WAG Really good hair bands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Katie123

Coach
Gymnast
When ever I'm training my hair ALWAYS falls out! It's so annoying, I will do one tumble and it will fall out! That's how easily it falls out
Any moms/dads/gymnasts know of any really good hair bands that will keep my hair in even a. Little bit longer during practice?
Thanks

We use the goody ouch less hair bands and pony tail holders, but it sounds to me like maybe it's time to put it on tighter or add in hairspray. I use 2 different hairsprays on my little gymmie. She has super fine long blond hair, so keeping it back is a real challenge. I use garnier fructose anti humidity hairspray and suave mega hold hair spray.

First I brush her hair and give it a light spray all over to make it stick together a little better, then I pull it up into a ponytail and spray it all over the head again. I use my fingers and pat the spray into her hair. Then I do whatever style we're going for to keep her hair from flipping into her face or blocking sight lines. And spray with both sprays all over again. The end result is hair that doesn't move a single strand in between the start of practice and the end of practice. If she sleeps on it, it is still in the style with no hairs out of place in the morning.

do you wash your hair daily and condition ? "Dirty hair" holds better than just washed. I just buy bands from Asda

I just wear 3 hair ties plus a scrunchie. The scrunchie seems to help. And I add three clips to pull back the loose strands. This way I don't have to spray every day with hairspray since it is bad for your hair.

I agree with all of the above.
  • Where possible, don't have clean hair (easier for the little ones than teenagers who actually care). Soft clean fresh hair is slippery. Slightly sticky, oily hair with chalk through it is really easy to do and it stays put.
  • Use product. Spray gel is useful. Hairspray, gel, whatever. Combing it through is best, before putting it up. If you really want it to stay, comb product through wet hair. A bit more once you've finished for the flyaways. If you do it right, you can sleep in it and it's good to go the following day :) well, maybe not for ponytails, but buns work.
  • Use the big flat hair elastics. Even if you have soft wispy hair, use the big flat thick ones. Don't use the thin round ones, ones that are designed not to get caught in your hair or ones that are kind of fluffy and knitted.
  • Use more than one hairband if you need to. Put them in as tight as you can. This is easier with the wider hairbands, they stretch better and last longer.
  • Even if your hair is fairly short and in a ponytail, try looping it and putting a scrunchie around it as well.
If you have really thick hair there are a couple of threads floating around about thick long hair for meets. Multiple plaits etc.
There are threads about buns here too.

Oooh. I haven't seen them before. Do they last well or do they become stretched? I find the little thin silicone ones stretched and I didn't get much reuse out of them, but those ones are huge!

My daughter's hair falls out too. The only thing that works is to use hair gel to hold the front and then put a scrunchie around the ponytail holder and then braid the ponytail.

Oooh. I haven't seen them before. Do they last well or do they become stretched? I find the little thin silicone ones stretched and I didn't get much reuse out of them, but those ones are huge!
Are you asking me this? If so, they last for a pretty long time, but every once in a while if you try to twist it arount too many time when it is new, it will snap. They do get a little streched out, but just enough so that you can twist it around a bunch of times.

Reactions: COz
The silicon ones do have good grip and don't slip but, a word of warning, that makes them tug when you take them out. After a tough session when dd's hair has fluffed out a bit and is full of chalk, when you try and slide them, even one loop at a time, out she screams. It must stretch the hairs too. I've stopped using them.

I bought those for dd in the gym also (she comes home looking like she went through a tornado). They hold well but hurt like the dickens to take out! We just opted to use two regular hair bands, one skinny one and a thicker one. That seems to help

The key to this is to use more than one band, I have found. I did this when I was a gymnast and I do it now with my daughter's hair which, being long and thick and very curly, does pose some problems.

Whenever possible, I buy big, poofy 80's style bands made of very springy fabric, almost like towelling. It seems I am not the only person here who got stuck in the 80's. I can't find a picture (ok, I've not really looked) but the type I'm talking about could almost double as sweatbands if they needed to.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back