WAG Recommend a stretching program?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
DD has expressed an interest in increasing her flexibility this summer. I'm going to be honest and say I don't know how much she will keep this new "resolution" but since flexibility is definitely her weakness, I'm going to try to support it as much as I can.

She has asked one of her coaches who has mentioned to me a couple of times that "she needs to get around to making a program" for DD but it's been months since she's been trying to get it done and I'm starting to think it will be more efficient to seek another source. Not criticizing as I know that she is super busy.

I think DD would more open to a DVD/video type program but I'd like to check out several different sources to try to pick one that I think she would be most likely to enjoy. Obviously I'm looking for something specifically geared toward gymnasts.

Her back flexibility is fine. But hip flexors, legs, and achilles especially are tight. She has had all three splits on and off but I have no idea which are on and which are off right now. She also can't hit a 180 on a split leap, only on a switch. That's the kind of stuff that her coach has mentioned as being problematic in past conversations.

So please recommend away.

Is working with a professional like a physical therapist an option? Obviously you'd have to find the right one, and it would be more expensive, but I also think it's potentially more worth it to get an evaluation by a professional, and then to work with them.

Yoga! Tapes, classes. All ages can do it. Its great for opening up hips, increasing flexibility, and requires strength to hold poses ( harder than it would seem for some). Start with a beginner program or find a DVD set that has a range of beginner to advance. I think yoga and Pilate's are great for gymnasts.
Not to mention, parents can join in, could be a thing to do together!

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gb-courses/stretch-series/ has a new stretching program. It's pricey but less than paying for physio or privates.
I think DD would more open to a DVD/video type program but I'd like to check out several different sources to try to pick one that I think she would be most likely to enjoy. Obviously I'm looking for something specifically geared toward gymnasts.

Her back flexibility is fine. But hip flexors, legs, and achilles especially are tight. She has had all three splits on and off but I have no idea which are on and which are off right now. She also can't hit a 180 on a split leap, only on a switch. That's the kind of stuff that her coach has mentioned as being problematic in past conversations.

So please recommend away.
edited for spelling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back