WAG Questions about competing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So up until now I’ve done purely recreational gymnastics and I’m around level 3 (or will be once I get my back handspring). I probably won’t compete but if I ever did consider it I have some questions about it:

How much does it cost? Right now my parents spend $200/month for 3 hours of practice a week. Are competition costs separate from training costs?

Is 13 too old to compete Xcel Silver? Has anyone else done it?

How much of a hassle is it? I’m homeschooled and my parents are work from home so we have pretty flexible schedules, but even on other forums here there are a lot of people talking about their less than positive experiences with troubles with traveling for meets etc.

Is it worth it? Even though I AM homeschooled I still pay a lot of attention to my studies and have other interests. Would I need to sacrifice my grades to be that great?

What are the best and worst things about being a competitive gymnast?

That’s all for now, I really appreciate your answers.

So up until now I’ve done purely recreational gymnastics and I’m around level 3 (or will be once I get my back handspring). I probably won’t compete but if I ever did consider it I have some questions about it:

How much does it cost? Right now my parents spend $200/month for 3 hours of practice a week. Are competition costs separate from training costs?

Is 13 too old to compete Xcel Silver? Has anyone else done it?

How much of a hassle is it? I’m homeschooled and my parents are work from home so we have pretty flexible schedules, but even on other forums here there are a lot of people talking about their less than positive experiences with troubles with traveling for meets etc.

Is it worth it? Even though I AM homeschooled I still pay a lot of attention to my studies and have other interests. Would I need to sacrifice my grades to be that great?

What are the best and worst things about being a competitive gymnast?

That’s all for now, I really appreciate your answers.
1. Not exactly sure, it varies. Usually the entry fee per meet is around 150 where I live. Then our competition attire is around 500.

2. Not at all! Xcel has such a wide variety of ages competing every level, you wouldn't be out of place by any means.

3. It isn't to bad, I would ask to see your gyms schedule last year to test the waters. Meets normally last around 4 hours. For distance, when I was competing we normally did local meets from 30 minutes to 2 hours away, with 1 or 2 travel meets not including states or regionals. Xcel can be different than DP however.

4. In my opinion, it is a very fun and rewarding experience.

5. You shouldn't have to sacrifice your grades for it. Most competitions are done on the weekend, not effecting school, and for you, being homeschooled, if it was on a friday you may be able to make up school.

6. The best thing about competing, for me, is being able to watch my steady growth and improvement. For me, gymnastics progress never was linear or logical, but every season I competed I felt as if my all around score range improved with new growth, maturity, and body awareness. The worst thing is that it can be stressful- and some people don't compete how they practice which may be frustrating. That never was me though.

Let me do my best to answer.

1) My daughter practiced 6hrs/week with Xcel Silver. I won't tell you what it cost. We live in a very expensive city. 200/mo for 3 hours of rec/week is an incredible deal you won't find here.

2) The gyms we've been to charge a separate fee for the competitions. They run about $100 each just to enter. Leotards, warmups, etc are added on.

3) 13 is not too old. Your teammates will be younger (10-12), but we had a 13YO in Silver last year and she was fine.

4) Your gym will choose the season's meets. If you live somewhere remote, you will be travelling. If you live in a big city (we are in SoCal) then it's less of an issue because there are choices. We've only travelled to Las Vegas.
4a) As discussed before, sometimes there are school day competitions which make me absolutely bananas, but that seems to be just how it is in a lot of sports.

5) My daughter is a straight A student at a rigorous private school, even though her new gym has 12 hrs/wk for practice at XGold. It can be done, you just have to get ahead of it sometimes.

6) My daughter loves competing. She loves performing. She's amazing. The downside is that sometimes she doesn't perform as well as she'd like and she takes it HARD. Whoof. Not pretty.

On another note, teams usually add athletes in May, after Regionals. That's when you try out.

Good luck! I hope you get what you need!

If you are interested in competing, I recommend making that known to your gym now. They can answer all your questions and see if that is an option they're willing to give you. Our gym has had silvers in high school, so definitely no age barrier for us, but all of these things will vary widely from program to program.

1. Not exactly sure, it varies. Usually the entry fee per meet is around 150 where I live. Then our competition attire is around 500.

2. Not at all! Xcel has such a wide variety of ages competing every level, you wouldn't be out of place by any means.

3. It isn't to bad, I would ask to see your gyms schedule last year to test the waters. Meets normally last around 4 hours. For distance, when I was competing we normally did local meets from 30 minutes to 2 hours away, with 1 or 2 travel meets not including states or regionals. Xcel can be different than DP however.

4. In my opinion, it is a very fun and rewarding experience.

5. You shouldn't have to sacrifice your grades for it. Most competitions are done on the weekend, not effecting school, and for you, being homeschooled, if it was on a friday you may be able to make up school.

6. The best thing about competing, for me, is being able to watch my steady growth and improvement. For me, gymnastics progress never was linear or logical, but every season I competed I felt as if my all around score range improved with new growth, maturity, and body awareness. The worst thing is that it can be stressful- and some people don't compete how they practice which may be frustrating. That never was me though.
By attire does that mean the leotards? 500 dollars for a leotard is..........a lot of dough XD is that normal?

By attire does that mean the leotards? 500 dollars for a leotard is..........a lot of dough XD is that normal?
Welll....depends.
The warmups (jacket and pants) are one expense. They last you a few years.
The leotard can get really pricey. It depends on the gym, but they all do too much in my part of the world.

In BOTH our gyms, we got second hand leo and warmups from an older girl who'd grown out of them. That's between you and the family but the gym will put you in touch.

By attire I mean all of it, leotard, jacket, pants, backpack, and slides, and that is for two years as we keep our stuff for two competition cycles. It also depends on the year, and how expensive the leotards they choose are.

Although, fyi, at our gym the xcel's leotards are stock leotards and same with the jackets so they are much cheaper.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back