WAG Ready to compete tsuk in 6 months??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would like to start working on another vault rather than my FH.

I am definitely a powerful gymnast. My FH on vault is pretty good I would say.
I want to compete it next October, so about 6 months. Of course, I will decide it with my coach and we will try different drills. However, I was searching this forum for some tsuk and yuri thread and found one thread that said:

"With a little luck, a kid with a good L7 handspring and no other vault specific training will be able to reasonable compete a Tsuk the following season. The Yurchencko may look ready for next season, but that's about as far as I'd let it go, so if they want to move from L7 to L8 and take a Yuchencko with them they need to start progressions when they move up to L7."

So basically, it is not too unrealistic to compete a tsuk in October?

So what my coach told me and what also seems logically, the Yurchenko can generate far more power than the Tsuk if done right, which might be an advantage when it comes to twisting. But if your are powerful, a Tsuk is not that hard.

As I am pretty good at blocking, I think I would go for the Tsuk. Is it unrealistic to be ready to compete in October if I start training now? Is it true that the Yurchenko needs A LOT more timers?

I am thankful for every opinion, no matter if it is from a coach, a parent or a gymnast!

I've taught myself a Tsuk in the last three weeks! It will obviously need a lot of cleaning up, but I've actually found it mentally and physically easier to grasp than the handspring ever was. I plan to upgrade it as soon as a coach says it's ready to do so, and I intend to compete the upgrade in a few months' time.

Of course, there were a few factors in my favour: I already had a front handspring when I started, I'm very much a forwards-and-sideways person as opposed to backwards, I'm quite powerful, I had the vault area and all of the mats and blocks to myself several sessions in a row so I could just repeat and repeat until my body caught up with my brain knowing how to do it... but I think just the initial Tsuk with nothing fancy out of it isn't any harder than a handspring - it's even valued the same in the FIG Code of Points! :p

I've taught myself a Tsuk in the last three weeks! It will obviously need a lot of cleaning up, but I've actually found it mentally and physically easier to grasp than the handspring ever was. I plan to upgrade it as soon as a coach says it's ready to do so, and I intend to compete the upgrade in a few months' time.

Of course, there were a few factors in my favour: I already had a front handspring when I started, I'm very much a forwards-and-sideways person as opposed to backwards, I'm quite powerful, I had the vault area and all of the mats and blocks to myself several sessions in a row so I could just repeat and repeat until my body caught up with my brain knowing how to do it... but I think just the initial Tsuk with nothing fancy out of it isn't any harder than a handspring - it's even valued the same in the FIG Code of Points! :p

WOW, that is amazing!

You mean a "real" tsuk with a tucked salto at the end?

No salto - I thought we were equating it to the handspring? Because it's still a real Tsuk without, it's called that in the Code :p

No salto - I thought we were equating it to the handspring? Because it's still a real Tsuk without, it's called that in the Code :p

Ah yes sorry, so I meant the tucked or pike tsukahara you usually do at L8 in USAG.

grrrrr...I was so happy thinking it it possible in such a short time haha

No information here, but I have a question - is the tsuk part just that instead of hitting the vault table directly, you are turning? Kind of like doing a round off?
(My daughter is L4/5, so, not important right now, I'm just trying to learn for my own curiosity.)
Thanks!

No information here, but I have a question - is the tsuk part just that instead of hitting the vault table directly, you are turning? Kind of like doing a round off?
(My daughter is L4/5, so, not important right now, I'm just trying to learn for my own curiosity.)
Thanks!

Yep!

There are 3 entries you can do:

Front Handspring (can progress to Front Handspring Front Tuck, etc)
Tsukahara, kind of a crooked round off (can progress to Tsukahara with salto tucked, piked, layout and twists)
Yurchenko - round off land on spring board, back handspring on the table, block off (also progress to tuck, pike, layout and twists)

Thanks!

Front Handspring:

Tusk:

Yuri:

Reactions: COz
Thank you so much!!!
Ah, "entry". That's my learned term for the day. The helps my brain grasp it. I always thought the names tsuk and yurchenko meant "the whole vault". Now I get it.

Thank you!

It is possible to do just a plain landing out of a tsuk? or is there too much power to do that, and you're kind of forced to salto?

Thank you so much!!!
Ah, "entry". That's my learned term for the day. The helps my brain grasp it. I always thought the names tsuk and yurchenko meant "the whole vault". Now I get it.

Thank you!

Your are welcome!

Yeah, those are the "entries". But as a Yurchenko or Tsukahara Layout is a very advanced skill (not wanting to speak about twisting them!) and only done in L9 or higher, on Chalkbucket most people usually only use the term tsukahara or yurchenko and mean the "whole vault", so the entry with one back tuck at the end. Those are the two vaults the kids usually begin working at L5 as they compete one of it at L8!

It is possible to do just a plain landing out of a tsuk? or is there too much power to do that, and you're kind of forced to salto?
It's possible and I've seen it done often, and it's in the Code of Points as a vault on its own, but I'm finding I have too much power for that and that's why I want to upgrade so quickly before I do myself an injury! ;)

Thank you so much!!!

Thank you!

Sorry, didn't see that question!

You mean just the round - off without the salto? Yes, that is totally possible and not hard at all. It is a progression for the tuck! You can also do this with the yurchenko. Just Round Off Back Handspring on the table and land on the other side :)

Sorry, didn't see that question!

You mean just the round - off without the salto? Yes, that is totally possible and not hard at all. It is a progression for the tuck! You can also do this with the yurchenko. Just Round Off Back Handspring on the table and land on the other side :)

But it is not used in competitions because a good "timer" (means just the entry and land on the other side) must not land on the feet but rather the back so there is space for the salto

If an athlete has no experience in other vaults than the FH;

HOW LONG WOULD IT APPROX. TAKE HIM/HER TO BE READY TO COMPETE A TSUK OR A YURI?

It really depends on the gymnast. Have you been doing drills? What kind of training equipment do you have? In general, a yuri will take longer (our coaches have told some girls to think 2 years to get it, but many have gotten it quicker). We've had gymnasts get tsuks in a couple months or less (usually starting with a tuck), but the tsuk is a power vault so not always as easy for some smaller gymnasts. Plus, our gymnasts spend a lot of the training time flipping into the pit or onto soft mats, so landings may take longer than getting the basic vault off of the table.

We have some really amazing L8 gymnasts that have a real mind block on these vaults, so are doing a HS in L8 while training a front-front for L9. Don't think in terms of timeline -- think about the training progression. Our gym had a pretty detailed training process on the vaults.

The boys generally learn them quite quickly - in my experience. DS went from a simple FHS vault straight to a tsuk and a FHS-FT in about 3 months. They only do one level of FHS, then a yami, then tsuk or straight to FHS-FT. (Yurichenkos seem to be done later if at all for boys) . My assessment of all this is its power that makes them get these faster (and our upper level boys are all 12+ so younger ones might take longer - they seem to really struggle with a good Yami at l7 in general.).

Our girls start drills for both Tsuks and Yurichenkos before they even leave L6. We still have L8s struggling with a flipping vault (but that is partially due to absorbing an entire other gym with different training methods). My DD is tiny and did very little up training as a L7 but got to the point of flipping both her Yuri and her Tsuk (full vault with entry, etc) into the pit off large blocks (we only have one vault table without a pit so they really spend lots of time on the "vault trainer" before - then perfect it on the table before season) in a couple of months. It can be done but appropriate progression is important to get the all important landing (esp with girls - I've seen a lot of boys doing insanely hard vaults with horrible landings and still score high - WAG not so forgiving!)

The thing with the Yurchenko is that you want to do a ton of roundoffs onto the board and really be straight and consistent before you start doing it with the table. Some gyms start drilling this early and others don't.

For my son, he spent about 7 months on Yurchenko drills and still just does timers. With a Tsuk, he started flipping onto a mat in the pit in a couple weeks. So the Tsuk was much faster. He still wants to do the Yurchenko, but is planning on it for next season. So he will have trained it for over a year before it's ready.

Yurchenkos seem to score higher than Tsuks though.

Just don't forget to warm up with fhs every day, to keep you honest with your speed. Tsuk in 6 months, easy if you are good at them. :)

I would like to start working on another vault rather than my FH.

I am definitely a powerful gymnast. My FH on vault is pretty good I would say.
I want to compete it next October, so about 6 months. Of course, I will decide it with my coach and we will try different drills. However, I was searching this forum for some tsuk and yuri thread and found one thread that said:

"With a little luck, a kid with a good L7 handspring and no other vault specific training will be able to reasonable compete a Tsuk the following season. The Yurchencko may look ready for next season, but that's about as far as I'd let it go, so if they want to move from L7 to L8 and take a Yuchencko with them they need to start progressions when they move up to L7."

So basically, it is not too unrealistic to compete a tsuk in October?

So what my coach told me and what also seems logically, the Yurchenko can generate far more power than the Tsuk if done right, which might be an advantage when it comes to twisting. But if your are powerful, a Tsuk is not that hard.

As I am pretty good at blocking, I think I would go for the Tsuk. Is it unrealistic to be ready to compete in October if I start training now? Is it true that the Yurchenko needs A LOT more timers?

I am thankful for every opinion, no matter if it is from a coach, a parent or a gymnast!

a tsuk is easier to learn and takes less time. no way to predict the answer to your question though. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back