WAG Questions: Women&girls only

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Emflips

Gymnast
I'm not quite their yet but I have some questions about periods and gymnastics.
What shorts aee the best?
Best underwear?
Pad, tampon, or cup? And which brands?
Best pain reliever?
What about competion?
And not period related but whats the best no show bra for competition?

I'm not quite their yet but I have some questions about periods and gymnastics.
What shorts aee the best?
Regular shorts work fine
Best underwear?
Well, at least clean underwear right before practice
Pad, tampon, or cup? And which brands?
I've used just a pad in practice and I've also done pad and tampon on the days it was worse or in competition
Best pain reliever?
I use naproxen, but this is doctor prescribed only. Iboprofen or Femina should do the trick
What about competion?
I usually will get a new pad after 2 rotations, or use a pad and tampon at the same time. If your club is open to it, you can wear shorts if that makes you feel more comfortable
And not period related but whats the best no show bra for competition?
Depends on your Leo. We have an open upper back (like a circle). But regular bras don't support enough. So I wear a sport bra matching the color surrounding the hole (black) and hope I don't get deducted. If you can find one, you can wear tan as well. But the shipping costs for a tan bra are way to much for me, since they almost exclusively come from the US

thinx panties in sport nude colored. (they are washable panties with the "pad" built in, so you can wear nothing else or wear with a tampon in case of leaks.
GK has good thin strapped competition bras and capes has a clear backed one if your leo calls for that.

The best underwear for me would be anything a little thicker and dark in color.

I always used tampons - I couldn't imagine using a pad for gymnastics, I think it would worry me and feel so awkward. But I know other girls do that and don't have issues with it. The brand doesn't really matter that much to me - I think plastic applicators feel a little more comfortable than cardboard or no applicator. I'd usually change it once an hour at the beginning (heaviest part) of my period, so after each event when people would go get water.

For competitions, I'd do the same thing. Tampon, change it about once an hour if it was a heavy day, or maybe every two hours if not. I never wore shorts so that difference wasn't an issue.

For bras, I wore a tan sports bra that didn't have a ton of support. I didn't love it - I wished I could find something more like our regular practice sports bras but tan.

What is "Femina"? Naproxen is sold over the counter in the USA.
It's from aleve I think?
IMG_20180503_081021.png

You said you're 'not quite there yet', so it is difficult to even tell how your period will affect you. Asking your mom how her period effected her when she was your age could give you a better idea (if it was heavy/light, painful, long, etc)

I usually don't need pain relief for my period. Occasionally Advil (ibuprofen) does the trick.
I also strictly wore tampons & a thong when I was an athlete. Maybe a panty liner as backup (they make them for thong underwear).

It will take trial-and error until you find a routine that works for you.

My best suggestion is to have "period underwear" that might get stained - but at least you don't ruin your 'favorite' pairs,

For those that have mentioned Thinx, do you feel they work well? I've seen them advertised and have wondered. We've got a long while for my gymanst but I have a ballerina that's getting close. I love the idea of these.

thinx panties in sport nude colored. (they are washable panties with the "pad" built in, so you can wear nothing else or wear with a tampon in case of leaks.
GK has good thin strapped competition bras and capes has a clear backed one if your leo calls for that.

My ballerina and gymnast both swear by them. My girls have five pairs each and they’ve been holding up over a year now.

How well do the thinx panties work not wearing anything else? And how well do they wash? Do you just change them out like you would a pad?

Reactions: sce
They do work well for light days without backup, and we rinse them and then wash them on the gentle cycle and lay flat to dry. My girls have a pair for each day of their period.

They do work well for light days without backup, and we rinse them and then wash them on the gentle cycle and lay flat to dry. My girls have a pair for each day of their period.
So you wear them for a whole day? No leaking or smell?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back