WAG Refocusing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LGnyc

Proud Parent
Both DD and I have been so drilled down on what she can't do because of her injury, we've lost sight of what she's gained, both in skills and resiliency. I've read all these mom brags this summer and just felt sad that I couldn't share any of my own and I realized that's just not the case.
1. She got her standing back tuck.
2. She locked in her front layout.
3. She learned how to do a FLO FLO on tumble track and is starting to move it on to floor, but FLO FT.
4. She's getting six pack abs - and she's really fired up about it.
5. AND MOST IMPORTANT, she's got a really positive attitude about the year despite injury.
Okay, moment over.

Mine is just finishing her stint with the same thing. Her forward tumbling is getting amazing!!!

Tell me all. What level is she? What fun skills did she get while she was out? What made her get through it? Has she started transitioning back in and how is it going?

I totally hear you on this post! I felt the same way last year! So glad your DD is getting new skills!

To share our journey, my DD was out for 10 months on bars and vault due to an elbow injury, which resulted in surgery. She spent a ton of time on tumble track, and doing some floor and beam skills with one arm - even made to L9 regionals on floor using one arm. Now that she is back in the swing of things, a few incredible things happened.
1) She can twist - probably the best back twister on her team due to all the tumble track time. Does the twists out of round offs on floor - not BHS - working her 2.5 on floor.
2) FLO-FLO - (anything punch front tumbling) got good - and close to FLO-FF on floor
3) Because she was off for so long, and we weren't sure she'd do vault and bars again, her mental mind-set changed - for the better. She manages fear better on the harder skills. She wanted to catch up to her friends, and she really wants to do college gymnastics, and she has made peace with fear - she knows time is her friend and sets smaller goals on her own. This is the best thing that happened after being off.

I know the question above was not for me, but she started back to all events in May. Her L9 bars are almost there - has all the needed skills but needs to connect them now. Vault was where she injured her arm (Yurchenko) so mentally had to switch vaults. Doing a front HS Front tuck vault - coming along nicely on matts in the pit but still needs to move it to hard landing. Beam and floor got upgraded, so good there!

I totally hear you on this post! I felt the same way last year! So glad your DD is getting new skills!

To share our journey, my DD was out for 10 months on bars and vault due to an elbow injury, which resulted in surgery. She spent a ton of time on tumble track, and doing some floor and beam skills with one arm - even made to L9 regionals on floor using one arm. Now that she is back in the swing of things, a few incredible things happened.
1) She can twist - probably the best back twister on her team due to all the tumble track time. Does the twists out of round offs on floor - not BHS - working her 2.5 on floor.
2) FLO-FLO - (anything punch front tumbling) got good - and close to FLO-FF on floor
3) Because she was off for so long, and we weren't sure she'd do vault and bars again, her mental mind-set changed - for the better. She manages fear better on the harder skills. She wanted to catch up to her friends, and she really wants to do college gymnastics, and she has made peace with fear - she knows time is her friend and sets smaller goals on her own. This is the best thing that happened after being off.

I know the question above was not for me, but she started back to all events in May. Her L9 bars are almost there - has all the needed skills but needs to connect them now. Vault was where she injured her arm (Yurchenko) so mentally had to switch vaults. Doing a front HS Front tuck vault - coming along nicely on matts in the pit but still needs to move it to hard landing. Beam and floor got upgraded, so good there!

I actually sent this post to my DD to inspire her although yours is much more advanced. Unfortunately despite the great attitude she had when I posted, she's a little paralyzed right now. She's so worried about the journey back (she's done this 3 times before and knows how hard it is to regain skills and catch up) that she's hanging back. I'm trying to help her take it one day at a time. Today it's cartwheels and walkovers and tap swings. Who knows what is next? But I think the gym might not do the first meet until December - or even if there is one in November, she might skip just to give her a chance to gain her footing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back