WAG Quitting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Idk:(

Gymnast
I just received the news that I will be doing another season of level eight and I want to quit. I have all the skills I need for level 9 except my double back off of bars and the only reason I don’t have that is because my coaches won’t let me work it. I really don’t want to do another season of eight and I have no motivation continue gymnastics. I don’t want to put all this work in just to compete old skills. I am also scared of quitting though because that means leaving all of my friends and just leaving the only thing I’ve ever known. Both my teammates moved up and all of my gym friends are are levels 9 and 10 but I am still scared to leave. There is anyone gym I could go to that might put me on 9 but I am scared to leave the only thing I’ve ever know. This gym is not part of usag and that scares me too. My dream is to do college gymnastics and I feel as if that’s over because I am 15 and in 8. I really don’t want to quit I just want to do 9 but I also don’t want to move gyms.

i want to wish you good luck with your decision. You can still read here, but CB rules are that you have to be 16 to post, for your safety and ours. Come back very shortly and share with us how it is going!!!

I'm replying even though you can't post here, hoping you'll read it. I hope you take some time to digest the news that you are staying a level 8 for another year. I think right now you are disappointed and frustrated that you are staying at a level while some of your teammates are moving up. I think that you will find that you are going to have an amazing season where you are successful at meets and polishing the skills you need for the next level. And your friends will still be at gym with you and you can cheer each other on at your meets!

Retiring from gymnastics is always an option available to you. And if you decide to retire you will find new activities and friendships that will make your life fulfilling and wonderful. Gymnastics isn't the end all be all. There will be so much waiting for you on the other side of it.

But for a little bit, I think you should walk back into gym with an open mind and let the coaches guide you through this season. I bet you will find you still love it and have plenty of room for growth and fun this year!

I would also see if you and your parents together can meet with the coaches and get a clear understanding as to why you are repeating this level and what you can do to achieve your short term and long term goals. If their plans for you will not help you meet your goals I would consider all your options even moving gyms. We have had several girls from our gym go to other near by gyms and thrived and made new friends. They went from nearly quitting the sport to getting new skills and rediscovering their love of the sport. Gymnastics is very personal and you have to be at the right place to meet your full potential. Change can be scary but I bet if you end up needing to change gyms you will be able to not only stay friends with the girls that mean so much to you now but also make new friends at a new gym. I mean if a girl came into your group wouldnt you befriend her? What ever you decide change isnt the enemy look for the good in the new!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back