WAG Region 8 Championships

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3rd_time_around

Proud Parent
Judge
Anyone want to share a room tomorrow night? I don't have reservations yet!!  at least my Explorer is big enough to sleep in... 

By the way, what was up with reservations to get the discounted rates being March 21? The meets weren't even until the 23-25! We're supposed to make reservations before we know if our daughter qualified? That's too presumptuous for me, and I'm a little superstitious I guess. They ran out of rooms, and if you waited to see if you were going then you're out of luck. Not very well thought out IMO. And obviously not enough rooms in Jackson. How will they handle Nationals next year? 

Hope you find a room. We were in Jackson ms last year for the xcel regionals. We stay about 10 outside of the city, close to a shopping center. It was a quick, easy ride into Jackson from there. I am sure there are plenty of hotels if you look beyond the 15 min radius.

But yes, Always book the whole weekend ahead of time and cancel as needed.

Yes, but like I said, I don't like booking until we're sure we qualified. I feel like if I do, then she will have a terrible meet. Regular invitationals, no problem, but something that requires a good score no way! Other parents at our gym felt the same way. But they still ran out of rooms, regardless.

Congratulations to your daughter for making it to regionals. That should be a lot of fun. I understand and know many people who feel the way you do; don't want to "jinx" it and be presumptuous. However, realize that there are probably more who feel otherwise. So if you want a room at the host hotel make reservations ahead. If not, you stand a chance of not being at the host hotel not to worry because there are many other hotels in the surrounding area.

I think it is all a matter of perspective. You can look at making reservations ahead as being optimistic not presumptuous. Look and think of the future as being bright instead of uncertain.:)

The mom who made reservations for our coaches called hotels after the schedule had come out and managed to find rooms at the Regionals rate (people adjusted their reservations or cancelled them). Good luck to your daughter this weekend!

You do not want a hotel in Jackson, MS, if that is the Jackson you are referring to. Stay in Madison, Ridgeland, or Flowood. It will be much safer.

Sorry, can't help with a room reservation but count us in on making optimistic-vote-of-confidence reservations for the entire season. :) I think our entire 9/10 team made reservations up to and including their respective championships by August of last year. Truth be, I think all of us also have picked our flights for championships and hope to be dialing airlines the minute awards are over.

Self fulfilling phophecy...we can only hope!:D

Good luck to everyone this weekend!

I am staying at a beautiful hotel in Jackson..are you saying that I shouldn't venture out? Is the area that bad? I am hungry, but after reading your post I am afraid to leave :)

I am staying at a beautiful hotel in Jackson..are you saying that I shouldn't venture out? Is the area that bad? I am hungry, but after reading your post I am afraid to leave :)

Someone please answer! I need to know! My friend lives just outside Jackson and she said the same thing. So is the Days Inn out? I still do not know where I'll be staying...if I'll be.

Anyone want to share a room tomorrow night? I don't have reservations yet!!  at least my Explorer is big enough to sleep in... 

By the way, what was up with reservations to get the discounted rates being March 21? The meets weren't even until the 23-25! We're supposed to make reservations before we know if our daughter qualified? That's too presumptuous for me, and I'm a little superstitious I guess. They ran out of rooms, and if you waited to see if you were going then you're out of luck. Not very well thought out IMO. And obviously not enough rooms in Jackson. How will they handle Nationals next year? 

I thought that was silly too, I called the Hilton the morning after state and was told the block rate expired 4 days prior. I told them that I just found out I was coming! I'm with you, I was not about to jinx my daughter by booking early!

I'm going to call this morning and cancel my Sat. Night if you need it. I booked Fri and Sat at the host hotel (Marriott) but we decided last night that we would come on back after the meet instead of staying another night.

The Hyatt place in ridgeland is really nice. I live fairly close to the Jackson area and I would never stay in the city. There are some places I go and eat in Jackson. I don't know about the days inn. I have never been there. There are many hotels in the city where only shady business goes on.

I am sure that some of the hotels are ok though. I just don't know which ones.

Thanks for the offer, but its too much $$ for me. I ended up in Pearl. Went to Jackson to look around a high-tailed it out of there. What a scary place! I can't believe they're hosting this meet here. Sorry if that upsets anyone, but it is really bad, and nothing to do here. I heard that next year JO nationals will be here. ::shudder:: I hope they don't expect everyone to book before the Regional meet to get a discount.

I am at the Best Western, and I have a large, nice room with a refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, free internet, and free HOT breakfast at a GREAT price. If we come to Nationals next year and its here, I will book our room here. Very nice desk staff, too. She really helped me out.

Yes, Pearl is a good place to stay. Jackson itself is scary, but there are a lot of great towns around it. There is a planetarium in Jackson. Also, at the corner of 55 and Highway 25/ Lakeland Drive, there is a great Children's museum and Science Museum. If you travel a little further down Highway 25, there is an Agriculture museum. Go a little further on and there is a great outdoor mall. This is in the Flowood area. If you have to go back next year, that would be a great play to stay and you could find plenty to do. There is a Bass Pro Shop and a great movie theater in Pearl called Tinseltown. North of Jackson in the Madison Ridgeland area, there is a Malco movie theater that is nice and the Renaissance Shopping Center which is too pricey for me. If you see anyone at the meet from Courthouse Gymnastics, it is located right off of Lakeland Drive in Flowood.

I love Flowood (Highway 25, Lakeland Drive). I go there often. That is my recommendation of where to stay if you have to go back.

I heard that next year JO nationals will be here. ::shudder:: I hope they don't expect everyone to book before the Regional meet to get a discount.
How would people get there? Fly to NO and drive up? Yes, there are regional jets that go in there, but they're not cheap.

We flew into Jackson last year. It was more expensive than other flights, but not outrageous. Certainly better than 15+ hours in the car. Others flew to TN and drove the rest

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back