Quitting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Salto

Gymnast
Hello,
I am writing this post in question of wether to quit. I am a 13 year old level 5 (also there is no way I could or want to be elite or collage) For the past 6 months I have been dreading going to practice. But in the past month I never ever want to go to practice, I have been getting constant mental blocks and I just feel miserable. The season starts in a few weeks but I don't have my skills (mental blocks) so I can't compete anyways. In the winter, my gym is moving all the level fives up to level 7.

A few reasons why I want to stop:
I am practicing 18 hours a week, all of which I hate.
My coaches think I am join to the olympics or something.
My coaches are mean and don't understand my mental blocks.
When I move up to level 7, I would have to train 25 hours a week, which is way to much.
The optional coach that trains the level 7's is crazy! Like absolutely crazy!!!!!
I have been falling behind in school work and not being angle to do my homework.
I have way to much stress from school and gym combined.

Reasons why I am heasitant to quit:
What is I miss it and want to come back (my coaches won't let me)
I will miss my gym friends.
I won't find any sport I like as much as gym.
I regret my decision in 20 years.
I become fat, lazy and, loose all my strength and flexibility.

HELP! I want to quit and my mom is fine with it but I don't know if I should. I wan't to right know but I don't know. Also my coaches won't let my take a 'break"

Thanks for your time and help!

Have a meeting with your coaches and mom and tell them what your goals are and your what you hope to accomplish and see if they can help you accomplish those. If nothing gets resolved I would think about switching gyms and see if a different atmosphere with lower hours would help or switch out of the JO program and try Excel.
I would say don't quit though until say work through a mental block or get a new skill and if you truly don't care maybe it is time to move on.
Honestly though it sounds like you need some more supportive coaches to work with you through the tough time.

Regret the decision in 20 years? I think you will regret it in months. I made the mistake of quitting and joining tumbling instead of gymnastics and then joining again and being behind. Its actually all up to you so my opinion doesn't matter here but I'd just like to say think about it more. You could ask to take a session off or rest for a week or two. But I know four girls that quit and regret it now all at your age that recently quit.

In the end, it is your decision. If you think you will regret it in the future, don't quit!!! Just talk to your coach and gell them how you feel and maybe they will have a better understanding of whats going on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back