WAG Quitting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastem

Gymnast
I've decided that it's time to quit and move on from gymnastics. I just don't love it anymore. I know I want to quit and I'd be miserable if I had to keep going. The thing is, I'm not exactly sure how to tell my parents I want to quit. I know that they like me doing gym and that's what makes it so hard to tell them. Does anyone have any advice?

I'm sure that a big part of the reason they like it that you do gym is that they think you are passionate about it. Tell them how you are feeling about it! Most parents don't want their kids to be miserable, and would put their happiness over any investment they personally have in their children's achievements.

I agree with profmom. Be honest with them. They may ask you questions, so just be honest and upfront. My DD first expressed interest in quitting a year ago. After talking with her and one of the coaches, we all agreed that she would compete one final year. Mainly because we/she didn't want to quit because of the fear issues she was dealing with. HOWEVER, had she been firm in her decision (she wasn't sure what she wanted for sure), I would have supported her decision unconditionally.

After this last season, she decided that she was done and we supported her and helped her through the decision and informing her gym. It was hard, but 3 months later she is very happy and adjusting well.

One thing to maybe think about is how are you going to fill your time and keep in shape. You will have a lot of extra time on your hands and you'll probably want to find something else (or lots of things) to fill it. You will also want a plan to stay active. It won't take long to start losing some of your muscle and conditioning if you don't stay active.

Good luck with your decision. Just know there is life after gymnastics!

Is there something else you want to do instead like dancing, diving or athletics? They will probably have a couple of questions for you like why do you want to stop and what are you going to do instead? I want to quit because I want to spend more time at the mall with my friends and at home on the couch in front of the tv is probably not going to get the response you are looking for. If you can tell them why you want to stop and have a plan of what you would like to pursue instead it will probably go down a lot better.

A few questions, how long have you been doing gym, how old are you, what level, and is there a specific skill, event, gymnast, or coach that makes you 'miserable?' I don't usually like it when girls just up and quit. We always try and set some goals first, and then after achieving them, it makes a cleaner break. Maybe after State, you reach a certain level, you earn a certain score, you get a specific skill, etc. Whatever you decide, good luck as I know how difficult it can be. Especially for the parents! ;)

My DD told me she wanted to quit this spring. I really was very upset because, let's face it, we have a lot invested in the sport too, and a lot of our social life ends up revolving around the gym. However, my daughter's happiness and well-being is my #1 priority. I tried VERY hard not to let her see how upset I was. In the end, we met with the coaches and she decided to stick it out for another year, but I was prepared to support her in whatever decision she made (and truth be told, by the time she made the decision, the little calculator in my head was adding up all the money we would save if she quit).

A few things based on my experience...

My daughter sent me a very well thought-out email outlining the reasons why she wanted to quit. That was a great idea! However, then be prepared to TALK to your parents about it. They will want to know how long you've been feeling this way, what you plan to do instead, etc. This is because they want to know if you are making a hasty decision that you are likely to regret. Gymnastics is HARD to get back into once you quit. Getting my daughter to talk about quitting was like pulling teeth. I understand that it is a difficult topic of conversation but parents really want to know what the thought process is behind your decision and that it's not something that occurred to you for the first time yesterday.

Also, you will likely need to talk to your coaches. They will probably try to talk you out of quitting, so if it's something you feel strongly about, go in there ready to stick to your guns.

Ultimately, I will be sad when my DD quits, but if she were to come to me when she's an adult and say, "I really only did gymnastics because you wanted me to. I was miserable all through high school." I would be devastated. Your parents love you enough to support you through this crazy (and crazy-expensive) sport. They love you enough to support you in quitting it too.

And if you can't find the words, sit down and write your parents a letter. Sometimes putting your fears and frustrations and reasoning on paper will help to make it all make sense.
That's what I do when I can tell my parents/ coach something because normally I'll break down and cry

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back