WAG Re-learning a new way

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymCMLA

Proud Parent
If you learned a skill / started working it "the wrong way", will it always be with you "wrong". Even after months (or years of the "right way")

Specifically asking about Giants.

I don't know but something to think about

The expression............ Practice makes perfect.

My violin teacher always said only perfect practice makes perfect.

My daughters coach..... Says her coach always said practice makes permanent.

Ideally, it is better to learn it correctly then get it mostly right quickly.

Yes, totally agree with Practice makes Permanent. My dd switched gyms after many years at her previous gym. Many years of doing skills a set way. Of coarse when you switch gyms, new gyms/coaches want skills done their way. Not at all saying that that is bad, but it is a process........one of breaking down and then rebuilding, and the longer you've been doing it 1 way, the longer it takes to "relearn" it another way. I also think the more advanced you are skill wise, the longer it takes. If your kid only knows RO-BHS, it is easier (less time consuming) to relearn than it is say a RO-Whip-Doubleback (probably to do with less to learn and presumably less years doing it).
It has been 6 months and she is still catching herself doing things the "old way".......it's always the things that she learned at the beginner levels......ROs. Sounds silly, but RO is the key to both floor and vault. Changing it effects the entire vault for her and the power she gets on floor for her passes. The process of breaking down and rebuilding is a frustrating one......have to hang in until the new way becomes the only way ;)

This is a gym change situation, so not that DD is purposefully practicing something wrong, but a year of drills for giants the wrong way before moving. DD said HC said that it will never go away, ever. I was just saddened but that never. I didn't comment to DD, but it has been on my mind all day

If you learned a skill / started working it "the wrong way", will it always be with you "wrong". Even after months (or years of the "right way")

Nope! My daughter switched gyms two years after she had learned her giants. She was a Level 9. It took a few months for her current coach to get rid of the bad habits but my understanding is her giants are now technically correct. Then her form just kept improving from then on. She's a second year Level 10.

I don't agree that practice makes permanent. DD taught herself lots of things before I put her in gymnastics that we later learned were damn ugly. All were fixed. Though not until after she got a good coach who knew what she was doing.

This is a gym change situation, so not that DD is purposefully practicing something wrong, but a year of drills for giants the wrong way before moving. DD said HC said that it will never go away, ever. I was just saddened but that never. I didn't comment to DD, but it has been on my mind all day

What exactly is never going to go away? My daughter was throwing her head back, was not tapping, leading with her feet and very archy to name a few. Strength conditioning improved the arch and leading with the feet, a foam block held under her chin got rid of throwing her head back and coach taught her to tap. She did not learn all that overnight. But she got it now.

We are in a similar spot. It's only been 3 months, but I can see big improvement already. Beam BWO is the most striking. I agree that it's probably tougher to fix higher level skills, but I think with a lot of hard work and being truly open to accepting correction, that anything can be fixed. Never say never! :) Good luck and keep us posted!

But harder to fix if new coach feels "it will never go away". All parties involved need to be on the same page (otherwise it seems like that attitude would impact the coaching of the athlete if coach feels fixing something is a lost cause).

We're all ok with time and patience.
I've been thinking about it and I wonder if hc meant it will always need to be on her mind to focus on the "right way" as lack of active thought will allow the old to creep in...
There is some language barrier, so maybe that plays a role in how it was communicated. Did doesn't seem bothered; reported that she tipped two tonight and nothing negative was said. (Tipped=not making it over on a giant or tipping over a cast hs). She just grew a little over an inch in the last couple weeks, last 2 growth spurts in the last 8 mo all made cast hs a bit wonky and clear hips "feel funny" (like despite trying to drop, they weren't really dropping) ...,

DD said HC said that it will never go away, ever.

Is it possible that there was a second half of the sentence? Like, "you'll never fix it if you don't <insert idea>".

And I don't agree with the sentiment, either. My DD always flexed her feet on tap swings. Or kips? I don't remember, but when she goes back and forth in her routine (could be her glide). After ages, she was finally doing them yesterday with her coach watching closely and shouting urgent corrections, and she did a couple of routines without flexing her feet. Is it close to a permanent fix? Nope. But proof that corrections can happen after a couple of years.

No

Depends on the kid. But most can be fixed with a lot of time.

bull

I know of a girl that changed gyms and the new gym picked up twisting direction problems that meant that without fixing, she'd never get some of her connections (I think that was the story - I'm a bit vague on the details!). Over a few months she relearned these skills and now all is fine. Her mum was horrified that this had gone through at the old gym without anyone noticing. She was extremely pleased that it was picked up by the new gym!

It took time and effort to fix, but fixed it was. Never say never.

This just makes me think of all those crappy beam BHS that I see at practice.....then when I ask DD to show me a really good one, then she does a good one........this upsets me.

I really depends on the coach.......our bars coach is a STICKLER for form and technicals......I guess beam coach is more laid back......I bet you can guess who the girls love more........

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back