WAG Quick Question: How long can a Level 7 Floor Routine be?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2G&D

Proud Parent
What is the maximum time limit for a Level 7 floor routine? Can it be 1:30?

My daughter just switched gyms and levels, and is being told the max length is 1:20. But everything I'm reading online says Levels 7 - 10 can be up to 1:30 (and Level 6 can be up to 1:15).

I completely understand all the benefits of a shorter routine. And, I have the utmost respect and trust for her coaches. The one coach is saying that the 1:20 max length is a USAG rule... but I can't find it anywhere to show my daughter. (The only reason I looked at all was because my daughter's been competing a routine that is 1:30 long and doesn't want to have to modify it.)

Thanks in advance to those who respond!

1:30 for 7 and above. It may be a gym preference to keep it under 1:20. Just like I've seen gyms have two versus three tumbling passes.

it could be that gym likes to keep it at 1:20 in order to not get a time deduction. timing is done by the parents running the meet and if they don't know how to properly time, you could get an unfair time deduction b/c they don't know to start when gymnast starts and stop when gymnast stops and to not go by the music. happened to one of our girls at one meet. her routine is under the allotted time for level 9 but she got a deduction. evidently someone didn't know how to time. :mad:

My girl's is 1:30 on the nose. And it really flows nicely. And scores ok too, unless she makes a major error, which of course is always entirely possible with this sport.
This said....um...the coach might not take kindly if you fill them in....hmm....
I honestly would probably say "Gee she is so overwhelmed with all the changes, we are ok if she gets a deduction, can we please keep it the same?" ;)
Otherwise I would probably suck it up and go with it, because the last thing I would want is a problem with new coaches for my child when she is already thrust into a new level at a new gym and everything including emotions are new.
Just my opinion. FWIW.

Our gym still has me cutting music's shorter half way thru the season to minimize deductions.
Our longest Level 7+ were 1:30 and are down to 1:20-1:25. Our shortest started out at 1:05 and it has been cut to 0:53.
For Level 6, nobody has music over 1:06 (with a 1:15 max time).
For Xcel Gold, music ranges from 0:37-0:57 (with a 1:00 max time).

Interesting that there appears to be no minimum time. I guess by virtue of getting everything needed in it sort of gets the time to average out to a "typical" time.

My daughter just switched gyms and levels, and is being told the max length is 1:20. But everything I'm reading online says Levels 7 - 10 can be up to 1:30 (and Level 6 can be up to 1:15).

OK me just thinking out loud. If there was a gym switch I would assume it was because you/she thought this would be a better place for her.

I would do what the coach wanted. But that is us.

Thanks to everyone who replied! Glad to know I wasn't crazy or reading the site incorrectly. :)

I'm leaving the topic alone and will leave it up to my daughter to discuss any necessary changes in the routine with her coach. Hopefully, it'll result in not only a cleaner/better scoring routine, but also an opportunity for them to get to know each other a bit more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back