how old she is, but she really doesn't need a go-between for something like this.

they're fine. you're in a new gym. she was off a couple of days due to the move. different environment. it'll all take care of itself in a couple of weeks.:)

they're fine. you're in a new gym. she was off a couple of days due to the move. different environment. it'll all take care of itself in a couple of weeks.:)
Thanks dunno. I told her to keep working and she will get it. This is the first time she has been frustrated with gymnastics and has voiced it to me. I will tell her to talk with her coaches. Because she is 8 I still worry about her.
The move has thrown some of the girls off but being in a bigger gym excites them all.

She's just gonna have to be patient, as it takes a while to learn and trust the action of tranistioning from the bwo into the bhs. Looks like she'll get it pretty soon, based on the fact that she's working it at a rate of 1 every 15 seconds, which indicates a certain level of confidence and/or work ethic, or talent, or desire or, or, or..........

Let's see.......One every 15 seconds......3600 seconds per hour......14 waking hours in a day minus two hours for meals and everything else........:eek: :D

She's just gonna have to be patient, as it takes a while to learn and trust the action of tranistioning from the bwo into the bhs. Looks like she'll get it pretty soon, based on the fact that she's working it at a rate of 1 every 15 seconds, which indicates a certain level of confidence and/or work ethic, or talent, or desire or, or, or..........

Let's see.......One every 15 seconds......3600 seconds per hour......14 waking hours in a day minus two hours for meals and everything else........:eek: :D
It might be a combo of all three. She really wants to get it along with all her 7 skills. But you are right she has to be patient.

Also be aware that the learning curve as the levels get higher is much bigger. Didn't she compete Level 5 last season? So, if she is training Level 7 now, she theoretically has to learn level 6 & level 7 skills--a lot for any gymnast. Have her set smaller goals for herself each practice, like sticking 5 in a row on low beam and then gradually move up to high beam. It is natural for fear to set in as the skills get more difficult, but the fear can be lessened or managed with consistency and patience. Good luck!!!

Also be aware that the learning curve as the levels get higher is much bigger. Didn't she compete Level 5 last season? So, if she is training Level 7 now, she theoretically has to learn level 6 & level 7 skills--a lot for any gymnast. Have her set smaller goals for herself each practice, like sticking 5 in a row on low beam and then gradually move up to high beam. It is natural for fear to set in as the skills get more difficult, but the fear can be lessened or managed with consistency and patience. Good luck!!!
Thank you! She has her six skills. Most she has had for a year. But yes, with determination, and hard work she will get the connection on the high beam. The coaches do work with the girls and gradually progress their skills. I have told her to talk more with her coaches throughout practice.

And another bit of advice--explain to her that as she progresses through the levels, some skills become exponentially harder. My dd breezed through Level 4 with 9's and thought that Level 5 would be just as easy. But it wasn't. That is just an example of how they can get caught up in the "roll that they are on" and expect everything else to come just as easy. I know she is probably very excited and so psyched that she is getting these big skills. Just let her know that she will have good days and bad and not get discouraged and expect too much from herself. Communication with coaches is key. Slow and steady wins the race and in C's case it seems like she has been moving pretty steadily quicker than most.

And another bit of advice--explain to her that as she progresses through the levels, some skills become exponentially harder. My dd breezed through Level 4 with 9's and thought that Level 5 would be just as easy. But it wasn't. That is just an example of how they can get caught up in the "roll that they are on" and expect everything else to come just as easy. I know she is probably very excited and so psyched that she is getting these big skills. Just let her know that she will have good days and bad and not get discouraged and expect too much from herself. Communication with coaches is key. Slow and steady wins the race and in C's case it seems like she has been moving pretty steadily quicker than most.
Thanks for the great advice. She chimed today that she was going to work harder. She is very excited to be learning what she calls ' harder' skills! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back