Parents Quitting due to fear?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mumoftwogymnasts

Proud Parent
I've always told both my gymnasts that continuing to do gymnastics is their choice, that when it stops being fun is the time to reconsider.

Ds has been ambivalent for a few months, saying that gym "is no fun anymore" and flip flopping between continuing one day and then quitting the next day, sometimes he changes his mind about gymnastics several times a day! He has several fear issues, that the coach has attempted to address, but with little improvement.

If it is no fun anymore, well I agree then it is time to move on to something else. I had just hoped that when he moved on it would be on his terms not because he was scared of a skill or apparatus. But then again, if they are really scared and can't overcome that fear, what other choice is there?

Sounds like a tough situation and I feel for you. From what I hear, reaching a certain point where the gymmie is afraid of the new skills is a big reason for leaving the sport. I know my DD is struggling with the BWO on the high beam - not because of lack of skill but because of fear. Some have said that as parents we really should just let them be and they will work it out themselves.

But then, there are those that cannot get over the fear. Perhaps you can have him take some time off, maybe a few weeks or scale back to rec if he is on team. Maybe he would like trying a different sport for a little while. We have had a few girls leave and come back because the other sports they tried just never gave them the sense of satisfaction that gymnastics does.

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back