Quitting gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stargazer

Gymnast
Hey all you adult gymnasts out there! I was wondering if you have any advice on transitioning from competitive gymnastics to adult recreational classes?

I'm 18, Level 5 and training 8 hours a week with a coach I love and obviously, doing a sport I adore. This is only my second year in competitive, I joined very late, and I'm not sure if I will have enough money to come back next year. It's over $2000 a year and I'm a university student so that's a lot of money. The thing is, gymnastics has been my passion since I was 12, and even though I train with girls ages 12-16 I'm in love with the sport and don't want to give it up.

If I quit gym, I'll have more money and more time to socialize with people my own age.
If I don't quit gym I'll still be doing the sport I love but at a cost to my wallet, social life and possibly my academic life. Though not very much I should hope :)

I wouldn't have a huge problem with doing an Adult Rec class instead and I've even gone a couple times just for fun, but that's the problem: it's very low key and definitely just for fun. There's only two coaches for about 40 people which means that if I need spot for new skills and they're not available for most of the evening I'll either have to chuck it or become very comfortable with falling :p

So, have any of you been in the same situation or have any thoughts on the matter?

We have a gymnast who was in a similar situation. She was a level 7 and graduated high school. She went on to college but coaches and subs when she can. Shw has also worked at other gyms closer to her college. This way she earns money for training. Whenever she wants, or when her schedule allows, she comes and trains with team. We are a small gym, so maybe this is why it is possible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back