Parents Rec girls class and handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Madden3

Proud Parent
So my daughter (5 almost 6) recently made the switch from the "littles" classes to the regular rec gym. She is loving it.
But I am noticing something and I am wondering if it is odd. It seems as if they barely work hand stands on the floor. The do work hand stands on beam some, as part of the beam rotation, but if they do them on floor it is just part of one rotation, and some classes they never do them (I think- honestly it is not like I watch every moment of class.) Basically my impression is that I am seeing much less emphasis on hand stands than I did with my sons.
My recollection is that when my sons were in rec they did hand-stands for days... it was a major thing.
Is there a reason it would be different in girls rec? Thanks.

As far as I have noticed, I think our gym's rec classes are the same. Different for team and preteam of course, and even the 'more advanced' rec (kind of pre-pre team).
I remember thinking it seemed like the regular rec actually had less emphasis on 'basics' than the kiddie rec.

I would be concerned, this sounds like our old gym. They focused their beginner's rec class on things you would need for pre team and skipped things completely like a backward roll.

Ok thanks for the replies. This is a very well established gym with good teams of "homegrown" gymnasts, so I do not get it. I guess I will have to ask about this.
One thing I do recall is that when my sons were in rec, the classes were an hour and a half long. Not sure if that was just for the boys or what. But these classes my dd is taking now are only an hour.

They focused their beginner's rec class on things you would need for pre team and skipped things completely like a backward roll.
So, do you mean they skipped basics, or were too basic?

So, do you mean they skipped basics, or were too basic?[/QUOTE]

Skipped basics, they did somethings in the preschool class that totally disappeared in beginners. When we switched gyms there were several things we had to go back to basics on.

Skipped basics, they did somethings in the preschool class that totally disappeared in beginners. When we switched gyms there were several things we had to go back to basics on.

Ok thanks. They seem to do other basics. Backward rolls, cartwheels on floor- other things I do not know what it is called. Clearly doing basics on beam and bars- it is just hand stands that seem to have almost no time spent on them, when I would have expected more time spent in them.

Now I have a question about cartwheels. My dd tends to go into her cartwheel sideways (or really, kind of half turned.) This is incorrect, right? My sons do their cartwheels starting from (what I would perhaps erroneously call) a totally forward facing lunge position. Yesterday my dd tried out a "tumbling" class, (all floor and tramp) and for a whole rotation she did cartwheel after cartwheel from a half turned stance and was never corrected, so now I am confused.

Also, just generally, are the boys and girls "correct" form for either hand stands or cartwheels different?

I think there is a lunge/power cartwheel and a side cartwheel.

https://m.wikihow.com/Do-a-Cartwheel

Now I have a question about cartwheels. My dd tends to go into her cartwheel sideways (or really, kind of half turned.) This is incorrect, right? My sons do their cartwheels starting from (what I would perhaps erroneously call) a totally forward facing lunge position. Yesterday my dd tried out a "tumbling" class, (all floor and tramp) and for a whole rotation she did cartwheel after cartwheel from a half turned stance and was never corrected, so now I am confused.

Also, just generally, are the boys and girls "correct" form for either hand stands or cartwheels different?

Our coach HATES side cartwheels! He will make our girls correct it if he see's it. We are taught facing forward and should end in a lunge facing back towards the direction they started, so have to make a 180 degree turn to start the next one.

For various reasons, lately she has been having classes at different times then usual, plus she has been trying out a tumbling class as well as going to regular rec. So I have seen a few coaches in action. Some definitely are better with form corrections, but the issue of very little time spent on hand stands is there with all of them.

I did get more clarity today when I talked to one coach (a good one dd had in the past but who is no longer coaching that level.) They told me they are supposed to teach hand stands on floor every class, but it is part of one of the rotations and that section of that rotation is both hand stands and cartwheels. So, officially not a lot of time. Today at least I did see her do some hand stands with correct lunge form, but she was still doing that half turned out cartwheel and not being corrected. She just forgets and needs the immediate correction. The coach I talked to today said I was right about the cartwheel form and suggested I ask the coaches to correct her form more. I guess maybe they tend to go easy on the kids because it is beginning rec (?) but my dd has been taking classes for almost three years, is excited about learning and is consequently happy to have corrections from the coach.

What I suspect (I have not actually timed it yet, trying to not go too far to the crazy:rolleyes:) is that more time overall is spent each on the bars and the beam than on the floor/vault rotation. I am not saying floor is ignored so much as not prioritized, and the class is just under an hour so it is not a lot of time. Floor always comes last, so tends to be the shorter rotation if the others went longer. I do not know why that is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back