WAG Ready for level 10?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD has just turned 13 and did 1 year of level 9. Her coaches want to put her in level 10 for this coming competition season which for us starts in late February. I personally don't think she is ready. Here are the skills that she has or almost has!

Beam: bhs layout series, aerial, side salto, almost from aerial, round off layout dismount

Floor: double full, double back in rod floor into mat in the pit, front layout front full combo

Vault: Tsuk pike and yurchenko

Bars: toe hecht release, half turn giants, almost has front giants and blinds on her own, free hip handstand, toe on handstand, pak.

Is it possible to get what she is missing by February for level 10?

Thanks!

My DD has just turned 13 and has done 1 tear of level 9. Her coaches want her to compete in level 10 this competition season which for us begins early March.

I personally don't feel that she is ready.

Here are the skills she has or almost has:

Beam: BHSBLO series, aerial, side salto, almost front aerial, bhs blo dismount.

Floor: double full, double back tuck on rod floor onto hard mat in in pit, front HS to front full.

Vault: pike tsuk and yurchenko

Bars: giant half turns, pak, toe hecht release, almost front giants, free hip to HS, toe on to HS.

Is it possible to get the missing skills by February for competition season?

If her coaches think it’s fine, why do you disagree? I’d assume they know more about gymnastics than you do, so unless there’s some non-gymnastics reason that has you worried… why not go with their opinion?

Ultimately what happens if she’s “not ready”? She places poorly for the year and gets some experience as a L10. That doesn’t seem too bad to me.

She will not score well with those skills as it looks like she will be missing some requirements but March is a long way away and yes, she could realistically upgrade some of those skills.

Do you have a say in the decision? If you do, I would suggest you have a meeting with the coach to hear their reasoning. And also consider what your daughter wants to do. Some coaches prefer to move the gymnasts up for the exposure/experience during a year when it doesn't matter much- L10 meets can be very stressful. Having said that, given the age, I would think a second yr of L9, where she could possibly go to E/Westerns would be a better plan. Bottom line though, If you trust the coaches, then that's all that matters.

If her coaches think it’s fine, why do you disagree? I’d assume they know more about gymnastics than you do, so unless there’s some non-gymnastics reason that has you worried… why not go with their opinion?

Ultimately what happens if she’s “not ready”? She places poorly for the year and gets some experience as a L10. That doesn’t seem too bad to me.
Thanks for the response. I simply feel like if she doesn't have the skills she should repeat another year of level 9 but the coach appears to disagree. I guess there is something I am missing here..

It may have something to do with exposure. I don't entirely get it. I simply feel that if she doesn't have the skills needed yet there is no harm in repeating level 9 but the coaches appear to disagree. My DD likes to be challenged and feels ok about moving up but I worry that she doesn't completely know what she is up against.

I don’t think anyone but her coach can tell you what she can and cannot do. I also don’t think a coach will put any gymnast in a position where the can’t succeed. Trust the coach

My daughter just stated optionals so I'm no expert but from what I've read, many L10s do not have all their skills and have lower start values. They expect to be at L10 for years. Some coaches will keep at L9 for confidence and others will push to L10 for experience. The coach and you know her personality and if she will be motivated by being on top at L9 or being challenged at L10.

My daughter just stated optionals so I'm no expert but from what I've read, many L10s do not have all their skills and have lower start values. They expect to be at L10 for years. Some coaches will keep at L9 for confidence and others will push to L10 for experience. The coach and you know her personality and if she will be motivated by being on top at L9 or being challenged at L10.
Thanks for the comments. Yes definitely more motivated by being challenged than by being on top.

Sounds like she wont have 10.0 sv on any events by the season start. She can be a high scoring L9 or challenged L10. What does your DD want?

Sounds like she wont have 10.0 sv on any events by the season start. She can be a high scoring L9 or challenged L10. What does your DD want?

Yes exactly she won't have a 10 SV on any event, except maybe beam from what the coach is telling us. But yes she thrives in the challenge more than the high scores typically, although high scores never don't hurt :)

My daughter was in a similar position last year. She was on track for level 10 (maybe not 10.0 on every event, but still fairly competitive skill wise), but then got injured before the season started. She was 13 and had competed one pretty good level 9 season (made it to Easterns). They gave her the option of repeating 9 or moving to 10 just to compete what she had and get the exposure. For her, repeating 9 meant she would not get to compete her jaeger and she really wanted to, so she chose 10. She didn't compete floor all season (she might not have even if she repeated since she was coming back from an ankle injury and in PT and was having a hard time with landings.). She also competed a 9.5 vault because vault is not easy for her plus her ankle injury. But bars and beam she was happy with. I won't say it was an amazing season or anything, but she has no regrets. She was happy to challenge herself and I think that it will help her this coming season with her confidence.

Two of the same thread was running in different forums... I merged them both into this one.

My kid, though older than yours, was in the same situation with a similar skill set (more in some areas, less in others but mostly the same). Mine stayed L9. Then covid happened and she graduated. And like that her JO career was over. It wasn’t all bad because she was on a D3 team for 2 years. Looking back she wishes she had done L10. Me too.

My point - you never know what the future holds. If she’s been offered L10, take it. Especially if you trust her coaches. There’s a wide variety in L10 and if she doesn’t have 10.0 SVs just yet, she will have plenty of company.

If her competition season doesn't start until Feb/March, She should be able to add some new skills. But how does she feel about it? If she wants to do L10, and the coach thinks that she can/wants her to, go for it.

If her competition season doesn't start until Feb/March, She should be able to add some new skills. But how does she feel about it? If she wants to do L10, and the coach thinks that she can/wants her to, go for it.
Yeah, that is what she is hoping, that she can get her blind front giants and double back on floor by then. She wants to try to do L10. I guess its me that is worried more so than her.

My daughter is doing level 9 this year. Her beam is similar to your daughter but I think her dismount is a full. Her vault is a yurchenko layout. She’s been working yurchenko fulls too… but won’t compete them. Floor she does ro bh 1.5 front pike and front layout front full. And her bars skills seem the exact same as your daughters. Her paks aren’t super consistent though…
Her coach is thinking this will be her first year of 9 and probably will do upgraded level 9 routines next year… so the transition to 10 is easier. My daughter is 12. I would agree that level 9 sounds more in her skill set. Her floor sounds good for 10 though! Either way she’ll be ok just may not score as high in 10.

My daughter is doing level 9 this year. Her beam is similar to your daughter but I think her dismount is a full. Her vault is a yurchenko layout. She’s been working yurchenko fulls too… but won’t compete them. Floor she does ro bh 1.5 front pike and front layout front full. And her bars skills seem the exact same as your daughters. Her paks aren’t super consistent though…
Her coach is thinking this will be her first year of 9 and probably will do upgraded level 9 routines next year… so the transition to 10 is easier. My daughter is 12. I would agree that level 9 sounds more in her skill set. Her floor sounds good for 10 though! Either way she’ll be ok just may not score as high in 10.
Your daughter sounds amazing. Yes. Exactly why I thought my DD should compete 9 again. The coach seems to think she will have her yurchenko layout on vault and full dismount on beam by February and believes she should try 10, so I guess I have to go along with it

I don’t have anything amazing to add other then to say trust her coaches and to share my DD current similar position. She is 13 and will be repeating 9, mostly because the changes that were made this year that allow lvl 9 to compete harder skills. She has hand lay lay on beam and ro 1.5 dismount on beam. She can do a side Ariel as well but won’t likely complete it. Floor..front hand front double full, back hand double full and front rudi but again not sure she will be allowed to compete all those exact skills due to only being about to do so many of certain level skills (I do not know the ins and outs here) . Bars, bail to handstand into toe hand and then dismount will be double back, she has more but basically in the routine but basically will compete that, she is working pike jeagers but does not have them! Also learning full out dismount, she has blind fulls and such as well, vault yerchenko lay but it’s not great ..works fulls into pit. Basically a second year at 9 to really get 10 skills to 10 start value is her plan. Again it has a lot to do with whatever change was made..maybe someone can better explain that. Also, sorry if I butchered names or spelling of skills just a mom!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back