Parents Region 8 Bars level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There is an execution deduction of up to 0.4 for a clear hip not hitting handstand at every optional level.

This is what we were told during evaluations last season at our level 6 meets. So we were being deducted for not hitting to handstand.

My dd competed clear hip HS as a level 7. I didn't see a single clear hip HS at level 6 (we competed 6 all season and this past season 7 all year, so lots of meets). At level 7 I would say 25% to a third had their clear hip to HS. It is hard, hard, hard! My level 9 still doesn't have hers though and likely never will. So what are your other reasons for thinking your gym is behind on bars? The clear hip HS is nice, but it isn't 100% essential at any level.

I know it depends on your area, but all the girls that made our regional level 6 team and all star team (top 20 girls) made their cast to handstand and clearhip to handstand. Now we took the bigger deductions because our routine was
Kip
Cast handstand
Clearhip
Squat On
Cast handstand
Fly away

while every single one of them did
Kip
Squat On
Kip
Cast handstand
Clear hip to handstand
Fly away

I love DD's bars. She works so hard. I see her feel defeated everyday because 1 year of constant drills, repetition and countless hours working these skills. I guess we just don't know if we are doing everything with in reason. I have watched other gyms practice and I feel like we aren't missing anything. I know she will get it when she is ready, I just want her to progress.

Now of course the 4 girls in our gym area that made the team "magically" all of a sudden have their giants, pirouettes, staldders and DD just showed me a video of them doing doubles and landing them. So the more I think about it, the more I feel like they are holding their girls back. I mean we just finished our season and for these other gyms to post "brand new skills" which have been amounting to solid level 8 bars, beam and floor is frustrating as a parent.

I guess that is a whole other rant. I wish these gyms would get punished for holding their girls back.

This is what we were told during evaluations last season at our level 6 meets. So we were being deducted for not hitting to handstand.
According to USAG, on a clear hip circle, as long as a gymnast reaches 45º in Level 6 or Level 7, there is no deduction because they are not subject to the 0.05 deduction on a "C" Clear Hip that is between 11º and 20º from handstand.
There is up 0.35 - 0.4 deduction if it is under horizontal. At horizontal, it is a 0.3 deduction. Between horizontal and 45º, the deduction is 0.05-0.25.
Clear Hip Circle.png

l6 clear hip.jpg

I know it depends on your area, but all the girls that made our regional level 6 team and all star team (top 20 girls) made their cast to handstand and clearhip to handstand. Now we took the bigger deductions because our routine was
Kip
Cast handstand
Clearhip
Squat On
Cast handstand
Fly away

while every single one of them did
Kip
Squat On
Kip
Cast handstand
Clear hip to handstand
Fly away

I love DD's bars. She works so hard. I see her feel defeated everyday because 1 year of constant drills, repetition and countless hours working these skills. I guess we just don't know if we are doing everything with in reason. I have watched other gyms practice and I feel like we aren't missing anything. I know she will get it when she is ready, I just want her to progress.

Now of course the 4 girls in our gym area that made the team "magically" all of a sudden have their giants, pirouettes, staldders and DD just showed me a video of them doing doubles and landing them. So the more I think about it, the more I feel like they are holding their girls back. I mean we just finished our season and for these other gyms to post "brand new skills" which have been amounting to solid level 8 bars, beam and floor is frustrating as a parent.

I guess that is a whole other rant. I wish these gyms would get punished for holding their girls back.

Don't get so upset...it happens everywhere and as some call it, sandbagging?
Don't worry about state team. If you are at a gym where bars are a problem, then you have to live with it. Maybe you can gently guide your daughter.....don't let her feel discouraged about not having her piourette, or stalder....that's silly. She should be focusing only on Giants and all the handstand requirements....free hip handstands don't come into play until L8, and many L7 don't have it....more important are the cast handstands. And yes, there are lots of optionals gymnasts who are working ahead of where they compete....its just the way it is....enjoy your DD journey! She sounds like a great gymnasts and like she works very hard!

Don't get so upset...it happens everywhere and as some call it, sandbagging?
Don't worry about state team. If you are at a gym where bars are a problem, then you have to live with it. Maybe you can gently guide your daughter.....don't let her feel discouraged about not having her piourette, or stalder....that's silly. She should be focusing only on Giants and all the handstand requirements....free hip handstands don't come into play until L8, and many L7 don't have it....more important are the cast handstands. And yes, there are lots of optionals gymnasts who are working ahead of where they compete....its just the way it is....enjoy your DD journey! She sounds like a great gymnasts and like she works very hard!

Agree! I get frustrated too but I just have to remember that in the end achieving their personal best is what matters not scores or placements. Making it to regionals would be nice but it all comes down to one performance at state and you just never know how it will go. It does sound like these girls weee way more advanced on bars than L6 if they already have stalders, etc. it's not really a fair comparison when you think about it. But your dd will get there! Just have faith and lot of patience! Skip watching practice for a couple of months and maybe next time you watch she will surprise you with her progress.

Is it safe to assume you meant to say cast to handstand rather than clear hip to handstand? I wouldn't expect a clear hip to handstand given that giants are still on strap bar, and we're talking about level 6.

Giants and casts to handstand take a long time. Moving from strap bar to real bar is long as well. That period where your kid is dying to get them and you're hoping they're just around the corner is somewhere around 20 years long.

I would tell your dd to focus on clear hips to horizontal, cast handstands, and Giants......all with tight hollow form.....without this, there is no point in thinking of stalders, clear hip handstands.....also, the flyaway must show rise.....condition tons of press handstands, and 3/4 giants....also practice lots of cast handstands, drop kip, back to cast handstand......the more in a row, the better.
Maybe ask the coach if the strap bar Giants can be done with gloves vs. the pvc....the gloves give them the feel for the wrist shift, while the other does not.
Clear hip to above horizontal, because even Level 5 is supposed to rise up at the end of the clear hip, and because I don't want to go find my book, I believe Level 5 is above horizontal.

Clear hip that is not to hand stand is considered a B, and there is up to .4 deduction for not hitting vertical. All I know is my dd competed a clear hip to vertical handstand from level 7-level 10. Her coach would not have it any other way. Most optionals past level 6 have a CH to HS in our state/region. Without it, they are not competitive.

http://www.kids-in-motion.com/upload/Level 5 Bars.pdf

The level 5 bar routine has been scanned by this web page, and level 5 is clear hip to above horizontal. That is why I posted above that a level 6 should be training a clear hip to above horizontal as a minimum. If you aim for horizontal and miss, you will not get B credit for the clear hip for going below horizontal, as well as lose .4. If you aim for above horizontal and come up short, you most likely will still be at horizontal and will get B credit for the skill (as well as lose .35)

The level 5 bar routine has been scanned by this web page, and level 5 is clear hip to above horizontal. That is why I posted above that a level 6 should be training a clear hip to above horizontal as a minimum. If you aim for horizontal and miss, you will not get B credit for the clear hip for going below horizontal, as well as lose .4. If you aim for above horizontal and come up short, you most likely will still be at horizontal and will get B credit for the skill (as well as lose .35)
A clear hip is a B regardless of height as long as it shows clear support(unless it hits handstand for C).

This is correct......in L6 most of our girls were not hitting the horizontal mark and we're getting killed, but the coach was focusing on cast HS and Giants so I guess he chose the sacrifice the clear hip a bit.....the kids who were not hitting ALL their handstands were getting killed too......but in L7 bar score went up generally.....
L5- L7 is a big jump in the way of bars skills.....it really separates the kids who go on, and the ones who don't.....
The best routines I saw at regionals in L6 looked like,
K Cast handstand.....HOLD for a second.
Free Hip to about 45d above horizontal....( form overtook height above horizontal so an archly clear hip handstand did not score better than a good form clear hip to 45)
Pike on, or sole circle.
Jump hollow, Kip cast handstand, HOLD, flyaway with big height.

The execution deductions for height are correct but the clear hip evaluation of height for value part is not. A clear hip is either a B or a C. If the hips don't clear the bar then it's a back hip circle and an A. Hips clear bar it's a B.

The execution deductions for height are correct but the clear hip evaluation of height for value part is not. A clear hip is either a B or a C. If the hips don't clear the bar then it's a back hip circle and an A. Hips clear bar it's a B.
Got it. The horse is dead. It was 4 in the morning and I'd been working for hours and wasn't clear. SORRY. My point was to aim for above horizontal as a level 6 and not just horizontal, because even level 5 has to hit above horizontal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back