Parents Quick fixes for calloused and painful hands??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilbert

Proud Parent
DD L8 has been training hard for regionals and her hands are a mess. They are really hurting, and limited her practice on bars this morning. She has practice again tonight and has to train until Saturday's competition. She has tried tea bags, used Bag Balm (which is usually great btw,) and Eucerin and other ointments; sleeps with gloves at nigh, etc. Does anybody have any other remedies to help calm them down and minimize the pain? She has also taken Advil (for back pain), and that doesn't do anything for the pain. Eager for recommendations. Thanks!

Pumice stone, Preparation H and tea bags have been a game changer for my DD this spring. Her hands are under control now but she uses a pumice stone after every practice. One rip was so bad that her coach actually took her off bars for two days so it could heal up before a meet (this has NEVER happened where the coach had her stop bars and she's had plenty of nasty rips).

Her routine this spring for the really bad calluses and rips was to use a tea bag right after practice and lather up in PrepH before bed. Then a small layer in the morning before heading off to school. She uses the pumice stone after each practice. She says the pumice stone makes a huge difference.

We've had good luck with Joshua Tree Gymnast Salve, I'm not sure if it is available anywhere local to you but you can get it with 1 or two day shipping on Amazon. I usually wrap DD's hands after putting it on right before she goes to bed when she has really bad callouses or a recent rip. It helps a LOT!

Our gymnasts are encouraged to pumice their callouses after each session.
We also recommend dabbing surgical spirit on them - only on the calluses, not on rips.

There is a whole routine recommended by British gymnastics somewhere. It's on our wall at gym. I'll see if I can find it and share the link.

I'm swearing by something called WODWelder...It's for the crossfit types :) It really healed up my kiddos ugly rips this past summer. Like quick. I got her this stick stuff....

Sorry meant to also say not just for rips but just rough hands...they have all these testimonials and I believe the hype :)

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1461101178.734677.jpg

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1461101192.819454.jpg

Mine does the maintenance (shaving calluses/pumice stone, balm, etc). But when they are on fire or she has a semi healed rip she puts on Nurofen Maximum Strength gel (with 10% ibuprofen) before practices. Takes sting and swelling out. It's not a cure, just helps get through bar rotation.

I think it dries the hands too much. Perpetually dry is not good, skin cracks has not elasticity and the calluses pull and rip more.
exactly right- the high level of alcohol severely dries out the skin and can undo all the hard work of bag balm and vitamin E oil- her hands drastically improved once we stopped that!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back