Coaches Recovering a lost skill (Trampoline)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think I'm going to go insane. Our regional meet is less than 2 weeks out, and I have a level 6 kid who can score mid 8s on tramp who has suddenly lost the ability to do a back pike or back tuck. We had been doing drills to try and get rid of a few bad habits; for instance, he likes to jump forward and lean back off his feet to set the backwards rotation. Now he's convinced that he's not going to rotate and paralyzed with fear (never mind that he always makes it). We've been hand spotting him to get him through lots of reps of back tucks, but the fear seems to be getting worse, not better. I've never seen anything like this. Any suggestions?

GT

I think I'm going to go insane. Our regional meet is less than 2 weeks out, and I have a level 6 kid who can score mid 8s on tramp who has suddenly lost the ability to do a back pike or back tuck. We had been doing drills to try and get rid of a few bad habits; for instance, he likes to jump forward and lean back off his feet to set the backwards rotation. Now he's convinced that he's not going to rotate and paralyzed with fear (never mind that he always makes it). We've been hand spotting him to get him through lots of reps of back tucks, but the fear seems to be getting worse, not better. I've never seen anything like this. Any suggestions?

GT

wait for it...VESTIBULAR. and what you have described above in bold is called 'crowhopping'. they have to be broken of this bad habit. it will exacerbate a vestibular problem.

understand it's not about tucking or piking. it's about going backwards. very unfortunate this close to a competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Glad to hear this problem has a name. We have 10 level 6 kids. 9 responded to treatment, and are taking off without the crowhop. Number 10 melted down. He liked to stomp the bed as well... not only did he crow-hop, but he did so with authority. I think I must have taken away everything he thought was getting him around. Right now, if we offer to hand spot him through it, he won't even engage and start bouncing. I've never seen a kids so scared to do something he competed three weeks earlier (when he qualified at states).

i understand. there is nothing you can do from a coaching standpoint. just hope that his vestibular system re-adapts in time for the meet. it can leave in an instant just as it arrived. good luck to you and the athlete.:)

I did not observe this, but the kid apparently has had a growth spurt recently, so things may be feeling odd for that reason.

GT

...He liked to stomp the bed as well... not only did he crow-hop, but he did so with authority....

This part made me laugh IRL.

Also I had no idea it was called "Crowhopping" though I understand why....

I always referred to it as the "cheaterbounce" which my kids always would laugh at....I might start calling it crowhopping... though my kids would be confused (they probably aren't sure what a crow is, nevertheless how they hop)

Dunno's post which explains the "vestibular" problem can be found here - I showed it to the parent of a student whose child mysteriously lost the ability to do a ro-bhs (after having ro+7 bhs) and was incredibly flustered. Said parent is no longer flustered.

First post on this page.

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/question-answer/31302-back-tumbling-fear-issues-help-please-3.html

And the essay, five posts down on this page

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/question-answer/31302-back-tumbling-fear-issues-help-please-2.html

Good luck on your athlete getting his pike/tuck back!

Day, M., Thatcher, J., Greenlees, I., & Woods, B. (2006). The causes and psychological responses to lost move syndrome in national level trampolinists. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 18(2), 151-166.

I don't think he has this problem however this article is an interesting read.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back