Reaction to Strapping Tape? Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnast03

Gymnast
I'm a level 7 gymnast and I have been doing gymnastics for 10 years. I have some problems with my back where the muscles are extremely tight which causes my vertebrae to 'hinge'. It is currently being manged quite well with physio and taping. The way I have to tape is using 'Kinesiology' tape which a type of fabric strapping tape that is stretchy. I put two pieces on my back either side of my spine, it seems to help with the pain. But my only problem is that my back reacts to the tape, if i wear it for longer than a day or wear it to often the skin where the tape is will get red, inflamed and itchy. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what to do?
Thanks any help will be appreciated :)

You can use under wraps which are just pieces of fabric to put under your tape so it doesn't effect your skin. A lot of my teammates use them.

there are tape types that are anti-allergic. you have to test several ones to find one using glue types you are not reacting to. do not use the ones causing allergic reactions, they tend to get worse over time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back