Parents Questions about Xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

No, your answers are very condesending, and Iit gets old. But you're saying there's no compulsory in the fall where you live? That's pretty standard nation-wide. In-between means they compete level 3 in the fall then Xcel in the spring. Then the next season they compete Level 4 in the fall and Xcel in the spring. That's an Xcel season "in between" compulsory seasons. Or they can compete Level 6 and the next season not be ready for 7 so they compete Xcel, then the next season compete Level 7, making that Xcel season "in between" levels 6 and 7. THAT'S what is meant by "in-between."

That's not the way it works here. XCEL and compulsory are at the same time.

Anything is possible but currently highly unlikely.

The JO pool is much bigger.
There is a girl on a NCAA team (I forget which one, but I watched them versus Cornell on TV) that only competed JOGA and High School. She never competed JO. Since JOGA is a much smaller pool than even Xcel, I am even more certain it is just a matter of time.

That's not the way it works here. XCEL and compulsory are at the same time.
Yes, here as well. BUT, and this is the point that is being missed I guess, "in-between" just means between 2 levels. The example is your gymnast competes level 3, but can't get her kip so she competes silver or gold the next comp season, whenever that is. Then the next comp season she competes level 4. I many states (there, I qualified it for some people), they can compete level 4 in the fall, then gold in the spring, and level 5 in the fall; or silver in the fall and level 4 in the spring, etc. It's still "in between," whether its because they aren't ready to move up or because their gym wants them to compete in both fall and spring.

And to the others, yes, our state has compulsories and Xcel in both fall and spring, but they have limited the state meets to just fall for levels under 4; they also have AAU, which is a spring comp season for levels 1-5 and Xcel, which is the same as USAG except it costs less to be a member, and in our state the level 3 routines are different (it is judged exactly like USAG, with the exception of spring board requirements and the run in vault).

There is a girl on a NCAA team (I forget which one, but I watched them versus Cornell on TV) that only competed JOGA and High School. She never competed JO. Since JOGA is a much smaller pool than even Xcel, I am even more certain it is just a matter of time.

Again, anything is possible and exceptions always happen.

It will however always be rare. The talent pool (Elite, JO etc) is just to deep and the spots available too few.

And when you say NCAA. What division? And what capacity? Are they competing? How did they come to be on the team? Recruited or walk on.

Because typically when parents wonder about gymnastics leading to college they are wondering about scholarships and being recruited, which means Div 1 and to a lesser degree Div 2.

Even the Division 3 schools in our area pretty much have nearly all L10s on their teams.

Also we know just like JO, not all Xcel teams train the same way. I know first hand of Xcel teams that train more then our JO team.

I didn’t say couldn’t. I said unlikely, if you like rare better, that’s ok too.

Again, anything is possible and exceptions always happen.

It will however always be rare. The talent pool (Elite, JO etc) is just to deep and the spots available too few.

And when you say NCAA. What division? And what capacity? Are they competing? How did they come to be on the team? Recruited or walk on.

Because typically when parents wonder about gymnastics leading to college they are wondering about scholarships and being recruited, which means Div 1 and to a lesser degree Div 2.

Even the Division 3 schools in our area pretty much have nearly all L10s on their teams.

Also we know just like JO, not all Xcel teams train the same way. I know first hand of Xcel teams that train more then our JO team.

I didn’t say couldn’t. I said unlikely, if you like rare better, that’s ok too.
It was a Division 3 school. She competed floor in the meet I watched ... but she is listed as competing Beam and Floor. She may have been recruited. I don't know her personally, but she did compete at a College Bound Invitational.
But JOGA does have a "a proud tradition of preparing gymnasts who choose to continue to participate in gymnastics in college" according to their website. Granted, 29/59 of the ones listed went on to compete on NAIGC College Club teams. I don't know the Divisions of all the colleges they went on to compete at, but at least 2 are currently competing D1 in the B1G (Big 10).
I think that when EVENTUALLY an Xcel gymnast makes it onto an NCAA team, it will be at a Division 3 school. The elites and Nationals caliber L10s will have all the D1 spots.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back