MAG Recalibration of MAG levels for next season?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

3gymnastmom

Proud Parent
My son just came home from practice and described what appears to be a recalibration of MAG levels for the 2021-2022 season. In summary, all levels 7 and below are moving down 1 number...so instead of L4, 5, 6 & 7, it’ll be L3, 4, 5 & 6. A level 4 routine now will be the L3 routine next season; level 5 routine now will be a L4 routine next season and so on. Level 7 is where all JD1 and JD2 will go and L7 will be considered an optional. And levels 8, 9 & 10 are unchanged. Has anyone else heard this? And why? I’m sure there’s some master plan with USAG but I can’t find anything via google. Thanks all in advance for your insight and input. Have a great weekend and good luck to all of your gymnasts moving on to regionals. -H

We heard the same thing from my son's gym a couple of months ago, but I haven't heard any details beyond what you posted. Another reason why I have no idea what level my son will compete next season.

Yes. That is happening. They are aligning ages with FIG and changing some things. All of the information will be out to coaches in May, although most already know what is coming.

MAG does a change of things every quad, so all of this was supposed to start this year, but was put off a year by the covid cancellations.

What will they do with the JD age requirements, if they are now all going to be Level 7? There are many boys who compete JD now but fall outside the Level 7 age groups. JD gives boys up to 18 a level to compete at. My preference would be that all optional levels have a junior and senior cohort, so that boys can compete at the level they are, and not worry about aging out of their level.

The downshift is similar to what they did to the girls back in 2013 to make room for another optional level.

I don't understand the age requirements at all for boys. My son started late and his coach said something to him about needing to compete l7 next season (he will be 12 by the time they compete). I highly doubt he'll be ready to compete 7, and think maybe he misunderstood his coach. Is there some age related reason why he'd need to do 7 by age 12?

What will they do with the JD age requirements, if they are now all going to be Level 7? There are many boys who compete JD now but fall outside the Level 7 age groups. JD gives boys up to 18 a level to compete at. My preference would be that all optional levels have a junior and senior cohort, so that boys can compete at the level they are, and not worry about aging out of their level.
I have no other info besides what my 12 yrs old son shared (and what I include in my post). I was hoping that someone with more info like a coach or judge would provide more insight. In the 7 yrs we’ve been involved in MAG they have changed age requirements so many times...and a level change like this is even more confusing. I hope someone with knowledge chimes in soon.

Same thing happened to my son, when the birth date switched (May bday) Late starter did well in 4, 5, 6, but then his coach told him he was too old for 7 and not good enough for 8. We switched gyms, he did 2 years of JD1. Our new gym didn’t even compete 7&8 when switched, you just went to JD after 6, so you could get on pommels and do optionals. Last year he did 9 (out of level as a 14 year old, because he has to compete as 15). This year we didn’t do competition, but from what I understand, he will remain as a 15 year old and do 10.

Same thing happened to my son, when the birth date switched (May bday) Late starter did well in 4, 5, 6, but then his coach told him he was too old for 7 and not good enough for 8. We switched gyms, he did 2 years of JD1. Our new gym didn’t even compete 7&8 when switched, you just went to JD after 6, so you could get on pommels and do optionals. Last year he did 9 (out of level as a 14 year old, because he has to compete as 15). This year we didn’t do competition, but from what I understand, he will remain as a 16 (which will be his actual age) and do 10.

It will be confusing for a while but then it all shakes out.

All of this is speculation until the official documents come out in May:

From what I have heard, your age will be whatever you are turning during 2022. That will line us up with FIG which has been the goal for a while. They are looking at it like birth years, if that helps. So, if you were born in 2005, you will compete as a 17 yo next season, or as a 2005, depending on how they decide to word it. I think birth years work way better.

They have changed the ages for some of the levels to help with this. L10 will be 16-19, L9 will start at 14, L8 at 12. L7 will be an optional level. I have heard rumors that there may not be an upper age limit on any of the optional levels, but not 100% on that.

Again, I am not "in-the-know" or anything, but these are the things I have heard discussed. We are done with the junior program in a very few short weeks, so I don't pay a ton of attention to the new stuff :)

Ok, so is this actually a thing that boys need to be at level 7 before age 12? I'm so confused by this. My son said his coach told their group that he wants them to compete 7 next season, but after watching videos of 7 meets I really can't imagine he'll be ready for that.

I would say not to panic right now :) When things come out, and kids start summer training, I am sure it will make more sense. L7 will be different next year than L7 this year. L7 next year will be optional, and from what I hear, the 3 compulsary levels are moving down a number. So this years L7 will be L6 next year, etc. But again, this is just what I have seen and heard :)

Ok, so is this actually a thing that boys need to be at level 7 before age 12? I'm so confused by this. My son said his coach told their group that he wants them to compete 7 next season, but after watching videos of 7 meets I really can't imagine he'll be ready for that.
And no, they do not need to be L7 before age 12. In fact, they can skip it when ready.

I would say not to panic right now :) When things come out, and kids start summer training, I am sure it will make more sense. L7 will be different next year than L7 this year. L7 next year will be optional, and from what I hear, the 3 compulsary levels are moving down a number. So this years L7 will be L6 next year, etc. But again, this is just what I have seen and heard :)
Ok, thanks! I asked him yesterday morning if his coach had said anything else about levels for next year and he told me the coach expects his group to do 7. At first I thought that sounded amazing, then I watched a couple of videos from prior meets and freaked out. For context, he started gymnastics "late" and did 41 at 9, doing very well and finishing 3rd aa at States. Then they had him repeat 4, which upset me at the time. He did very well repeating and looked to be 1st, maybe 2nd for States, and then everything shut down due to Covid. This year his gym chose not to compete and to only uptrain, which was great! We were informed several months ago that he'd skipped 5 and was training 6- fun! But, now to be going from competing 4 last year to possibly competing 7 next year seems insane.

I'll just wait and see. He has very good, experienced coaches who are generally on the more conservative side when it comes to levels, so I trust they do know what they are doing.

Ok, thanks! I asked him yesterday morning if his coach had said anything else about levels for next year and he told me the coach expects his group to do 7. At first I thought that sounded amazing, then I watched a couple of videos from prior meets and freaked out. For context, he started gymnastics "late" and did 41 at 9, doing very well and finishing 3rd aa at States. Then they had him repeat 4, which upset me at the time. He did very well repeating and looked to be 1st, maybe 2nd for States, and then everything shut down due to Covid. This year his gym chose not to compete and to only uptrain, which was great! We were informed several months ago that he'd skipped 5 and was training 6- fun! But, now to be going from competing 4 last year to possibly competing 7 next year seems insane.

I'll just wait and see. He has very good, experienced coaches who are generally on the more conservative side when it comes to levels, so I trust they do know what they are doing.

It is so hard to wait it out though! I know :) I like to plan, and understand what is going on, so I totally get it. But it sounds like they are doing a great job of making sure the kids are getting good training, and will do well at the level they are competing. I can't wait to hear more about how he is doing with all of his new skills!

It is so hard to wait it out though! I know :) I like to plan, and understand what is going on, so I totally get it. But it sounds like they are doing a great job of making sure the kids are getting good training, and will do well at the level they are competing. I can't wait to hear more about how he is doing with all of his new skills!
Yeah, I just need to chill out about it. DS doesn't seem to care what level he does next year as long as it's not 4 again! :D

Yeah, I just need to chill out about it. DS doesn't seem to care what level he does next year as long as it's not 4 again! :D

Definitely easier said than done :) We have been through 3 code changes, and I have to admit, happy to not have to really deal with this one :)

I’m curious if the age groups will remain the same or if they will also change due to the new levels. So if my son goes to actual level 6, but it is basically the level 7 routine, will the age groups coincide with the current level 6 or current level 7? Make sense?
96627B7F-73D1-4672-8F9A-592AFDD8271A.png

Not sure if the groupings will change, but the age ranges are changing (the age determination date).

That is something we will just have to wait on :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back