- Dec 22, 2014
So you're changing course, it will be fine. And if it's not, you change course again.
This is good advice, and how I looked at our recent gym move (about 3 weeks ago). I made the decision I thought was best with the information available to me at the time -- but remembered that I could always make another/different decision later if necessary.
Regarding notice to the old gym -- I agree that it is best to give notice after you've made your decision and right before you are leaving. However, I actually felt it was important to tell DD's coaches in person so I requested a brief meeting. I was very complimentary and grateful for everything they had done for my DD, but explained that DD wanted to move from Xcel to JO (which wasn't gonna happen at old gym). They understood and wished her well. I followed up with a similar email thanking the HC/Owner, who actually came out of the gym on DD's last day to say good-bye (even though she never was DD's coach). I left feeling like DD could return to old gym in the future if we wanted.
Regarding getting comfortable with new gym -- My DD was adamant that she did not want to leave old gym (and had lots of 7-year old reasons why she should stay), but underneath it all I think she also understood the need to go. After some back and forth, she asked if she could do a trial period at new gym. I asked, and they said yes. The trial week allowed her to get more comfortable with the new gym and become friendly with some of the girls -- and afterwards she was ready to make the move. Not sure if it's an option in your case, but I really think a trial at the new gym could be helpful??
In any event, best of luck to your DD.