MAG Recalibration of MAG levels for next season?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Giants aren’t so bad. My son had to learn them in less than 2 weeks. It took a little longer for reverse giants, but with a strap bar they will get it pretty quick, especially if the coach is thinking Future Stars.
He picks up skills quickly typically. He learned to do a kip in 2-3 weeks. A muscle up in a few hours of having rings setup at home. But his problem is mental blocks. He had a big one for months on a bhs and still can’t do a flyaway by himself due to a mental block. He is going to Flip Fest this summer and I am encouraging him to really try to get his giants there so it is one less thing to worry about moving forward.

But that would really be "moving up" as this year's L7 routines would probably be the L6 routines next year
If L7 routine becomes L6, that really may be a game changer. A lot of boys skip L7 because of its difficulty right? And I’ve heard the judging is pretty tough too. If a lot of boys typically skip it and either go straight to L8 or JD, I wonder what influence that may have when it becomes a normal level. Will the boys really struggle at that level? Will we see scores literally all over the place?

If L7 routine becomes L6, that really may be a game changer. A lot of boys skip L7 because of its difficulty right? And I’ve heard the judging is pretty tough too. If a lot of boys typically skip it and either go straight to L8 or JD, I wonder what influence that may have when it becomes a normal level. Will the boys really struggle at that level? Will we see scores literally all over the place?
Again, no one knows until we see what the levels and routines look like.

He picks up skills quickly typically. He learned to do a kip in 2-3 weeks. A muscle up in a few hours of having rings setup at home. But his problem is mental blocks. He had a big one for months on a bhs and still can’t do a flyaway by himself due to a mental block. He is going to Flip Fest this summer and I am encouraging him to really try to get his giants there so it is one less thing to worry about moving forward.
I'm not a MAG person, but I just wanted to advise and I am sure many on this forum will agree. If your child is prone to mental blocks you need to be careful about your actions and words to prevent any extra pressure/stress. Sounds like he probably puts enough pressure on himself without a well-meaning comment drawing more attention to any issues - this could easily make the mental blocks worse.
I personally wouldn't be saying anything about getting giants at Flip fest, mentioning it means that it's important to you (even said in the nicest way without that intention) and important things can be stressful and cause more fear for kids.

I'm not a MAG person, but I just wanted to advise and I am sure many on this forum will agree. If your child is prone to mental blocks you need to be careful about your actions and words to prevent any extra pressure/stress. Sounds like he probably puts enough pressure on himself without a well-meaning comment drawing more attention to any issues - this could easily make the mental blocks worse.
I personally wouldn't be saying anything about getting giants at Flip fest, mentioning it means that it's important to you (even said in the nicest way without that intention) and important things can be stressful and cause more fear for kids.
Fair enough. My thought process behind it was a different style of coaching may help. A different approach. I hate to see him frustrated and struggle, as we all do. I do not want to come across as pushy. I have heard that the boys go into camp with a skill or two in mind they would like to get or work on. This is tricky as the only skills that he hesitates on or could really work on are the ones in which he has developed or likely to develop mental blocks. I guess he could go and work on skills he already has. I definitely don’t want to add pressure or stress. Was just trying to think outside the box.

Our coach is not a big fan of camps, he thinks of it as a week of summer training away from him!

But my son has gone to one particular camp for a couple of years (our main state university camp) and he's really enjoyed it, and made a lot of friends that he then sees throughout the competition season. As much as he's enjoyed the camp, he's not really learned new skills or improved on anything he's doing. It's more of a vacation for him and chance to make friends with kids who do high level gymnastics. Meeting those kids has been invaluable to him, the gymnastics part is secondary! (But that might be just him, his personality isn't such that he's really putting himself out there to do big skills without his coach).

From what I have heard, your age will be whatever you are turning during 2022. That will line us up with FIG which has been the goal for a while. They are looking at it like birth years, if that helps. So, if you were born in 2005, you will compete as a 17 yo next season, or as a 2005, depending on how they decide to word it. I think birth years work way better.
So excited for this... not... Son was born on Dec. 31st.

We went through this on the last rotation. Son born in late May, so gymnastics wise, he was competing against kids almost 2 years older. He was a late bloomer, so he looked like a little boy amongst men.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back