Parents Questions for parents of kids with ADHD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has ADHD. We did not medicate her until she was 7.5. She is 10 years old now. She is very physically talented, but the gym actually waited a year before putting her on team due to focus difficulties. She is also very smart, but she has been slow to mature and seems a year below her actual age. The medication helped her tremendously. She takes long-acting in the morning and a short acting to cover homework and late afternoon/evening practices. Body awareness has always been a bit harder for her than the other kids. I think it takes a little bit longer for the signal to reach her brain to get tight. But, she has terrific speed and progressed pretty quickly up the levels. She got better and better each year. She does not have issues falling asleep due to the medication. It seems to have the opposite effect of calming her very active brain. She is very tiny and thin though. Some of that is genetics, but I'm sure the medication plays a role. Gymnastics has actually been a great sport for her!

UPDATE
She has just started on a long acting stimulant. It is definitely going to wear off by homework/gym practice time so we are going to have to add a short acting dose for the evening.

The medicine is definitely not what I feared it would be. She is still her normal, energetic, bubbly self. She is getting her schoolwork done within a reasonable time now. She was actually able to sit and a read a book for a full hour. She has had no side effects so far. She even has her normal appetite. Her doctor wants her on the long acting for a week before we add the short acting. I am really hoping this helps her focus on gym the way it is helping her at home/school.
Now I am regretful that I waited so long to start her on meds. She could have had a more successful school year and meet season, if I had not been so close minded about starting meds.

I still haven't decided if I should even mention anything to her coaches. I am definitely still struggling with the stigma surrounding this diagnosis but I really appreciate everyone's helpful input and advice!

UPDATE
She has just started on a long acting stimulant. It is definitely going to wear off by homework/gym practice time so we are going to have to add a short acting dose for the evening.

This is exactly what my dd does and it works for the most part. Gymnastics helps a ton with keeping her appetite up and we have not had any issues with that either.

I don't think there is a stigma with the diagnosis. The stigma comes from parents who use it as an excuse to let their children misbehave. Yes, my son has ADHD and I'm a teacher, so I see both sides.
Maybe I didnt use the right word then. I dont know. I definitely worry about friends and family members seeing her differently or judging us because we decided to medicate her.

Maybe I didnt use the right word then. I dont know. I definitely worry about friends and family members seeing her differently or judging us because we decided to medicate her.
IF anyone says anything ask them... "What IS it OK to medicate? Asthma? Allergies? High Blood Pressure? Diabetes? Cancer? Bi-Polar?

She has a condition that can be controlled with medication when behavior modification wasnt working. She is doing better. They can find a nice dark corner and... ... ... themselves if they feel like passing judgement ;)

My son was diagnosed at 8 and started focalin XR. He took it until he was 15 yo and he decided to stop one day. He had no issues on the medication and it helped him academically and in gymnastics. I didnt make i big deal about it with the coaches since they were more old school people who didnt believe in ADHD, but they still noticed a clear difference after he began the meds.
I never made ADHD a bad thing.....ever. I told my son he had a special ability to multitask and think of a lot at one time, but because of his young age it was hard to control it. I explained the medication was to help calm down his thoughts so he could do one thing at a time and when he got older, the meds would reinforce those good habits. He would not have to live on medication as long as he learned to manage ADHD with exercise, relatation and mindfulness.
He is almost 18 and off meds, and he is a good student, very responsible kid, and although he no longer does gymnastics, he coaches and loves it.

Medication isnt for everyone, but in our case it helped a lot. My son went from hearing 'pay attention, work harder, stop goofing off' to 'good work, thank you, and well done'.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

My son was diagnosed at 8 and started focalin XR. He took it until he was 15 yo and he decided to stop one day. He had no issues on the medication and it helped him academically and in gymnastics. I didnt make i big deal about it with the coaches since they were more old school people who didnt believe in ADHD, but they still noticed a clear difference after he began the meds.
I never made ADHD a bad thing.....ever. I told my son he had a special ability to multitask and think of a lot at one time, but because of his young age it was hard to control it. I explained the medication was to help calm down his thoughts so he could do one thing at a time and when he got older, the meds would reinforce those good habits. He would not have to live on medication as long as he learned to manage ADHD with exercise, relatation and mindfulness.
He is almost 18 and off meds, and he is a good student, very responsible kid, and although he no longer does gymnastics, he coaches and loves it.

Medication isnt for everyone, but in our case it helped a lot. My son went from hearing 'pay attention, work harder, stop goofing off' to 'good work, thank you, and well done'.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Your story about your son was really good for me to read. My hope for her is that she can get off meds when she gets older. She is on focalin xr and it is definitely helping. I like the way you explained ADHD to your son in a positive light. She asked me “is it bad that I have adhd?” And it really broke my heart. I never wanted her to think there was something wrong with her.

Your story about your son was really good for me to read. My hope for her is that she can get off meds when she gets older. She is on focalin xr and it is definitely helping. I like the way you explained ADHD to your son in a positive light. She asked me “is it bad that I have adhd?” And it really broke my heart. I never wanted her to think there was something wrong with her.
ADHD is not a bad thing. Its a trait....the world needs these people, they are the paramedics, the stuntmen, ER doctors, and everyone who thrives under pressure. AND GYMNASTS!!
my son will never be a well read attorney or lab-room researcher- he needs a high pressure job that will require excitement, fast thinking and reflxes. People with ADHD were made to feel bad because they dont fit well int he 'well behaved little suzy' school box. They don't sit still, they use a lot of the teachers time and attention.......But its OK, medication will force them into the box that society wants and once they are done with school they are free to fly. Don't ever think ADHD is bad, just use it to her benefit!
PS -I bet she loves competing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back