Quick snacks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am hopeless about decent eating this year and my final resort is now just to keep a box of chewy granola bars in the car. Two days a week, DS finishes school, goes to play practice for two hours, and then goes from play practice straight to gym, so the granola bars are his only sustenance until he gets home at 9:30. It's probably a nutritionist's nightmare, but it seems to work for him.

It sucks having someone in the gym every single night of the week. The only nights we can have family dinners are Saturday and Sunday, and eldest is often off with his friends on weekends.

I hear you on the family dinners... we eat together once or twice per week at best. I miss that!

For snacks, DS has a protein bar (usually the Nature Valley brand with peanuts and chocolate) on the way to practice (we go straight from school). Then during the 3- and 4-hour practices, he has a Luna protein bar, some sort of protein/breakfast-type shake, and a piece of fruit. That seems to be enough to get him through.

We probably overdo it on the protein bars, but he is picky and that is one thing I can count on him to eat. I look for ones with low sugar.

We also do cheese sticks, nuts, applesauce, grapes, and other small, portable snacks. Between practices and pickiness, it's tough to get him to eat a full meal, so I just stock the house with healthy snack options. Looking for other ideas!

I like this healthy snack forum :)

Some of my favorites are applesauce, yogurt (Greek 100), mixed fruit, steamed veggies, and green beans.
I also like Premier Protein shakes. They have 30 grams of protein, only 3 grams of fat, 160 calories, and 50% daily value in calcium.

Not a gymnast any longer, but sometimes I feel as though I get more of a workout as the coach. I race from one job to the next- 12 hour days with little in the way of actual breaks to sit and eat something decent. So I snack throughout the day. I carry plain old V-8 in my car for a quick "meal" along with granola bars with minimal ingredients (sometimes I make my own, not so much recently) to eat on the run. Clementines are usually part of my grab and go snack bags this time of year.
I also love plain Greek yogurt with fruit and homemade granola- though that's a bit tricky to eat in the car so is more of a meal replacement when I do have a moment to stand and shovel it in.
I also love cheese and organic whole grain crackers (Costco is a great resource for those), celery with almond butter/peanut butter, red pepper slices, and apples.

Greek yogourt with fruit and a little granola, clementines, grapes or crackers with cheese, veg and hummus, Kashi granola bars, homemade wraps, & homemade low sugar fruit muffins are my favourites. Low fat, low sodium turkey bacon is becoming a favourite.

DS is very small and a very picky eater. We have done graham cracker sandwiches- graham crackers with peanut butter and bananas- easy to pack and eat on the go. Also- just cheese slices, jerky, yogurt, and bagels with cream cheese seem to be good options for him. A lot of our team boys have bento box type snacks- crackers, meat, nuts, fruit and will snack on breaks.

DD is easy - nuts, cheese, fruit with peanut butter, home made baked goods with additional protein and whole grain and less sugar, etc. BUT my DSs are horribly picky. The youngest will do chocolate milk, veggie/fruit juice mixes or smoothies, and granola bars (not with nuts so really glorified candy bars). My oldest survives on pizza, milk, and popcorn. Oh, and hotdogs. I know, its amazing he can walk, let alone do high level gymnastics. I haven't completely given up, but really close! I am thrilled with this new forum - lots of good ideas and many the boys will try one or 2 - DD and I will have fun! (too bad she's not competing this year to try things out - but still training 16-20 hours a week...)

Apple slices with peanut butter: not great for actually bringing to gym, but they work well to eat before or after practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back