WAG Rebuilding after illness

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Banana seeds - that's princess and the pea territory!

I can only hope that my daughter never decides to become a vegetarian. The only source of protein that she would be able to have would be nuts, pretty much (unless she was happy to include eggs - though maybe it's vegan that excludes them). :eek: I made a comment along these lines once to a coach at gym. She is a vegetarian, and she said "there are other sources of protein other than meat and dairy, you know." Yes, but most of those she can't eat...

Lots of black beans, but as they are legumes I imagine they are on your no go list. Vegetarianism is not for everyone, especially people with food issues.

hopefully you can find a way to build her up that she enjoys.

Lots of black beans, but as they are legumes I imagine they are on your no go list. Vegetarianism is not for everyone, especially people with food issues.

hopefully you can find a way to build her up that she enjoys.

Exactly. Completely no go. And that's why I hope she never wants to become one for ethical reasons or something like that.

Yes, hopefully I will be able to get on top of it. Thanks for the encouragement. Every few months I seem to post on here about food - always some new aspect of keeping the daughter well fed...

Hi Coachmolly, That's really interesting! I guess I'd have to see if I could get a starter culture that was not cow, sheep or goat's milk based (none of them are ok for her). But that might be worth looking into, thanks.

I'm impressed you have figured out that she can eat anything. You know its tricky when you almost stump the dietician. We've dealt with some tricky diet stuff for my mom the past few years. She is on a low phosphorous and potassium diet while on dialysis. That's a tricky one too but you dd's sound worse and mom is not an athlete. Good luck, I hope you find some new yummy recipes.

Believe me txgymfan, I know far more about food allergies and intolerances that I ever expected to!

I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with awkward and confusing diets, AND in conjunction with illness. It can be hard, and sometimes all you need is for someone to understand how hard it is!

The day we (the doctor and I) decided to put her on the low FODMAPs diet, I wandered around feeling completely lost, wondering what I was ever going to fed her. I am learning all the time, and gathering suggestions, and the dietitian was a great help. I'm not saying it is easy, but it CAN be done. And it is worth it because she is so much better than she used to be - non-stop stomach aches that went on for months are now down to about 1 per week.

Thanks for the encouragement.:)

I invested in some http://www.kefir.net/kefir grains last year, to make ginger beer (long story) and buttermilk for scones and fried chicken. Its top stuff and can be used with non dairy too.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I was going to suggest pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, but it sounds like you may already be giving her seeds in her muesli.

Quinoa?? High in protein! My daughter loves it. Just remember to rinse it before cooking.

jago

Quinoa is a good idea. I just made it for breakfast the other day cooking it with milk (though you could use a non-dairy milk or water) and adding fresh strawberries. It made it a little more "breakfast-y." Protein packed and only natural sugars. What about flax? You could make coconut butter (just coconut pureed in a blender/food processor)- Homemade Coconut Butter recipe to put on toast or add to smoothies. I feel like it might mix better with some fruits than peanut butter would. You could also add some coconut oil to smoothies or mix into other foods (or use for baking).

Yes, we do lots of seeds in our muesli. :)

And we also eat quinoa! :) Quinoa has this reputation for being packed with protein, but I compared it with the nutritional information on our packet of basmati rice, and the protein component actually about the same. The difference with quinoa is that it is a *complete* protein, unlike other plant based proteins.

I have no idea about flax. I'd have to see if it is on the "allowed list" of low FODMAPs foods.

I did think yesterday about adding coconut cream/milk to smoothies. My husband thought it might be a bit odd, but as with most things, I said "it's worth a try!"

Thanks Jago and Coachmolly. I really appreciate your suggestions. :)

I looked into kefir some time back, and there was some reason why I thought it wouldn't work for us. I can't remember what it was. It was possibly because at the time we were off yeast (and kefir is a fermented product), though now we've recently been trying it again. Experiments so far have gone ok. (I have risen GF bread dough currently waiting for me in the fridge, ready for baking later on in the day. The experiment continues...) But I also think that I remember reading that it was a lactic acid product. We don't go well with lactic acid, whether it is from dairy sources or not.

I've always wondered about lactic acid. I know that it is problematic for my daughter when digested, but it is also something that she gets within her body as part of the exercise process. I've always wondered how the muscular lactic acid affects her, as I know the digestible form is not helpful! Anyway, I don't think I'll be getting any answers on that one here! :)

Anyway, perhaps I should look at kefir again. I'd also have to find out whether it is low in FODMAPs, somehow!

Thanks 'margo!

Volcano rice is great isn't it? High in protein, iron, fiber and magnesium. Tastes great! My 7 yr old loves it too. With a touch of olive oil. 4 yr old is allergic to rice tthough.

jago

Volcano rice?! That is a term with which I am not familiar!

Allergic to rice - sorry to hear that. I hope your four year old doesn't have gluten problems too, or that would be severely limiting. :eek:

Basmati rice is the only rice we use in our household (oh, apart from arborio for risottos, and a short grain one for sushi). Although brown rice has high nutritional content, it is a lot harder to digest, making it harder for the body to extract all the good stuff. Basmati, on the other hand, tastes great, has good stuff in it, and is low GI for those to whom that is important.

Have you looked to other cultures for food ideas? Last year, my sister in law came and she wanted protein shake( shes vegetarian). She didnt want whey protein, I think we ended up getting a high quality protein mix from GNC made from brown rice. You might could order from their website if you cannot get anything there. They have a lot of protein mix choices also...good luck..wish your dd all the best:eek::)

Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Hi Motigymnasticsmom, I'm not sure how Australian cuisine compares to American cuisine, but we have a very cosmopolitan food culture here. Typically we eat Italian, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Mexican, Japanese, as well as regular stuff, though I am not entirely sure what would fit into "regular stuff" as a category! I like to try where possible to get dietary nutrients from "real" food rather than resorting to things like shakes. I feel it seems more natural, and it is cheaper!

As an update, today's during-training smoothie, and her pre-training chocolate milk had coconut milk added. Increased fat content. :) They got the thumbs up for flavour.

I have a huge glut of eggs atm ( own chickens and ducks) and am desperately trying to use them up - got at least 130 in the larder !

Today I made 5 sponge cakes, brownies, ginger cake, quiche and little baked custards. I know when Pink and Fluffy comes out of gym the first thing she says is "What have you got me?"

Can she eat any of these - I have some great recipes.

'margo

I want to come to your house :)

My daughter is very similar to yours from weight challenges to milk allergy. The only way to get her to gain weight is pasta pasta and more pasta.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back