Parents Reassure me about gym switching!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So you're changing course, it will be fine. And if it's not, you change course again.

This is good advice, and how I looked at our recent gym move (about 3 weeks ago). I made the decision I thought was best with the information available to me at the time -- but remembered that I could always make another/different decision later if necessary.

Regarding notice to the old gym -- I agree that it is best to give notice after you've made your decision and right before you are leaving. However, I actually felt it was important to tell DD's coaches in person so I requested a brief meeting. I was very complimentary and grateful for everything they had done for my DD, but explained that DD wanted to move from Xcel to JO (which wasn't gonna happen at old gym). They understood and wished her well. I followed up with a similar email thanking the HC/Owner, who actually came out of the gym on DD's last day to say good-bye (even though she never was DD's coach). I left feeling like DD could return to old gym in the future if we wanted.

Regarding getting comfortable with new gym -- My DD was adamant that she did not want to leave old gym (and had lots of 7-year old reasons why she should stay), but underneath it all I think she also understood the need to go. After some back and forth, she asked if she could do a trial period at new gym. I asked, and they said yes. The trial week allowed her to get more comfortable with the new gym and become friendly with some of the girls -- and afterwards she was ready to make the move. Not sure if it's an option in your case, but I really think a trial at the new gym could be helpful??

In any event, best of luck to your DD.

Curious, what were the reasons you left that gym?

They had a lot of standing around time. 7 or 8 kids, one working something the others just chatting and goofing off. Daughter goes to team, in June we were told the hours, which were all during the week (we have another committment on Sat). Told me she had to train days in the summer or she couldn't be guaranteed a spot on team. It was a hardship and cost extra money as I was working full time and she needed camp as well so I had to pay for camp yet she was only going part time and gym. And then come Sept they changed hours and added Saturdays because they needed more time with the girls. Sorry its Level 3, doesn't "need" 4 days a week (JMO, I know that blasphemy for many around here). And they certainly wouldn't need it if you used your time better (that thought I kept to myself). Bottom line was their rec business was their priority so they were unwilling to add the hours during the week.

I was told I wouldn't be able to find a gym without Saturdays that it is just the way it is.
That didn't sit well with me. So off I went.

Found a gym where Saturdays not required though strongly recommended after level 3. Kids have no wasted time while at practice.

My daughter is training less hours than the old gym wanted and she is a much better gymnast then she would of been at the old gym. Very happy I switched and she is too now. The stress of the change is a faint distant memory for her. And it was hard, she had been with one coach from her Mommy and Me days when she was barely 2.

I do what is best for my kid and our family. I found the gym that suits our needs. If our needs or the gyms requirements change. I will make another move. For the moment it works.

It's a pity your club doesn't have the wherewithal to keep an able assistant on staff while elite coach is away. I'm sure that would not only solve your problem but the problems of the other families and quite possibly the club itself.

Good luck.

You'd think, wouldn't you?

I am worried she's so stubborn she will quit. Not like I can force her to go until she gets used to it. I do feel we are at the point now though where she almost may as well quit rather than stay, it is costing us too much money and too much stress.

Thanks for everyone's comments. It does help!

Ugh! If she is this strong willed with it all, I would, as a parent, say a compromise needs to be made. I would say she needs to try the new gym for a month (not a week, a week does nothing to make a teenager feel better about themselves and where they are)....and then re-evaluate. If she then wants to quit, so be it. But I really, truly wouldn't let her stay there. From the little I know from your posts, she sounds amazingly talented, and not only is it a waste of talent, it is a potential for potential injury, because she is not getting the coaching she needs, and therefore there is risk involved.
My "british pound," fwiw.....;)

It is tough, having recently been through it the sleepless nights and agonising are still very fresh.

My experience my dd had been at the same gym since the age of 6. A couple of years ago I became increasingly unhappy with the gym, mainly lack of coaches, ridiculous pressure before comps, High training hours but often no coaches available so girls were left to their own devices.

I asked dd to consider trying out at another gym, she refused the gym was all she knew and she adored her teammates. I was unhappy but she was now a teenager this was her sport and so I voiced my concerns to both coach and club and was assured changes would occur.
Two years down the line dd lost all her skills and confidence across all pieces and she realised that change was the only option.
We found a new club, a few months down the line she has her 'mojo' back and is loving the new club, and the trust and confidence are back, progressions are happening really fast. All very happy.

BUT....I should have trusted my instincts and made the move two years ago.

My only tale of caution is that I know someone who made the same decision you are making, relocated the whole family jobs etc only for the main coach at the new gym to leave. Several agonising months before anot her suitable gym could be found. And that is the issue in the UK very few high performing gyms.

Wishing you every luck, trust your instincts

My experience my dd had been at the same gym since the age of 6. A couple of years ago I became increasingly unhappy with the gym, mainly lack of coaches, ridiculous pressure before comps, High training hours but often no coaches available so girls were left to their own devices.

Two years down the line dd lost all her skills and confidence across all pieces and she realised that change was the only option.

This is where we are, pretty much, and where I can see us being 2 years down the line.

Everyone I speak to is telling me to go now, as two years down the line is too late.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back