WAG Questions on Orthotics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stxrdusty

Coach
Gymnast
These are a couple questions that I haven't found a lot of information on anywhere.

1. I need to wear orthotics in my shoes for plantar fasciitis and I've tried several varieties and found that they actually make the tendon on the bottom of my foot more sore rather than less. I was wondering if other have experienced this in tandem with being gymnasts and had any recommendations.

2. I have trouble getting 3/4 length orthotics to stay in place in my shoes. They often slide down under the arch of my foot and hurt terribly, so I usually take them out rather than readjust them every couple hundred steps. I wanted to know if anyone had a solution to this problem.

Thanks for your input!

I've heard that double-sided tape helps orthotics stay in, but I've never tried it. In mine, I just make sure that I push the orthotic all the way into the heel part of my shoe so it won't move.

Not a gymnast, but do have plantar fasciitis. Are your orthotics from a doctor or just a a drug store? I'm not sure how long you've had them, but my podiatrist told me when I got them that you had to break them in over a period of 2 weeks. The first day only wear for 30 minutes and slowly increase the time over the 2 weeks. Why are they only half orthotics?

I agree with breaking them in slowly/weaning in.
I recommend spenco inserts, they come in 3/4 and full, based shoe size.
If you still have pain after weaning into them and using them pretty consistently as well as doing stretching before bed and before you get up (with a towel or theraband around your ball of your foot stretching the foot/achilles/calf) and doing towel scrunches on the floor (lay a bath towel on a smooth non carpeted floor and using your toes scrunch it back toward your heel.) Then I would recommend seeing a podiatrist to get evaluated for custom orthotics.

Not a gymnast, but do have plantar fasciitis. Are your orthotics from a doctor or just a a drug store? I'm not sure how long you've had them, but my podiatrist told me when I got them that you had to break them in over a period of 2 weeks. The first day only wear for 30 minutes and slowly increase the time over the 2 weeks. Why are they only half orthotics?
They are from the drug store.

I agree with breaking them in slowly/weaning in.
I recommend spenco inserts, they come in 3/4 and full, based shoe size.
If you still have pain after weaning into them and using them pretty consistently as well as doing stretching before bed and before you get up (with a towel or theraband around your ball of your foot stretching the foot/achilles/calf) and doing towel scrunches on the floor (lay a bath towel on a smooth non carpeted floor and using your toes scrunch it back toward your heel.) Then I would recommend seeing a podiatrist to get evaluated for custom orthotics.
All these recommendations may be helpful, thanks a bunch.

It sounds like you need custom inserts. Most shoe stores that sell diabetic shoes and most podiatrists can do them. They are expensive, but so, so worth it.

What brand of orthotics are you using right now?

Oh, and get the X Brace. Wear it anytime you are doing gymnastics, or going barefoot.

What kind of shoes do you wear usually?

Some running shoe stores also make custom orthotics. They are made while you wait and may be cheaper than going through an orthopedist. One of my dd's wore them for a couple years to help with pronation issues. They were full-soled and comfortable.

I have orthotics from the hospital that were custom made. They are only about 2/3 of the length of my foot, and ever since I got them, I've called them my 'toture devices'. I have PF too and they hurt the tendon under my foot. You definitely have to build up to wearing them; after about half an hour in the first day I was limping around London and had to stop to take them out of my shoes.

As for keeping them in shoes, they will not stay in fairly open (I call them 'dolly shoes' but idk if that's a real thing) shoes, and those will not support your feet properly either. It's cold here so I mostly wear boots and as long as you push them right back (I've got good at doing that with my toes as I put my boot on) in the beginning they generally stay put in those, even inside ugg boots. When it's warmer I try to wear more supportive/sturdy shoes that can accommodate the, but when I can't I just don't wear them that day. I figure it won't do that much harm to miss one day once in a while.

It sounds like you need custom inserts. Most shoe stores that sell diabetic shoes and most podiatrists can do them. They are expensive, but so, so worth it.

What brand of orthotics are you using right now?

I do not know the brand as I never wear them because they fall down in my shoes.
I only wear athletic shoes such as those made for running or walking. Occasionally (about 3-4 times a month) I also wear combat boots. The orthotics do not stay in place in either of these shoe types.

Get the Aetrex Lyncos sports orthotics. You can go to their website to find a store that has an iStep scanner and it will tell you which one you should get for your foot type. They are amazing and really help. Also, they are full length (you buy them according to shoe size and they completely replace the insert pad that came with your shoes... you don't just put them in on top of the pad the shoe came with).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back