Quitting gymnastics? + Pushy mum and coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

shelbyshoe

So I currently do level 8 gymnastics - acrobatics, trampolining & tumbling. I train about 11-12 hours per week and i'm going to be in year 11 next year. This year, balancing school with training and friends was really hard. Sometimes i just want to quit because my mum is one of those pushy parents and she expects a lot from me and puts a lot of pressure on me (academically & gymnastics), and so does our coach. I can't handle it and i get so frustrated easily nowadays, i get angry/upset easily when i can't do a new skill and i don't think i love it as much as i used to. I hate saying that i can't go out with my friends because i'm tired or i have gymnastics, i feel like i miss out on so much even though i have best friends at gym. trials are also 2 months away and i don't know if i want to even bother competing and we're on holidays at the moment so we also have extra practice sessions. Please help?! I don't know what to do!

You need to talk to your mom and tell her just what you said here. Be calm when you talk to her and try to remain cool. I know if my DD was feeling like this I would want to know it and hope she would feel comfortable enought to come to me to discuss it.

I can relate totally, very similar situation only I train a lower level but similar hours (i train 10hrs per week at level 6) but I have just finished year 11 and going into year 12. I think you need to maybe remind your mum that this is your sport and not hers. In terms of balancing school, its not as hard as it might seem, year 11 isn't as scary as it seems to start with. HSC is scary and i am scared beyond belief right now but i promise that year 11 is fun, and the work is not as much as you might think, so choose subjects you enjoy, not because they scale well. I promise, enjoyment is key to life! Have fun in your senior years and in regards to you gymnastics, do what your heart tells you and do what you think is right, could you cut your hours a bit? would that be an option or is that not a possibility? but you need to tell your mum that you feel the pressure and ask her to back off a little bit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back