Parents Recovering from injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Texasmomof3

Proud Parent
My dd has had stress fractures in both of her shins since December. (It started with shin splints last summer that she just ran through.). She actually competed level 7 this spring with the injuries, before it had been properly diagnosed. She has been on complete leg rest since mid-March.

it has been a nightmare. She spent months in physical pain, but I think the rest period was worse. I was a complete leg-rest Nazi. We allowed her to still go to practice every day, but only bars without landings and conditioning. She watched her teammates get new skills, start flipping vaults, perfect new skills that she wasn't even allowed to try.

She was miserable. Her coaches did as I instructed, but I heard plenty of comments from other kids and parents about how other girls came back from lesser injuries faster. But she put all of that energy into extra conditioning -- pike rope climbs wearing 10 pounds of ankle weights, pull up with ankle weights, pike dips with ankle weights, every ab exercise you can imagine. Her arms and abs are now the best in the gym.

She came back to full practice last week with medical clearance. She is pain free for the first time in years. And she already has all of her old skills back and several new ones. She is happy again at practice, after so many months of pain and bad practices followed by so many months of restrictions.

I am so glad we held to our guns and enforced the rest and recovery. I see girls in arm casts flipping on beam, girls in ankle braces tumbling with more and more tape every day and it just makes no sense to me. Why not let their bodies heal a bit? I get it that you sometimes do what it takes to get through state, regionals, etc. But in the off season? Let them heal.

So consider this a celebration that she is back and also a plea to let them heal.

I love this, I'm so glad your daughter is feeling great and healed well. I think with gymnastics in particular it can be SO tough to take time to rest and heal, it's good to remind ourselves that these are children with growing, fragile bodies. My own daughter sometimes practices with two ankle braces, two knee straps, shoulder tape and a wrist brace. She has an autoimmune thing that rest won't necessarily cure, and her rheumatologist and PT have both signed off on practice as long as she feels like doing it. I've heard a lot of comments from other moms about not letting her practice if she's hurt that badly. It takes some time to tell them that when she's resting she actually feels worse, and the strength and conditioning of gymnastics has helped her tremendously with her health and her pain. Sometimes taping up and pushing through really is tge right choice, but it takes an incredibly strong kid and mom to enforce rest when it's needed! I hope your kiddo has a great summer of practice!

tpMom,

I also have an autoimmune illness, so I do understand that there are times when practice with a brace is actually better than no practice at all. I hope I didn't come across as criticizing that. I apologize.

But it has been a frustrating set of months, with lots of passive criticism about my dd taking so long to come back. One reason she ended up so injured was a coach pushing her to run through shin splints last year and then a coach who kept minimizing her pain and suggesting that she must not be trying hard enough. And then all the pressures from other parents and kids who actually brag about disregarding medical orders or not being truthful with the doctors and continue training through injuries. It creates so much pressure on these kids.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back