Reassurance on training level 9 bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
My daughter's coach has already told me my daughter will definitely go to Level 9 next season. She still has not started training L9 because she is still preparing for regionals in three weeks. I've wanted my daughter to switch gyms years ago but because of the limited gym choices and other responsibilities with my other children we've stuck it out. Our gym is notoriously weak in bars. Now that my daughter will be a Level 9, I don't know how my she will learn the release moves? She has done o.k. In the previous levels scoring in the mid to lower 9s. But I think that will now come to an end. Her coaches don't spot because I think they can't spot. I don't think they are strong enough to spot the gymnasts in bars. They can spot the little 7 and 8 year olds. My daughter is 10 and she is certainly not big, but they seem to struggle spotting her. They spot/push from the floor.

Here's another bit of information, one of our HC/gym owner has a daughter in L10. I just found out they have been sending her to another gym for private lessons! What are your thoughts on that? Am I putting more into that than there is? My other question is can a gymnast learn higher level bar routines well without ever being spotted or having the more up to date equipment? We have no bar pit. We also don't have the bar that you can put on a tumble track. It broke two years ago and they've never replaced it. Other than the standard uneven bar and strap bar, we have nothing else. Is my daughter doomed in bars?

Maybe not doomed, but if the L10 is the coach's daughter and getting privates from another gym, perhaps not a great sign. But your gym has had L10s...quite a few...I guess there have been coaching changes from your other recent posts though?

Attending a good camp could give her exposure to strong bar coaches. Of course if the coaches aren't attending to learn that is of limited use, but it might help her with some things. I am PMing you the name of a camp you could try, it should not be too far.

Maybe not doomed, but if the L10 is the coach's daughter and getting privates from another gym, perhaps not a great sign. But your gym has had L10s...quite a few...I guess there have been coaching changes from your other recent posts though?

Attending a good camp could give her exposure to strong bar coaches. Of course if the coaches aren't attending to learn that is of limited use, but it might help her with some things. I am PMing you the name of a camp you could try, it should not be too far.

I support the gym camp idea when and if the camper is going to return from camp to a gym that can support any new skills by trouble shooting where and when needed. I also have a reservation if the gym being returned to has inadequate experience to recognize the unique risks of any freshly learned skills. Lastly....When I started gymnastics in high school I ended up with a biology teacher who had played football in college, and was hoping to land a coaching position with the school football team. He ended up taking the gymnastics position as a consolation prize, and had no more gymnastics knowlege that a level two gymnast, if that. I went to 2 one week camps the summer prior to my senior year and came home with the beginnings of some new skills, but couldn't get any help to finish learning them. Kind of like getting to look at a picture of a cookie, but not even a crumb to put in my mouth. It was very frustrating........:mad:.

I would sit down with the hc and discuss plans for bars. Maybe they are thinking the same type of arrangement for your dd. Would be odd but they may feel its more cost effective than buying the equipment for just a couple girls - particularly if they are more a lower level gym. Whether you decide to change really depends on how comfortable your dd us there and what you see in her future. She is really young... That's a long time to be in a gym in the upper levels without the coaching/equipment...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I support the gym camp idea when and if the camper is going to return from camp to a gym that can support any new skills by trouble shooting where and when needed. I also have a reservation if the gym being returned to has inadequate experience to recognize the unique risks of any freshly learned skills.

Well, I would agree in some ways. I PMed the OP to protect her daughter's privacy. But I am familiar with the gym in question and while I understand the concerns outlined in the original post, I do not think it is a matter of the gym being unable to recognize the safety risks involved in high level skills.

Maybe the private lessons are not related to the quality of the coaching available. I speak from experience when I say that it is extremely challenging coaching your own kid - maybe they need exposure to coaching that is not from a parent. Also, I don't think you have to spot constantly to be a good coach if you do the right drills and progressions. Now having said that, if you don't have confidence in the coaches, you don't have the best equipment and you don't have a good history of bars success, I might say to consider other options. Personally, I would be disappointed with the bars training if your are finishing up Level 8 and haven't started training the level 9 bars. Level 8 to 9 is a big jump on bars. Good luck!

4theloveofsports;[B[B said:
]Here's another bit of information, one of our HC/gym owner has a daughter in L10. I just found out they have been sending her to another gym for private lessons! What are your thoughts on that? [/B]Am I putting more into that than there is? [/B]My other question is can a gymnast learn higher level bar routines well without ever being spotted or having the more up to date equipment? We have no bar pit. We also don't have the bar that you can put on a tumble track. It broke two years ago and they've never replaced it. Other than the standard uneven bar and strap bar, we have nothing else. Is my daughter doomed in bars?

My thoughts on this are HUGE RED FLAG!!! If you are already questioning the coaching and the equipment, this would seal the deal for me...

I say this with all the respect in the world and I certainly don't know the details of the situation, but I have to agree with bookworm. I see this as a pretty big issue. Your dd is a 10 year old level nine. That is a huge accomplishment and means she must have some serious potential. If it were me, I would think it is definitely time to find her a gym that can support her at this level. No pit alone would have me looking elsewhere. No spotting and the fact they are sending their own kid elsewhere for privates is a pretty clear message, at least from the outside looking in. Good luck!

Very important -- I am NOT a coach and I don't know all that much about this sport other than what I have read and what I have seen. What I am saying here comes from watching upper level girls training in our gym and watching some L9-L10 competitions where girls were competing routines that they had no business doing. I hope that Dunno and some of the other coaches will chime in with more informed opinions.

My daughter's coach has already told me my daughter will definitely go to Level 9 next season. She still has not started training L9 because she is still preparing for regionals in three weeks.

Has not started training L9 but already slated to compete it next year? Red flag.

Our gym is notoriously weak in bars. Now that my daughter will be a Level 9, I don't know how my she will learn the release moves? She has done o.k. In the previous levels scoring in the mid to lower 9s. But I think that will now come to an end. Her coaches don't spot because I think they can't spot. I don't think they are strong enough to spot the gymnasts in bars.

No one who can spot her or system in place for keeping her safe while she's learning release moves that she's never attempted? Red flag.

Here's another bit of information, one of our HC/gym owner has a daughter in L10. I just found out they have been sending her to another gym for private lessons! What are your thoughts on that?

Yellow flag.

Am I putting more into that than there is? My other question is can a gymnast learn higher level bar routines well without ever being spotted or having the more up to date equipment? We have no bar pit. We also don't have the bar that you can put on a tumble track. It broke two years ago and they've never replaced it. Other than the standard uneven bar and strap bar, we have nothing else. Is my daughter doomed in bars?

I don't think she's doomed in bars. I think she's courting a life-altering injury.

Well, I would agree in some ways. I PMed the OP to protect her daughter's privacy. But I am familiar with the gym in question and while I understand the concerns outlined in the original post, I do not think it is a matter of the gym being unable to recognize the safety risks involved in high level skills.

That's a relief....thanks for doing that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back