For Parents Quick beam series question

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
Jul 12, 2016
Country
USA
Can anyone tell me how long a handstand needs to be held in a HS-BHS series? My kid is repeating 7 for what is left of this season after training for 8 all year (then getting injured), so she plans to compete a BHS-BHS that she had planned for 8, but will use a HS-BHS as a back up. I noticed that last season a lot of girls who competed that series lost credit supposedly because they did not hold the handstand long enough. Thank in advance!

Carly

Proud Parent
Jan 3, 2016
Country
USA
I'm pretty sure that it is 2 seconds. I recall that being what the coach told my dd. I watched one of her videos and she held it that long and scored over a 9 so it must have counted.

Reactions: CuriousCate

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
Jul 12, 2016
Country
USA
I hope she doesn't need to use it and if she does, I hope the judges count to 2 very quickly! ;) She can def hold it longer than she does, but I think the anxiety of knowing she has to connect it, makes her just move through too quickly!

CLgym

Proud Parent
Dec 22, 2014
Country
USA
Mine did hs-bhs sometimes in L7 and it is full two seconds (“1 gymnastics 2 gymnastics”). She got hit at least once - maybe twice - for not holding ling enough and lost connection credit I think.

Reactions: CuriousCate

Aussie_coach

Moderator/Coach
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Club Owner
Jan 4, 2008
Country
Australia
2 seconds is the standard of beam for a handstand to count as an Acro skill, even in the FIF code of points.

Most judges will be very picky about it, they won’t count to two quickly. I tell my gymnasts to hold at least 4 seconds to be sure.

Trending Threads